Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Today just felt like a really good day to run. Weather was a little wet and the canal was really muddy, but it was an enjoyable run.

I ended up combining two of my routes and running 10.4 miles with an average pace around 9:01, I've never run over 10 miles before, so super happy. Next month I want to try atleast run a half marathon distance on one of my runs.

What running are you guys planning coming up to Christmas?

Soldato
Finally went to get my gait analysed in Watford and the guy hooked me up with some Saucony Triumph 17's. Sooooo comfortable it's amazing. I actually can't wait to go out and have a run to test them.

I also tried on some Asics which felt a lot firmer, until I started to run on the treadmil and then I could really feel the cushioning. They were £20 cheaper, but I went with the Saucony as they were more comfortable. I wish I'd taken note of what the Asics were, I might look for some online if I knew :( I guess I could order a few from John Lewis and send the ones back that I don't like... (Any recommendations for a larger guy with slightly wide feet?)

**EDIT** Nevermind, having checked their site, fairly sure they're these ones.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Today just felt like a really good day to run. Weather was a little wet and the canal was really muddy, but it was an enjoyable run.

I ended up combining two of my routes and running 10.4 miles with an average pace around 9:01, I've never run over 10 miles before, so super happy. Next month I want to try atleast run a half marathon distance on one of my runs.

What running are you guys planning coming up to Christmas?

Park run on Christmas day, wouldnt mind doing a half between now and then, but they seem to be few and far between.

Associate
I am hoping to try a couple of trial treadmill runs over the holidays to make sure my knee has recovered. It was early June that I injured it, so it if isn't right, then i'm not quite sure where to from there.

Soldato
I've found a local trail running group who meet on Tuesday, Thursdays and Sundays.

Aiming to meet up with them on Thursdays (4-5 mile run) and Sundays (10ish mile run). Should help take me to some new places rather than just run the same routes, also always good to push yourself a little more.

There are a few runs i'm debating, just not sure if i can be bothered.

Notably

Night Half in mid December - https://www.howlerevents.com/event/the-night-howler-trail-marathon-half-marathon/ - Seems a bit brutal

7 miler on NYE - https://www.madbullevents.com/so/bf...a_UVmMI6ziVQTgVRpWKcWjF9CWdv12aOOljWUV8#/main - Looks like it'd be a good laugh. Plus you get a pint at the end!

Soldato
Yeah it does, just not quite sure i'm ready for it at the moment. Might get a 10 miler on a trail done at the weekend and see how i fair and then check and make sure i'm not doing anything and enter.

They're good as they don't charge the earth for an event.

Soldato
In trying to up my miles I'm finding myself on very dark lanes with only a forward facing head torch. What are you guys using to light yourself up? I'm almost tempted to get a bike rear light for my head but it's not very elegant. What are you guys using?

I've gone from a 100 lumen cheapo head torch from Decathlon to a 450 lumen Petzl Actik Core. Should made a bit of a difference up front at least.

Soldato
I only light up the front of me and run on similar kinds of lanes.

My theory is that by lighting up in front of you shows you're there and then you'll be caught in headlights anyway. Plus it's fairly obvious you're a runner/walker as the beam of light bounces around a lot more than it would in a car.

Probably not the safest logic but i've not been hit yet :D

Soldato
Yeh it's probably fine and I have a few reflective bits on my jacket and cap. I was doing some strides the other day on a road I thought would be empty as it was 06:30 and only has an estate agent and a couple of small businesses at the end but forgot that it was bin collection day and a bin truck came up behind me pretty quickly. I don't really fancy going underneath one for the sake of spending a few quid on a light! Probably fine, there's just that small chance...

Soldato
In trying to up my miles I'm finding myself on very dark lanes with only a forward facing head torch. What are you guys using to light yourself up? I'm almost tempted to get a bike rear light for my head but it's not very elegant. What are you guys using?

I've gone from a 100 lumen cheapo head torch from Decathlon to a 450 lumen Petzl Actik Core. Should made a bit of a difference up front at least.

Our winter evening running is all on country lanes - no pavements or lights. Kit list is...

Alpkit Manta headtorch - 300 lumens (so your Petzl should be great)
Flashing red bike LED clipped to back of shorts
Salzman mesh / reflective vest - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Salzmann-50021-Vis-for-Sports-Unisex/dp/B01DQTXYUY
Will also sometimes add a reflective arm band with red LEDs - picked up from Aldi ages ago, also on eBay eg this

The vest is great for the money. All mesh, so no extra weight / bulk and will fit over jackets. Many drivers will almost stop dead once they light up the Scotchlite panels as they try to figure out what's in front of them.

We have a few different bike lights on the running gear shelf. Planet-X Phaart are super-cheap, so if they drown or take a fall it's the not the end of the world

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

The Smart R1 is probably brighter but around £12 a pop.

Soldato
Sadly you need a Vitality Life/Health insurance policy with them for the discount and you only get 1 per year.

Give me a minute to see if my wife gets one with her life insurance policy as i shouldn't need that and i'll drop you a trust :)

EDIT - Yep she gets one, will fire over her details.

Associate
Sadly you need a Vitality Life/Health insurance policy with them for the discount and you only get 1 per year.

Give me a minute to see if my wife gets one with her life insurance policy as i shouldn't need that and i'll drop you a trust :)

EDIT - Yep she gets one, will fire over her details.

You are are a star!

Back
Top Bottom