Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
^ I'd be out at 6am latest!

DP - any update on your recovery?

A little late but yeah, I started running about 2 weeks ago.
During the recovery I alternated 1 day aqua-jogging, 1 day on a treadmill hiking at 15%.
After 5 weeks I started adding some hikes outside that had a 2couple of minutes jogging at slow paces up hill. At 6 weeks I could start running, but kept things short mostly still hiking.

Since then i have progressed the distance and pace. I still take the down hills easy and wouldn't want to run far at my regular pace on a road but doing the trails with big elevation gains is in general much easier on the leg with less impact. I don;t feel any issues so I assume it is all fine, but I'm a little paranoid.

I basically have about 2 weeks of training before I should taper for the next race: Eiger 1010km with 6700m climbing. I will be so under-trained it will be comical but at least I can get to the start line and see what happens. If I run strategically and slowly I might just make it to the finish. Downhills are my big concern as without training at all for them in months and months, my quads just don;t take the impact.

Overall I don't seem massively slower, but I get tired very quickly. I somewhat expected the opposite.

Caporegime
sadly ive not ran for a week due to my back going (again)
and weather is getting TOO HOT to run in :(

Start running early and just go slower. Add walking breaks to let your temperature drop a little. Find some shady routes under trees.

It isn't pleasant by any means but you can get the runs done. You should also find that after a week of running in the heat you acclimate and things get a little easier

Caporegime
Ah interesting. I've been shoving some SIS Electrolyte in my water recently as picked a huge tub up cheaply.

I tried a new running app yesterday called "RunGo"

I've been looking at new routes and using Strava Route planner had mapped a few out. Problem is there are lots of country lanes around me with small forks/turns and it'd be easy to get lost without constantly checking the map. Since Strava on IOS doesn't offer turn by turn navigation i found "RunGo"

It seems decent so far. You can create routes using the app along with finding other peoples routes. It also syncs your run between the phone app and Apple watch app. Something which annoys me about Strava.

I had created a few routes but thought i'd create a route i know first as a test before putting my faith in its hands.

It started off great, giving me some regular updates about the route. However went silent for quite a while as i ran around 1.5miles along a road. I knew i was always meant to go straight but would've been nice for it to tell me to go straight over roundabouts etc. I then got to the turn point and it worked out my pace and said "in 30 seconds turn left", i quite liked that rather than assuming people can judge distances. It also told me to turn at the actual junction.

The problem came due to my run taking me through a park, over a footbridge and then on some bridleways and out of the way footpaths. It told me i was off route quite a bit but not too annoyingly. Not helped by the fact i changed my route to add a bit of extra distance.

On the way home it picked me up again and guided me home. However a few times it told me to turn right into a hedge when there was no right turn within 200m either in front or behind. That's a worry!

I got home and it synced with Strava quite nicely.

Pros
Can create routes in app
Turn by Turn Navigation
App gives lots of readings (elevation charts, pace graphs)
Syncs with Strava

Cons
Turn by Turn can be a bit dodgy
Doesn't seem to pick up HR data (big issue for me)
Have to pay to sync to Strava

Overall, i think without HR data it's a wasted app which is a shame as otherwise it works well. Anyone else know of any apps which offer routes and turn by turn navigation? Might be worth using to try out new routes and then reverting back to Strava once you know where you're going.

I like to find running routes online using strava or similar to plot my own course. If there are only a few turns I will memories them otherwise I take my phone with with me for the first time. I don;t bother with anything like turn-by-turn navigation, but if I get to a junction and I'm not sure where to go it is useful to double check before adding a 4 miles detour to our 10 miles planned run!

Soldato
Start running early and just go slower. Add walking breaks to let your temperature drop a little. Find some shady routes under trees.

It isn't pleasant by any means but you can get the runs done. You should also find that after a week of running in the heat you acclimate and things get a little easier

Yes, i found this on Saturday. I wanted to get 10 miles in. Went out around 8:30 and was doing ok until around half 9 when it started feeling quite hot and i walked quite often. Then hit a patch of shade from mile 7 onwards and was fine for the rest of the run.

Yet i'm planning on trying to run when on holiday in Corfu!

Underboss

i know what you mean, id love to run early in the mornings, but as i only get around 6 hours sleep as it is because i start work early, it won't be good for me if i start running early early hours in the mornings. I would have to start running at like 3am :(

Caporegime
i know what you mean, id love to run early in the mornings, but as i only get around 6 hours sleep as it is because i start work early, it won't be good for me if i start running early early hours in the mornings. I would have to start running at like 3am :(

That is rough. When it gets really hot I start around 5am which is OK.

Clothing makes a big difference when its hot.. BodyGlide also becomes important to stop chaffing and getting bloody nipples.

Soldato

Clothing makes a big difference when its hot.. BodyGlide also becomes important to stop chaffing and getting bloody nipples.

Yes, i've been surprised at the difference between some compression tops where cheap ones (i think by Sondico) just made me overheat to insane levels. I remember one run i felt on the verge of collaps (it wasn't even very hot that day). Now i try and stick to UA, i find their stuff fits me really well and it's not expensive. Even in ~20C i can wear one of their compression tops under my t-shirts and not feel too hot.

My plan is to get out around 8-9am in Corfu and try for a daily 5k just to keep active. Will probably involve lots of stopping though as it's 27C even at that time. Hoping for a cool breeze.

Annoyingly i'm currently still feeling the effects of a heavy night Saturday night and haven't ran all week. Damn you getting old!

Underboss

yeah, I always wear a specific top for running , unless its winter, then i wear a normal base layer underneath, but over the top of that is running specific

i used to put some sort of cream on when i was on the bike all day, makes a huge difference

Caporegime
I feel like I am actually training now,but in 19miles and 7500ft yesterday in The sweltering heat, and I had some good days earlier in the week. 19500ft climbed (for mountain ultra i look at vertical ascent rather than distance).rest day today but I feel great, another 2500-3500 tomorrow. Same again next week then I have to taper

Soldato
Great work. Really please for you. I know how much I miss running now and not running in a week feels like ages and it’s not as much a part of my life as it is for you.

Went out for a run this morning. Went a bit late at 10am and it wasn’t too bad as there was a decent breeze but would be better earlier. Main issue was that our villa is on a mountain and I did nothing but uphill for 1.5miles which isn’t something I’m used to, the run back was obviously nicer but it’s on a narrow road and drivers here are a bit mental.

Have scoped out a run tomorrow which takes me across a bay where The Durrel family lived (not sure if any of you watch that show) which should be flatter.

Now I just have sun sea and booze!

Underboss
I feel like I am actually training now,but in 19miles and 7500ft yesterday in The sweltering heat, and I had some good days earlier in the week. 19500ft climbed (for mountain ultra i look at vertical ascent rather than distance).rest day today but I feel great, another 2500-3500 tomorrow. Same again next week then I have to taper

19500 ? Which mountain did you go up ? :D

Associate
So hot yesterday morning running parkrun no. 263

Today though did the first running of the Melksham 10K the cloud cover and cooler temp was welcome and managed to set a 10K best time of 45:00.7

Bit annoyed at just missing out on a sub 45 but over the moon with the time as my previous best was 46:14 set last month.

Was also the first time wearing my Nike Vaporfly 4% running shoes for a 10K after doing 2 Marathons in them this year. I won’t wear anything else now for racing, I just hope they last a while as it’s going to be expensive replacing them

Back
Top Bottom