Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
So what do folks use to wash gym/running/cycling wear very thoroughly, from time to time, to remove all sweat , I had been using biotex but it is biological.

<snip>

EDIT: I capitalised part of the URL's and the link is destroyed ???

We've been using Halo for years. Mainly at 40 deg and does a good job of dealing with stinky synthetic base layers.

Soldato
Out for a 11.4 mile run today @ 9:19 AVG pace everything went well until halfway but I do run some big hills and managed to be faster for the last 3 miles.

Need to try and work on consistently getting my times in the 8 minute per mile bracket I can run at that pace for 5 miles but start to slip to 9 minute miles.

Associate
I was out too today in Herts for my long run (13 miles). Was quite warm I found.

Did some 400m repeats earlier in the week. Tried to pace them so I could do 8, and with a good recovery inbetween so I didn't fade over the reps. Knocked a few seconds off the average rep this time (ca 77 seconds/400m) so happy my speed work is paying off. It's the hardest session of the week by far.

Soldato
I've decided to revise my August target down. I initially went for 100 miles but having looked back on Strava, my previous "best" month was 74 miles in January of this year. With an Average since Jan 18 of 40 miles/month and a 2019 average of 60miles/month.

Given i have just started paddleboarding and so want to find time for that too. I've decided my new goal is just to set a monthly distance record which will require 75 miles. I can then try and push on from that in September and onwards.

Associate
I've decided to revise my August target down. I initially went for 100 miles but having looked back on Strava, my previous "best" month was 74 miles in January of this year. With an Average since Jan 18 of 40 miles/month and a 2019 average of 60miles/month.

Given i have just started paddleboarding and so want to find time for that too. I've decided my new goal is just to set a monthly distance record which will require 75 miles. I can then try and push on from that in September and onwards.

I need to get back into running, since the Manchester marathon in April I have only ran 5 or 6 times. (I was running 15-25 miles a week) Completely lost any motivation.

Any ideas on how to get it back? I think I may have to enter into an event or something, hopefully that will do it.

Soldato
Yeah i think events are the only thing really. I moved house last year and completely tailed off because i had other stuff to do, so i signed up for the Manchester marathon.

I download all my data from Strava right back to November 16.

Wes47BB.png

What's funny is you can see the patterns. I pretty much stopped running in October 16 (i didn't initially record runs with Strava).

Then in November 2017 i did the Chorley 10k and you can see my mileage upped around that point. Then it dropped off.

Then i signed up for the Blackpool half marathon which was in April 2018 and again you can see it ramp up before and then drop off afterwards.

Then in October 2017 i signed up for the Manchester marathon and you can see my distances have been fairly consistent. I'm hoping to build on that and regularly hit around 70-80 miles/month.

Associate
Yeah i think events are the only thing really. I moved house last year and completely tailed off because i had other stuff to do, so i signed up for the Manchester marathon.

I download all my data from Strava right back to November 16.

Wes47BB.png

What's funny is you can see the patterns. I pretty much stopped running in October 16 (i didn't initially record runs with Strava).

Then in November 2017 i did the Chorley 10k and you can see my mileage upped around that point. Then it dropped off.

Then i signed up for the Blackpool half marathon which was in April 2018 and again you can see it ramp up before and then drop off afterwards.

Then in October 2017 i signed up for the Manchester marathon and you can see my distances have been fairly consistent. I'm hoping to build on that and regularly hit around 70-80 miles/month.

I suppose I better had.
In order to see all your runs you can use this website below; I use it quite often, saves having to manually keep track!

https://www.benwebb.net/strava/

Associate
Think I’ve used that before. Think it may have been you that last linked it. I couldn’t remember the link though so had to keep copying stuff from my activity page by page.

Yeah possibly, I have been using it for a couple of years now, its just nice and quick to get your times for multiple distances. I think I will go out tonight for a 5k......But lets see what the motivation is like at 5pm!

Soldato
Haha, my plan is to go out for around 8 miles tonight. Although as you say, when 5pm rolls around and it's still 25C it saps energy a lot!

What're peoples thoughts on times between runs? If i run tonight around 6pm and finish around 7:20. Is it too soon to then run around 5k at 6am tomorrow? I prefer my long runs at night but then it knocks me off for morning runs due to times and i was hoping to avoid having a rest day tomorrow.

Associate
Haha, my plan is to go out for around 8 miles tonight. Although as you say, when 5pm rolls around and it's still 25C it saps energy a lot!

What're peoples thoughts on times between runs? If i run tonight around 6pm and finish around 7:20. Is it too soon to then run around 5k at 6am tomorrow? I prefer my long runs at night but then it knocks me off for morning runs due to times and i was hoping to avoid having a rest day tomorrow.

I think I have only ever ran 1 training run in the morning, it doesn't agree with me, but that may be the way for me to get back into running, wake up 30 min earlier and blast out a 5k... I go on Holiday Monday, maybe I will try it when I am back!

Soldato
... expect to see some swimming tracks too ?

seems to have worked out .... just dunk the clothing overnight+ in a, permanent fixture, bucket with some of that ... and hand wash soaked tops every few days - no smell.
so went for that ..@Asda - seems safe enough ? looks a bit like the domestos punchline

48432094046_e6c8b68fb6_b_d.jpg

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well ran 10k for the first time must be in 25+ years since being a fit squadie :) not particularity quick though 60:09:17 although did have to stop for a seemingly endless gentleman's moment in the blackberry's :) The route was all over the shop at the end as only thinking of doing 6-7k and its all uphill for the first 3km as well :(

A little stiff/sore this morning but not to bad.

Soldato
I'm next aiming to run a sub 30 5k. I decided to run a 5k today to see how I get on. I came out with 33:24.

How much elevation do you generally run when you go out? My 5k today had around 382 elevation gain, 213 of that within the first mile. So its a bit of a hill to get up when I first start running.

Soldato
Tried to go out today for half marathon run but my right leg lost feeling again started pulling up after a mile and half so turned it into some interval work.

Very frustrating time at the moment as it seems to be very sporadic I run 11 miles fine on Sunday so I have booked a doctors appointment for next week.

Associate
I'm next aiming to run a sub 30 5k. I decided to run a 5k today to see how I get on. I came out with 33:24.

How much elevation do you generally run when you go out? My 5k today had around 382 elevation gain, 213 of that within the first mile. So its a bit of a hill to get up when I first start running.

Just checked my last 5k and it had a total of 15M altitude gain :)

My normal 10K has 175M of altitude gain.

Back
Top Bottom