Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
HangTime said:
I'm wondering if this is the issue I get. Basically for the last 2-3 years my shins feel really stiff if I run, or even if I walk very briskly for more than 10mins or so.

I never/very rarely used to get this when I was younger, so I figured it was just down to me doing very little exercise and having gained a fair bit of weight.

My hope is that if I start doing a bit of jogging (with stretching beforehand) that I'll be able to make it go away. I do walk a fair distance each day (30mins each way between the station and work) but this obviously isn't enough to restore the flexibility.

This sounds similar to a problem many people used to get when we were doing forced marches in the army fitness tests (power walking with big loads on your back). It used to arise from people not relaxing their feet and ankles upon initial contact on the heel. They were basically pulling their toes up towards their knees too much and the muscle/tendon got tired very quickly.

The best advice I was was given was to try to imagine you are flicking a football forward, off your toes, each time you stride forward. It helps you to keep the foot relaxed as you hit the ground. I now make a concious effort to relax my ankle and let my foot almost 'slap' the floor as loose and as naturally as I can. Make sure not to over do it though. Start off slow with a brisk walk (it's much easier to practice the 'kick the football' method at walking pace also).

It feels strange at first (you look a bit daft running with flappy ankles) but it helps you get the technique of running in a relaxed posture.

I had a similar problem with the muscle underneath my right shoulder blade; no matter how well I warmed up, after 2 miles or-so I would get very painful cramps. I got a mate to run with me and he concluded it might be that, as the run got more intense, I tended to bunch my shoulders up which held the muscle tight, thus cramping it up.

Also to re-iterate what platy said; stretching is so very important. Get a good routine from someone who knows what they talking about. I had been running for years when I went out for a run with a guy called Miles Stewart (Aussie Olympic tri-athlete). I thought I had my warm-up/down pretty much perfect but he was horrified at what he saw and showed me loads of stuff that really help my now ageing body :)

That was much longer than intended, and might not help at all :p but there's my 2p worth anyway.

Caporegime
OP
Mad old tory said:
Would probably be running three times a week, as I'll hopefully be starting to do 3 weights sessions a week and would need a rest day. Think half marathon would be a good thing to aim for, did one about 5/6 years ago, but it took me 2hrs45mins and walked most of it :p
Edit: There's a half marathon in Windsor on the 30th Sept which would be a good thing to aim for I think.
I will throw something together this evening or tomorrow for you MoT, bit too busy to do it at the moment :)

Permabanned
I have started running half marathon distances now, and im feeling ok ish after them, problem is my times are rubbish, currently 1hr 54.

My plan is to run 3 times a week, but im not sure how often to to run the full distance, once,twice a week?

Reasonably pleased with my progress so far tbh, its taken me 4 month to achieve what i have, to think i couldnt even run 2 miles in jan.

Caporegime
OP
wohoo said:
I have started running half marathon distances now, and im feeling ok ish after them, problem is my times are rubbish, currently 1hr 54.

My plan is to run 3 times a week, but im not sure how often to to run the full distance, once,twice a week?

Reasonably pleased with my progress so far tbh, its taken me 4 month to achieve what i have, to think i couldnt even run 2 miles in jan.
Don't aim to run the distance once a week, aim to do upto 10 miles once a week maximum, then try and taper towards a race if possible.

Man of Honour
One of the instructors at my gym told me the other day that it's better to keep your heart rate not too high if you want to burn fat as when it really get's going it burns sugar first (I've probably got that all wrong) so that power walking stuff might be better for losing weight for some instead of running, anyone know the facts about that?:)

Soldato
Any advice about knee supports? My gf has just started jogging with me, at the moment she doesn't have the right shoes which probably can't help, but her knees hurt when running.

So any advice?

Caporegime
OP
What problem does your gf have specifically? I use a mueller patella support for my left knee, but it might not be appropriate for your gf's needs.

Soldato
platypus said:
What problem does your gf have specifically? I use a mueller patella support for my left knee, but it might not be appropriate for your gf's needs.

Sorry i'm not sure I know what you mean by 'specifically'? Basically after 10 mins or so of running for x mins walking x mins one or both of her knees start to ache. So the x mins running get's reduced instead of increased and the walking gets increased instead of reduced.

In her own words:

"it starts to feel like its grinding, really heavy and puffy. although not any problems i can see on the outside....

its like when walking normally you cannot feel joints moving but you know they are, i can feel my knee joints. and the more i jog the more i feel until it starts to hurt."

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
PaulStat said:
Sorry i'm not sure I know what you mean by 'specifically'? Basically after 10 mins or so of running for x mins walking x mins one or both of her knees start to ache. So the x mins running get's reduced instead of increased and the walking gets increased instead of reduced.

In her own words:

"it starts to feel like its grinding, really heavy and puffy. although not any problems i can see on the outside....

its like when walking normally you cannot feel joints moving but you know they are, i can feel my knee joints. and the more i jog the more i feel until it starts to hurt."
Sorry - what I meant was she should probably get it checked out by a physiotherapist, as I can't diagnose something like that :p

Especially as she gets the pain when walking. As you said it feels like its grinding, it sounds to me that she needs medial support shoes/trainers, but its not something I'd want to say for definite.

I had my knees looked at recently because I was getting sharp pains, and found out that it was something that was simple to take care of, just lengthy, so I have regular physio on my left knee which will come to a finish at the end of may, but its worth it.

Soldato
I need new running shoes and am going to take your advice about getting them 'fitted' and take a gait analysis. How much does this cost roughly? Excellent thread by the way.
icon14.gif

Soldato
Tinders said:
At a good running shop (if you are near worcester, theres one opposite the railway station!) they wont charge you for any analysis, the trainers can range from 50-80 squid!

I looked at the website in London and there are some shoes that cost £30 there, Worcester is expensive! I assume they dont charge for analysis in most running shops then?

Caporegime
OP
Chrisp7 said:
I looked at the website in London and there are some shoes that cost £30 there, Worcester is expensive! I assume they dont charge for analysis in most running shops then?
The price of shoes really is irrelevant. I'm currently enjoying £55 trainers, and I tried several pairs on that cost over £100, but because I went to a good shop they weren't trying to push those onto me.

If you get a shop that charges for analysis, move on. They're clearly more concerned about making a profit and will probably recommend the most expensive shoes, regardless of whether or not they are suitable for you.

Also, make sure you can try the shoes on outside, jog up and down a little, even sprint a bit to see how they feel.

Soldato
Well I got my new shoes :), apparently I was over prenating(sp?) anyway very happy with them.

One thing I have noticed though, if i'm just walking around in them it makes my right leg have pins and needles as I think the arch support is putting pressure on a nerve or something.

If i'm running in them however, I don't get any such problems.

Caporegime
OP
PaulStat said:
Well I got my new shoes :), apparently I was over prenating(sp?) anyway very happy with them.

One thing I have noticed though, if i'm just walking around in them it makes my right leg have pins and needles as I think the arch support is putting pressure on a nerve or something.

If i'm running in them however, I don't get any such problems.
Over-pronation is the most common complaint, and is easily addressed with fitted shoes, so good job there ;)

The pins and needles could be a result of just getting used to the new shoes - if it carries on much longer go back to the shop and see if they can take a look at it.

Caporegime
OP
lemonkettaz said:
When i go running i come back and my left calf seems to be tight.. is there anything i can do when i get back that will ease it?
Calf raises (30/day, increasing to 100/day) will strengthen your calves which should help. In addition to this, do you stretch your calves at all before and after your main run?

Bony Maloney said:
I have been running short distances 3 times a week for a year now :) This is a fantastic thread platypus, very informative.
Glad to hear ;)

Soldato
platypus said:
Calf raises (30/day, increasing to 100/day) will strengthen your calves which should help. In addition to this, do you stretch your calves at all before and after your main run?

Glad to hear ;)

Yeh i do, well.. i have now.

Ive started from scratch sort of, doing 3k runs every other day, twice, then 2 days off.. then again

Before Feb i was running in the wrong trainers for too long of distances...

So i rested for a good few weeks til i felt fine, went for a slow run during easter which felt good (with proper trainers) and now started the 3k every other day which is going great.

But there is just an ever slight twinge in my left calf, which goes down to the right side of my left ankle... nothing too in the way so to speak but its just there.

I do at least 20mins warm up before i go out... never heard of calf raise though.. ill look into it for todays run :p

I think after another week or 2 of 3k runs I'll have a couple of days off then try 5k...

I really dont want to push myself too fast and then have to rest for a week or so...

Back
Top Bottom