Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
OP
Thanks to Rotty for stickying it!

Now - calling all runners/non-runners, lets get this thread moving even further :)

More links, training guides and plans to come, but any help anyone can provide, post in here or email me.

Soldato
If anyone is interested in Nike+ trainers...

On the JJB Sports website you can get 20% off any Womens Nike+ trainers by entering the promotional code ZEST07 and 10% off Mens & Womens by entering the code CARD07 (obviously use ZEST07 if you're buying Womens :p). Starts tomorrow.

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone was thinking of buying any. :)

Soldato
Great thread Platypus, I'm gonna start properly again using the cool running couch to 5k guide here. Hopefully, I'll be able to go straight in at week 4 and see how I go from there. It seems a good guide, as it gives you a tangible goal of running for 30mins to go for. Once I reach that, it'll be time to maybe add some interval training and start looking at 5k races / trying to reach the 10k mark :D.

Caporegime
OP
TripleT said:
If anyone is interested in Nike+ trainers...

On the JJB Sports website you can get 20% off any Womens Nike+ trainers by entering the promotional code ZEST07 and 10% off Mens & Womens by entering the code CARD07 (obviously use ZEST07 if you're buying Womens :p). Starts tomorrow.

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone was thinking of buying any. :)
Thanks for the links TripleT & MOT, Do you know if this is a permanent offer TripleT? (If so I'll add it to the links section).

Soldato
Fantastic thread Platypus!

Running has never been my thing, I have only ever used it to aid fat loss, even then I sway more to the dietary side of fat reduction.... But anyway, you may have just inspired me to take it more seriously. :)

Good job mate!

Caporegime
OP
GordyR said:
Fantastic thread Platypus!

Running has never been my thing, I have only ever used it to aid fat loss, even then I sway more to the dietary side of fat reduction.... But anyway, you may have just inspired me to take it more seriously. :)

Good job mate!
Thanks Gordy. I sincerely hope you get the inspiration to take it up more seriously :)

Edited a few links, still working on a few more training plans, just awfully busy with the Paris/London business coming up.

Soldato
Figured it might be a good idea to get this going as a log like the weights thread above. I'm wondering what the best route to take it once I can run for 30mins comfortably. Was thinking two 30min runs, one run where I start adding a bit more time building towards maybe an hour and one interval run. Does that sound like a sensible progression?

Man of Honour
platypus said:
The muscle that runs down your shin is the Tibialis Anterior (or Interior), and probably goes stiff because you don't stretch it enough before warm ups, and your calf muscles aren't strong enough for your running action. Again taking it easy and building up slowly will help this.

I'm wondering if this is the issue I get. Basically for the last 2-3 years my shins feel really stiff if I run, or even if I walk very briskly for more than 10mins or so.

I never/very rarely used to get this when I was younger, so I figured it was just down to me doing very little exercise and having gained a fair bit of weight.

My hope is that if I start doing a bit of jogging (with stretching beforehand) that I'll be able to make it go away. I do walk a fair distance each day (30mins each way between the station and work) but this obviously isn't enough to restore the flexibility.

Associate
Whenever i run for more than 15 minutes something in my abdomen starts to really hurt, feels like a stitch but the more i keep running the worse it gets. Had it for over a year now and my Doctor is useless! I lost a lot of weight like 1.5 years ago, went from 16 stone to 10 stone but i can't see how that would affect it.
I really want to be able to run a marathon but this is really stopping me from getting anywhere.

Excellent thread by the way :)

Caporegime
OP
Mad old tory said:
Figured it might be a good idea to get this going as a log like the weights thread above. I'm wondering what the best route to take it once I can run for 30mins comfortably. Was thinking two 30min runs, one run where I start adding a bit more time building towards maybe an hour and one interval run. Does that sound like a sensible progression?
Are you aiming for a marathon MoT?

Caporegime
OP
HangTime said:
I'm wondering if this is the issue I get. Basically for the last 2-3 years my shins feel really stiff if I run, or even if I walk very briskly for more than 10mins or so.

I never/very rarely used to get this when I was younger, so I figured it was just down to me doing very little exercise and having gained a fair bit of weight.

My hope is that if I start doing a bit of jogging (with stretching beforehand) that I'll be able to make it go away. I do walk a fair distance each day (30mins each way between the station and work) but this obviously isn't enough to restore the flexibility.
A good excercise to build the calf muscles (aswell as I can explain it) is: Stand against a wall, and keeping the left leg straight, lift yourself up by standing on your toes of your right foot and repeat 10 times. Swap legs, rest for a minute and repeat. Do it three times (you'll be surprised how tiring it is). It's basically a calf step but without the gym machine.

If you do this on a daily basis, and build it up (I do 3x50 reps) you'll get the strength you need in your calf muscles.

Caporegime
OP
jamie2497 said:
Whenever i run for more than 15 minutes something in my abdomen starts to really hurt, feels like a stitch but the more i keep running the worse it gets. Had it for over a year now and my Doctor is useless! I lost a lot of weight like 1.5 years ago, went from 16 stone to 10 stone but i can't see how that would affect it.
I really want to be able to run a marathon but this is really stopping me from getting anywhere.
The only advice I could give here Jamie is that you seek medical advice elsewhere, ask your GP to refer you. Good luck with doing that marathon :)

Soldato
platypus said:
Are you aiming for a marathon MoT?

Not sure really, I'm running atm to improve my fitness and to be able to run if that makes any sense. I'd love to do something like the Great North Run and then perhaps make the step upto a marathon. Thing is though, I'd like to have good all round fitness rather and involve a weight routine into my exercise which would probably not be ideal with marathon running.

Caporegime
OP
Mad old tory said:
Not sure really, I'm running atm to improve my fitness and to be able to run if that makes any sense. I'd love to do something like the Great North Run and then perhaps make the step upto a marathon. Thing is though, I'd like to have good all round fitness rather and involve a weight routine into my exercise which would probably not be ideal with marathon running.
Well, if you want to you could give me an idea of what you're looking to do in terms of sessions/week, and at least aim for a goal (eg a half marathon at some point), and I could knock up a schedule for you?

Soldato
platypus said:
Well, if you want to you could give me an idea of what you're looking to do in terms of sessions/week, and at least aim for a goal (eg a half marathon at some point), and I could knock up a schedule for you?

Would probably be running three times a week, as I'll hopefully be starting to do 3 weights sessions a week and would need a rest day. Think half marathon would be a good thing to aim for, did one about 5/6 years ago, but it took me 2hrs45mins and walked most of it :p
Edit: There's a half marathon in Windsor on the 30th Sept which would be a good thing to aim for I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom