Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Out for a 6 mile run today back to my Adidas Boston 7 from my New Balance 1080v9 and no problem in my right leg for this run.

I notice how much lighter they are also can absoloutely fly in them but it tough in the heat my times were slipping today.

Soldato
I need to get out soon. Not ran since last Sunday. Wanted to go yesterday but hangover and heavy rain successfully put me off.

Just bought a pair of Brooks Ghost 12. I've given up with the On Cloudflyers i bought. Barely used them recently and been using my Asics GT2000 which are a bit knackered.

Also set myself a goal of 100 miles for August. I've had various weeks where i've hit 25 miles in a week but rarely done it consistently. I usually average around 60-70 in a month so should be a challenge without being too difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yay. Finally went for a run this morning after intending to for the last few days. New trainers felt comfy straight off which is a bonus. Only issue is i had a cheap baselayer on and forget it always makes me overheat even when it's not that hot. Towards the end i actually felt like i had a pain in my left chest!

Got back to the gym for a shower and threw it straight into the bin. It's an old one from before i wised up to the act that spending a little extra on running clothes makes a big difference!

Also @Ian_Eb Fat Camp starts today. Weighed myself and was exactly 107kg. Figure if i post updates in here it's extra motivation!

Associate
Err Ok :) I can do likewise tomorrow morning (At work now)

Still not run anywhere, but I did get to spend the day yesterday unloading our freshly flooded caravan of all the wet bits and speaking to insurance, so that has to have consumed some calories!

Soldato
So what do folks use to wash gym/running/cycling wear very thoroughly, from time to time, to remove all sweat , I had been using biotex but it is biological.

I was about to buy some of this Halo stuff last night in Sainsbury
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/halo-proactive-sports-wash-laundry-detergent-1-litre/
it says it is non-bio, which you want otherwise it will destroy natural products - rubber/lycra/(smart)wool.
but the container says don't use it on wool - what the hell ?

Instead I ws now wondering if a disinfectant to use with non-bio is better , so this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dettol-Antibacterial-Laundry-Cleanser-Sensitive/dp/B01GQ9J220

[I cant find any previous reference to Halo in OC which is surprising as there are few 'sports' clothing friendly washes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Tech-Wash-Lt/dp/B011AG42RY costs the earth ]

EDIT: I capitalised part of the URL's and the link is destroyed ???

Soldato
To be honest i just use regular Bold and no fabric softener and then put the washing machine on "sports wash" mode. Sometimes put some of those little Fabreeze pellet things in too.

I have found some stuff can still hold smells after though so might check out that Halo sports wash stuff.

(Also your links are still broken)

Soldato
I wash mine with Halo detergent at 30°. Seems to do the job well.

Just got back from another run, same route as before but was using the alternate breathing pattern of 3 in, 2 out. Seemed to work really well, sometimes I think I just need to convince myself to keep going and not stop. I ended up running the 5.47 miles in 58:58. I'm hoping that by the time next year when I have the 10k, I can atleast run it in under an hour, just a little more to push on!

Associate
Hey folks

Whats the best website to see all the up and coming running events in the UK? I have googled it and loads of different websites come up but cant seem to find one thats all inclusive......

Ideally to include tough mudder type events also.

Soldato
Instead I ws now wondering if a disinfectant to use with non-bio is better , so this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dettol-Antibacterial-Laundry-Cleanser-Sensitive/dp/B01GQ9J220

so went for that ..@Asda - seems safe enough ? looks a bit like the domestos punchline

48432094046_e6c8b68fb6_b_d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom