Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Havent posted in a while but ran my second marathon at the weekend so decided it was time for an update. My previous attempt was a 3hr 35min windermere marathon three years ago, and I'd wanted to go sub 3h 30min since then.

After a few months off due to knee pain (forcing me to abort training for last years Edinburgh M), I started training again at the start of the summer for the Chelmsford Marathon (this last weekend, October 22nd).

I felt my injury had been brought on by going too hard in the training previously, so for this marathon I decided on a very simple 3 runs a week training schedule. Those three runs would comprise one speed workout, one strength and one long run. The long run would peak with 3 x 20+mile runs in the 5-7 week window ahead of the race before tapering down. The other two runs would be ~45 minutes in duration.

I also cycle a reasonable amount (~100miles/week) and I kept this going throughout the training.

With this plan I avoided injury and it was very easy to fit in to my hectic family/work lifestyle. I arrived at the start line feeling fit and well - this is half the battle in my view. It was a very windy day, with the first ~15 miles into a 16-20mph headwind. Despite the tailwind back to the finish I slowed slightly (ended up with a 2 minute positive split) and as previously had to give it everything to avoid slowing significantly more.

Finished up with a pb of 8 minutes and crept under my target with a 3hr 27 minute time. Very pleased, although the good for age time (3hr 15, I'm 46) still feels a long long way away...Chelmsford was really well marshalled and a great event.

Have since signed up for Boston (UK) next year where I'll try to claw out another couple of minutes.....it is apparently very flat and I am hoping for less wind.

Cheers

D

Caporegime
^^^ well done! a 2 minute positive split is probably close to optimal. A negative split is nice but physiologically a very small positive is liekly to yield the faster time (of course a large positive split is disaster emanating form pacing mistakes).
Sounds like you are basically doing the FIRST training plan, which works OK for people that love to cross-train or are very injury prone. It wont give you the fastest time but as long as you do enough cycling and you o it hard then the training will work for many. You mind find a good payoff by adding a 4th day of an easy general aerobic run of around 10 miles.

main thing is build off your current fitness instead of letting it fade away through the winter. Take a couple of weeks easy and then get back out there.

Soldato
Back from my first park run. I enjoyed it and definitely benefited from that slight competitive mindset.

Not sure how long they take to release times but my watch suggested 30:40 which I’m ok with. I’m also not sure how they actually track times given that you just collect a tag at the end to be scanned. Can any of the more regular runners advise?

One other thing is does anyone use an Apple Watch? I’ve ordered one as I can get it cheap but I’m not sure I’ll like it.

I really like the Garnin Connect app and all the information it gives. I’ve recently been linking my runs into Strava as I know that’s popular but it looks like to get HR charts and other bits of info you have to pay which I don’t want to do. (D.P - I know you say not to focus on it early on but it’s informative and I like to see it even if I don’t focus on it)

Wondering whether to sell the Apple Watch and then buy the new Vivaactive 3. I want to keep smart functionality but I want something more watch like than my Original Vivoactive.

Caporegime
Well done on the 5k, more important than time is enjoyment!

Avoid the Apple watch for running, it just doesn't work well. Something like the Garmin 220 would be much better. Looked for a refurbished Garmin watch, they have the same warranty as new. I paid paid something like $150 for my Garmin 920XT which is crazy cheap for that kind of watch.http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/politics/first-charges-mueller-investigation/index.html

Caporegime
Got my last long run in yesterday. 22 miles with 4 easy, 5 at 6:40 pace, 1 easy, 5 at 6:40 and the res at zone 3.5. around 7:15 pace average and 1000ft ascent. Harder than it should have been but I've not recovered from my cold and have felt fatigued all week.

Now just some shorter easy runs and the ocasional easy intervals to maintain leg turnover.

Associate
Back from my first park run. I enjoyed it and definitely benefited from that slight competitive mindset.

Not sure how long they take to release times but my watch suggested 30:40 which I’m ok with. I’m also not sure how they actually track times given that you just collect a tag at the end to be scanned. Can any of the more regular runners advise?

One other thing is does anyone use an Apple Watch? I’ve ordered one as I can get it cheap but I’m not sure I’ll like it.

I really like the Garnin Connect app and all the information it gives. I’ve recently been linking my runs into Strava as I know that’s popular but it looks like to get HR charts and other bits of info you have to pay which I don’t want to do. (D.P - I know you say not to focus on it early on but it’s informative and I like to see it even if I don’t focus on it)

Wondering whether to sell the Apple Watch and then buy the new Vivaactive 3. I want to keep smart functionality but I want something more watch like than my Original Vivoactive.

I use an Apple Watch, i really rate it for the running, HR monitoring is good also.
Links automatically through the phone to Strava and auto uploads etc.

Soldato
Yeah it was definitely enjoyable. Also got told about another which is closer to home so will give that a go next.

What’s the difference between the proper “running” watches and the more generic ones? I’ve had my Vivoactive since around May 2015 and have found it great. I just want something which looks more like a watch for 24/7 use as I need it to track steps to get my discounts. The Apple Watch for example is pretty much free as long as you do certain amounts of activity each month.

Dave - do you pay for Strava? I use the Garmin app for so much. It tracks sleep, steps and my runs along with giving detailed info for things like HR, pace and Elevation. From what I can see the free version of Strava only gives you info on your course and then some breakdowns on segments (which is quite good).

Associate
Yeah it was definitely enjoyable. Also got told about another which is closer to home so will give that a go next.

What’s the difference between the proper “running” watches and the more generic ones? I’ve had my Vivoactive since around May 2015 and have found it great. I just want something which looks more like a watch for 24/7 use as I need it to track steps to get my discounts. The Apple Watch for example is pretty much free as long as you do certain amounts of activity each month.

Dave - do you pay for Strava? I use the Garmin app for so much. It tracks sleep, steps and my runs along with giving detailed info for things like HR, pace and Elevation. From what I can see the free version of Strava only gives you info on your course and then some breakdowns on segments (which is quite good).

I did have a Nike Watch, it was good, but the Apple Watch makes the whole experience better and its easy to use.

I did originally sign up for Strava Premium, they offer 30 days free. I cancelled it after this though, as I don't really need the additional benefits.
The free version is fine, tracks all the info of your course and you can name segments to track how you do against them in the future etc.

I think the Premium version shows things such as your heart rate zones and gives you a "Suffer score". I can't remember the rest of the features but they are not worth the £6.99 a month imo.

Caporegime

Proper running watches have much better support for things like workouts where you can set intervals duration, they support many more features such as runnign dynamics with more data field options. many of the non runnign watches don't have ANT+ support so it is impossible to use some of the sensors such as the gamin footpod and the chest heart rate monitor (optical heart rate monitors are useless), displays and UI are optimized for use during running rather than sat at a desk. The differences can be even larger for non-running activities, e.g. for cycling many of the smart watches wont have any support for power meters. There is also a battery life issue. My Garmin 920 will do nearly 24hours, some of the smart watches will be 4-5 hours with GPS, which for me is useless as even some training runs will be over 8.OF course msot people don't run that far but does mean you have to charge frequently. Again a bigger problem for cyclists, because even if you are more a casual cyclist you might do a 6-7 hour day ride in to the hills etc. There can also be differences with GPS accuracy, e.g. the Apple watch just sin't that good.

Strava is about the community, trackign what friends are up to etc. For an actual detailed analysis of your data then nothing beats TrainingPeaks.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
So, I completed my first 10k on Sunday after my posts the other day:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1251729527

56:22 chip time. To say I'm chuffed is an understatement. From having to part walk 2.5 miles to running a 10k race non-stop in a month is pretty good going. The last 1.5 miles was virtually all downhill. Had I known prior (I went into it completely blind) I'd have picked up my pace as I had plenty left. My friend did ~53 and I let him drop me about the half way mark but I don't think I could have kept him in check all the way, but there was more there for next time :)

Got my sights set on some more events, possibly the Chorley Fire later this month and I've semi agreed to do a half marathon next year as something to work towards.

Soldato
Called my doctors today for the results of my xray and apparently no signs of bone injury, nor bone/joint abnormalities which I was pleased with. Also not done any running and been wearing metatarsal pads for the last 2 weeks or so and my toes are feeling better. I intend to get back to running this week so will see how I go, will give it a gentle 5k and hopefully all will be well.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I was looking at that Chorley Fire thing (given i live here!), just not sure i want to commit as i've got a heavy Saturday planned and am out on the Saturday night.

If you're anything like me, the day after is an absolute write off and merely standing is usually a challenge. I don't have a blow out often but when in Rome and all that, haha. I'm not so far up the road in Whalley :)

Called my doctors today for the results of my xray and apparently no signs of bone injury, nor bone/joint abnormalities which I was pleased with. Also not done any running and been wearing metatarsal pads for the last 2 weeks or so and my toes are feeling better. I intend to get back to running this week so will see how I go, will give it a gentle 5k and hopefully all will be well.

That's good news. Start slow and build it back up. Never had to contend with an injury cycling and not been running long enough. Well I lie I had 3 hours facial surgery from a serious cycling accident however that didn't stop my ability to ride a bike. My friend on the other hand ran a 10k in 1:06, slow for her due to an injury which turned out to be a broken leg she'd had for at least 6 weeks. Impressive!

Soldato
When i said a heavy Saturday it wasn't a heavy Saturday drinking. My parents have bought a new flat so i could be carrying a lot of boxes and doing DIY, then at a gig at night but will be driving so won't be hungover. More just tired from being on my feet all day.

I've signed up anyway. Even if i'm knackered and end up with a slow as balls 1:10 time at least i've done it and got practice in.

Soldato
Good work.

I've signed up for the Chorley 10k, it's only 17 days away so think i need to start planning on increasing distance as i've just been doing around 3 miles generally.

Upped it to 4 miles this morning and still felt alright. Think my plan will be to aim to do miles this Sunday and then 6 miles on the Sunday after. Thinking that if i aim for around 5 days a week and do 4 miles one day and 2 miles the next then i should build it up. How does that sound?

Associate
^^^ well done! a 2 minute positive split is probably close to optimal. A negative split is nice but physiologically a very small positive is liekly to yield the faster time (of course a large positive split is disaster emanating form pacing mistakes).
Sounds like you are basically doing the FIRST training plan, which works OK for people that love to cross-train or are very injury prone. It wont give you the fastest time but as long as you do enough cycling and you o it hard then the training will work for many. You mind find a good payoff by adding a 4th day of an easy general aerobic run of around 10 miles.

main thing is build off your current fitness instead of letting it fade away through the winter. Take a couple of weeks easy and then get back out there.

Thank you - some good insight.

I'm also working on my cadence. If I just run without thinking I'm around 165-168. Lets see if I can increase that - it certainly helped on the bike when I increased it.

Cheers

Soldato
Well it is time for me to post in this thread. I've recently started going to the gym in the past month mainly to gain a bit of upper body strength and put on a bit of muscle as I look like a 12 year old, but also to improve my general fitness and as someone who is suffering with depression the mental benefits are also major driving factor. I've spent the past few weeks trying out rowing, cycling and running and feel that running is probably my favourite for cardio work and to help release those all-important endorphins.
So I'm male, 30, weight 64Kg and 5'9", oh wait this isn't Tinder....

So far my personal bests are as follows:
1km 4:23 min/Km
5km 35:53 which is 7:11min/Km

I've done a few jogs of 3Km as well and I'm using Nike's run club as a guidance for training, however I'm having problems go so slow at times for example running recovery runs of 7:50 min/Km based on my figures. I can almost walk faster never mind jog/run and as a result I'm finding my calves are cramping at the slower speeds, any suggestions?

Another problem I have is keeping my heart rate down. It regularly sits around 180-200 for minutes at a time while running. It topped out at 213bpm while I busted out PB 1km time. The average heart rate was 201 while the max was the aforementioned 213. Average speed was 13.7 kph and the max was 15. How can I train my heart rate to come down while running? Is it just the more your run the more efficient it will become?

I've set myself a goal of running the Lurgan Park 5km on the 4th of March 2018 and using Training Peaks as training tool to help keep me on track. My other goals for this race would be to complete it, and get a time in around 30mins if possible. Once I've done the Lurgan run, I'll aim to do a few more 5kms before going for a 10km.

Anyway this post is more a ramble but it will also serve as a marker for me to come back too once I improve.

Back
Top Bottom