1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastering skim job.. Quote seems high

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by 413x, 14 May 2021.

1. 413x

Capodecina

Got my first quote. And I have to say it seems high to me. But maybe it isn't.

I'll add a few pics. But the quote for this was 350 (he didn't come round)

I don't think it will take a day. But even with a day rate of 200 (which is what I've read is on the high side) this price seems excessive.

Just the walls on this.. Wallpaper is removed

[​IMG]

All of this except the purple wall top middle and left including small patch of ceiling

[​IMG]

I was expecting (hoping) for 100 less than the quote

2. watercooledman

Hitman

Less than 100 years good luck

3. robfosters

Caporegime

Quote seems reasonable to me. £250 would be very cheap for that job.

4. theone8181

Soldato

Seems like quite alot of wall to do. I paid 100 quid a few years ago just for a ceiling skimmed, yours looks like a lot more work. I suspect it will be slow work due to it being narrow and not a wide room.

5. Hedge

Capodecina

Thats a fair price.

6. 200sols

Sgarrista

Lots of corners, tight space, skimming over artex. Possible wall prep depending on the how the wallpaper glue comes off. Days works for 2 people inc materials doesn't sound bad.

7. Buffman

Sgarrista

As above lots of corners and awkward space. Seems reasonable to me

8. xb8browney

Soldato

£350 seems about right we normally pay that per room (big rooms)

9. Saytan

Mobster

When you look at it like that it always seems much more reasonable.

I think people forget that you're paying people's pre-tax rate, costs of doing business etc etc. With all that in, £350 isn't a lot.

10. Participant

Caporegime

Sounds very reasonable to me.

People have to live.

11. theone8181

Soldato

Also OP if you think it will take less than a day, give it a go:cry:. I see plastering as a bit of a black art.

12. Saytan

Mobster

nearly all these house jobs can be done yourself to a good standard if you go slowly and think very carefully about every step. Not plastering. it *has* to be done at speed and with a "touch".

13. lookitsjonno

Mobster

I paid £280 for a small bedroom last year, took the guy the best part of a day. Sounds very reasonable that

14. Basher

Sgarrista

Seems very reasonable to me. Will probably be a couple of people + materials. Easily £350 worth.

15. DanTheMan

Mobster

Yeah seems fair to me. We paid £700 for hallway, stairs, landing and a small 2m x 2m box room but it was 4 young lads who came in and blitzed it in a day.

The quotes for single / 2 plasterers were £1100+ so £350 for that seems about right.

As said, the angles and tight spaces of a hallway will always add cost as they tend to take longer to do properly.

16. 413x

Capodecina

Thanks guys. Obviously the first job I had done must have been really cheap and given me a false. Sense of price!

17. 413x

Capodecina

I'll try most things. Plastering. Nope!

18. Peerzy

Soldato

Having had about 5 rooms + hallways plastered in the last 12 months by someone very good and honest I'd say £350 is about right for that. £200 is a fair rate for a decent plasterer and then they'll be a bit of materials. I suspect looking at it that it would be just a bit more than a day which is why it's £350 (£200 for 1 day, £50 for materials and then £100 to either extend the single day by a few hours or come back the next day / start the afternoon before with prep).

Not coming round is a bit odd though, unless he's seen a few decent photos how does he know they walls are blown / need bonding / loads of extra prep?

19. Buffman

Sgarrista

This is a fair point, remember that if he just skims a blown wall it'll look great until after he's left /been painted then it'll show all the cracks again

20. explicit4u

Capodecina

If it wasn't your front door area I'd say give it a go yourself, it's actually a fun job once you're confident enough on the theory. Decent hawk, rigid trowel, and a speedskim and you'd be surprised how well it can come out for a non-pro... that being said I did have to use a bit of red devil filler to get it perfectly smooth.

£350 is a good price too for that area.