Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Actually had go get the waterproof winter stuff out for the run today, only 3k run but felt brutal in the legs after 10k yesterday.

Trying to ramp up the miles so going for 25k this week in total.

Soldato
I started doing Couch to 5K seven weeks ago now. Several years ago I was a bit of a gym rat and did powerlifting and HITT regularly - I used to have no problem running for half an hour. Over the last four years I struggled to make time for the gym and exercise, thanks to a 3 hour round commute on top of a 10-12 hour job, and about two years ago basically stopped doing anything more than walking the dog. This got exacerbated in the lockdown, where I basically spent all day sat around doing nothing. I couldn't even run for 3 mins at the start at the start of the program.

I just completed Week 7 successfully, and I'm running around 4.4km in the 25min running period (which is what, 11km/h?). I have no idea if that is good or bad, to be honest, but it does feel good knowing I'm closing in on the 5k target. I do have some issues though, that I'm hoping you lot may be able to assist with.

i) I hate it. I mean I really hate it, every second of it. My motivation for running was just that Couch to 5K existed and its a proven method of developing some fitness. I now do it only because I'm too competitive to not complete it. Why is it that people run, does anyone actually 'enjoy' it, or are peoples motivations just the associated health benefits (which are equally applicable to any form of excercise)? I feel like if I struggle to find a reason to continue after completing the app then I'll just go straight back to where I was. I used to ski, kayak, and mountain bike and I've never found myself not enjoying those, per se, so it's unusual territory for me.

ii) I feel like my fitness is currently being dragged down by shin splits and knee pains. I never feel like my lungs are burning and I can complete entire runs without breathing through my mouth or sucking air at all. I attribute this mostly to the breathing tips given in week 3. I run mostly on compacted gravel or pavement with 8 year old shoes, which might not help, but I have to really push myself in the last 10mins of each run to get through the shin splits and knee pain. I believe that it is also hindering my pace. I've done a lot of reading (including this excellent thread!) on various stretches and solutions and I do implement them, but I've had these issues since the start. I regulate my pace/footfalls to 170-190 pm, based on research suggesting that to minimise knee pain/splints, I've changed my gait to avoid lifting the knee, I don't have much of a bounce - another Couch to 5K tip, and whilst they have all helped its only been marginal. I've taken significantly longer rest periods to try and allow recovery, but even taking a week off made no difference and the pain level is still the same during each run. The pain goes away almost immediately after stopping running.

iii) Does the time of the day one runs at make any difference? I'm currently still working from home, and as such can go for a run whenever. I've gone pre-breakfast, post-breakfast, post-lunch, and in the evenings and can't empirically say any makes a difference. I perhaps feel like I get less stitches when running first thing in the morning straight after waking up, but I can't empirically state that. I just want to make sure I'm not doing any harm by running at the wrong times.

Apologies if this comes across very negatively, that's not my aim. I truly do think Couch to 5K and other such beginner programs are an excellent idea and I believe Couch to 5K is a fantastically well done thing. I'm most certainly not disputing all the health benefits of running either, and I am seeing positive progress there too. Thank you for any help or insight you may be able to offer.

Soldato
I still don't like running but it's part of my current weight loss plan so suppose that's helping. Also like going hiking which I do enjoy and this has helped a lot in my endurance for that. Training for something always helps.

As for shin splints, I hit my first ever 5k at the end of April and it was probably at least another 2 months on top of that of pretty severe shin splints before becoming manageable. I'm very heavy as far as runners go so that's part of the problem and good trainers definitely can't hurt, with a little shoppiny savvy can find a decent pair around £50.

I just run in the morning before any food, no fasted cardio science behind that, just prefer to do it with an empty stomach.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate it. I mean I really hate it, every second of it.

I would say this is me most of the time too. It just feels and uncomfortable thing to do... and my knee can start aching and sometimes some pains in my feet too. For me, it's a necessary evil I guess. I want to stay in shape. Maybe it's raining or very cold, so I wont cycle, so I'll go for a run as I really want to burn some calories. You mention cycling, is there a reason you run and not ride?

I run mostly on compacted gravel or pavement with 8 year old shoes, which might not help

I used to have a LOT of shin, knee and calf pain. Then I got some proper running shoes. It makes a huge difference. I went to see someone in a proper running shop who analysed my gait etc and got some very comfy running shoes. It makes a huge difference.

Soldato
As for shin splints, I hit my first ever 5k at the end of April and it was probably at least another 2 months on top of that of pretty severe shin splints before becoming manageable. I'm very heavy as far as runners go so that's part of the problem and good trainers definitely can't hurt, with a little shoppiny savvy can find a decent pair around £50.

Interesting, I did wonder if it was something that would eventually just go away as the muscles developed.

I just run in the morning before any food, no fasted cardio science behind that, just prefer to do it with an empty stomach.

I feel the same way most of the time, but occasionally I feel like my legs are depleting their energy store towards the end of morning runs. Other than that I do find it feels better, so will likely stick to it.

I would say this is me most of the time too. It just feels and uncomfortable thing to do... and my knee can start aching and sometimes some pains in my feet too. For me, it's a necessary evil I guess. I want to stay in shape. Maybe it's raining or very cold, so I wont cycle, so I'll go for a run as I really want to burn some calories. You mention cycling, is there a reason you run and not ride?

I chose to run because I was just so hideously out of shape and out of any sort of training rhythm. I couldn't find any decent cycling programs that were proven to be effective as building up fitness - at least none as proven as Couch to 5K. Once I complete Couch to 5K I intend to still do a couple of 5k runs a week, but to start cycling more and more. Most of my cycling was downhill mountain biking too, so not hugely impactful on fitness.

I used to have a LOT of shin, knee and calf pain. Then I got some proper running shoes. It makes a huge difference. I went to see someone in a proper running shop who analysed my gait etc and got some very comfy running shoes. It makes a huge difference.

I dont doubt that proper running shoes will make a big difference, but it's not something I have budget for currently - especially if I'm uncertain as to how long I'll keep running for! I have had my gait analysed about 8 years ago now, and was recommended shoes based on that - which are my current ones. They were all of £30 from Decathlon (Nike Air Skyraider 2 or something like that), they are comfy and supportive though. Of course my gait may well have changed so it would be something to check out again.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Your running to quick, usual advice get a heartrate chest strap, do a quick google search to calculate your zones and stick to zone 2 and z1 for the majority of your running/walking.

As for enjoying it try different routes, drive to a park or a nice trail.

Soldato
Sorry, to clarify, running too fast will cause the splints/knee pain? Would you be able to explain that? Also, if the goal is 5k in 30 mins and I'm doing 4.4k in 25mins, surely my pace is pretty much exactly what it should be? Apologies if stupid questions, I have very little knowledge in this area.

I currently run in one of the four nature reserves within 15 mins from my home, and I try and change environment/direction/route fairly often. I'm very lucky with regards to the area around me!

Soldato
Your pace is on a faster side for a beginner although not hugely so and it's basically just more impact on your lower half, especially if muscles/tissue/bones aren't used to it. Hence why better trainers also help as they absorb more of that impact and give you a better energy return, i.e. bounce in your step.

Lastly weight also increases impact, one of my issues as I'm a chunky boi :D

Associate
To add to this, how you strike the ground has a large impact (pun intended).

If you are landing on your heel the full force is going through your bones. If you can land more mid/fore foot then some of the impact is absorbed through your tendons and muscles which are meant for that type of force and of course will get stronger over time, your bones will not. Good trainers are needed, but if your form isn't great it'll just mask the problem.

This is coming from the guy who started running at about 16st and had the same issue, and someone in this thread suggested the same to me. I spent a week or 2 at slower paces to practice and concentrate on my form and have never had shin splints since. I also weight less now than back then which helps of course!

Soldato
I have been focusing on trying to land mid-foot since I got bad knee pain in the first 5 minute run of the program. As you can guess I was heel-striking. I find I have to gimp my stride a lot to land fore-foot, having much higher number of footfalls. I found fore-foot leads to less knee pain but significantly more pain in shins.

The various pains have been notably decreased since switching to landing mid-foot, and they take longer to materialise.

Associate
I've signed up for the Isle Of Wight Marathon. In 5 weeks...

I ran 18 miles last Sunday in 2:30, I'm going to run for 2:45 this weekend then 3 hours the next weekend. I've done a marathon in 2018 and 2019, so thought it would be nice to keep the once a year thing going.

Also I'm organising a fun virtual event with the running club. Its a 1 hour time trial, then we are going to donate your distance to charity, so if you run 6.5mile you give £6.50. Mo Farah is going to be attempting to break the 1 hour world record on 4th September so its kind of goes with that.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Your pushing to hard, running is hard on the body. It takes a long time for the body to adjust to the stress and strain especially if you have been on the couch for a long time and carrying some extra KGs.

You would be better suited to focus on 6k instead of 5k speed will come more naturally.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
This conversation had me wondering what my foot fall is like so I dug out last years daily drivers:

SgXbadch.jpg

Thats about 900 miles worth of wear. Quite even wear, the blue coming through on one foot seems to be just even material thickness between the two compared to the "tread" depth (I prefer to wear thin natural feeling shoes for most runs ~10 miles).

Lost my running mojo again, August has been a write off as was the time up to the end of July running the Lakeland virtual event. Furlough + redundancy + having my son has been a big distraction and I've visibly gained weight through snacking & drinking a lot. Not happy with myself at all so starting Monday I'm going to get myself out for a short run as many days a week as I can and just fob everyone else off a bit. Always run my life around everyone else. Plus I have some important interviews coming up so getting my head in the game will help a lot, the reason I run in the first place!

Can't wait till 2021 and hopefully all the main events running. Having nothing aim for has a lot to answer for too. My aim is to run the Yorkshire three peaks before the days are too short and that can be 2020s main running achievement.

Soldato
What do you guys do to find the motivation? I haven't been running in almost 3 weeks, which usually I'd do atleast 2 runs a week.

I'm in a constant battle with myself to push myself out of the door. Running is always sat in the back of my mind, and I make plans to go running, but when the time comes I change my mind and then time and time again this drags on.

I am going to go running when I wake up though, if I can even sleep. Got an alarm on nice and early (6:30), this hopefully can get me up and out as mornings are much easier for running. Plus I need to get my sleeping patterns down before daughter starts school in about 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom