Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
Completed my first marathon yesterday :) 3:47:19 according to Strava. Wasn't quite what I'd hoped for, perhaps pushed the pace too much at the start with about 7:45 mile average for the first 15 miles (was targeting 8min/mi) which is when I hit the big hill with 200ft of climbing in a mile, the next 4 miles were then all up hill to for another 250ft of climbing which just drained my energy. Was holding about 9-9:30 pace till mile 24 when I was pretty much just done and ended up walk/running to the end.

I think without that hill I'd have been closer to my goal of about 3:30 but still pleased to have done it, to know I can do it and now I can keep the training up and look forward to booking a real event when races come back. Or sign up for some more virtual events (the NY Virtual Marathon is tempting).

Soldato
I'm still far away from a marathon, that is if I decide to do one in the first place :D

Realised it's last day of summer so decided to give my usual 5k route a full effort, rather disappointing 27 minutes exactly.

Disappointing because I did almost that all the way back in May when I just started running full 5k and was 10kg heavier.

Soldato
I don't know why I'm so slow at running. My best outdoor 5k is about 27:30. I'm confused because I'm pretty quick on a bike and you kind of assume fitness is transferable...

Cardiovascular fitness probably is but guessing the mechanical part isn't.

Whenever I would get on the bike at the gym, my thighs would feel it massively the next day. Yet with running, even when I started I can't say my thighs ever bothered me. Calves on the other hand were murder.

My shin splints only really started to calm down in August too, almost 3 months after I hit my first 5k. Guess because I never really ran outside of sports in my youth I don't have much base there unlike weightlifting which I've done on and off in my 20s.

Associate
Completed my first marathon yesterday :) 3:47:19 according to Strava. Wasn't quite what I'd hoped for, perhaps pushed the pace too much at the start with about 7:45 mile average for the first 15 miles (was targeting 8min/mi) which is when I hit the big hill with 200ft of climbing in a mile, the next 4 miles were then all up hill to for another 250ft of climbing which just drained my energy. Was holding about 9-9:30 pace till mile 24 when I was pretty much just done and ended up walk/running to the end.

I think without that hill I'd have been closer to my goal of about 3:30 but still pleased to have done it, to know I can do it and now I can keep the training up and look forward to booking a real event when races come back. Or sign up for some more virtual events (the NY Virtual Marathon is tempting).

I'm doing the Isle of Wight Marathon on 4th October, not too far from you. Its only £21 too, limited to 300 people and they've put a lot of Covid precautions in. It will be hilly. I'm not expecting to be under 4 hours, due to the hills and only giving myself 6 weeks to train.

Associate
I'm doing the Isle of Wight Marathon on 4th October, not too far from you. Its only £21 too, limited to 300 people and they've put a lot of Covid precautions in. It will be hilly. I'm not expecting to be under 4 hours, due to the hills and only giving myself 6 weeks to train.

Hmmmm interesting, I've a few friends on the island too which I've not caught up with for a while. Unless the route I found is wrong looked to be about a 1000ft which is a little less than what I did on Sunday.

Soldato
Looks like it's time of the year I need to start thinking about a trail pair of trainers to complement certain routes.

Last pair of Merrells fell apart after less than a month of use and also had a bad experience with their boots this summer so I think I'll give Adidas a go this time. Don't need anything overly aggressive like Salomons, not to mention the fact they will never fit my wide feet :D

Soldato
I've recently got back into running and I've noticed I'm developing sore shoulder blades while running. This is most likely due to working from home in not an ideal setup. Does anyone have any stretches to help me out a bit? Thanks

Associate
Looks like it's time of the year I need to start thinking about a trail pair of trainers to complement certain routes.

Last pair of Merrells fell apart after less than a month of use and also had a bad experience with their boots this summer so I think I'll give Adidas a go this time. Don't need anything overly aggressive like Salomons, not to mention the fact they will never fit my wide feet :D

I've just got some Nike Pegasus Trail 2's. I ran 20 miles in the on Sunday, really good if you want a mild trail show that'll also be ok on the road

Soldato
I've just got some Nike Pegasus Trail 2's. I ran 20 miles in the on Sunday, really good if you want a mild trail show that'll also be ok on the road

Those look nice but a little rich for me as I'm poor at the moment :D

I'll still have a pair of regular running trainers in rotation for road and better conditions so have my eye on some Adidas Terrex Agravic for around £60 at the moment.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Intereasting run this morning. As most of the folk who follow this thread can testify i am a big fan of heartrate training.

So after a 12 months sticking to 80/20 zones i only noticed today that my 10k was just under a hr. Not an impressive time by any means (i am pushing 50) but the thing that grabbed me i was constantly in my zone 2 hr zone and not pushing at all and just plodding along. Looking back at last years logs i would have been blowing a gasket for that sort of time.

Soldato
Does anyone have a Goretex running jacket? I recently got one for cycling and find it amazing at keeping the wind and rain off, but letting my skin breath, so it's not too sweaty. I'd like something similar for running, nice and thing and light, maybe this?

Soldato

A lot of people in my Trail running club wear OMM stuff, apparently their store in Keswick (i think) has a great sales section with some huge discounts.

I have the Montane Via pull over style jacket. I do find though that i overheat easily even in the good "breathable" stuff so don't wear it too much.

Felt like i barely ran last week. I'd gone out drinking the Friday before and the recovery from that took about a week. I'm definitely not young anymore! Did nothing over that weekend, then finally went out on the Tuesday and my HR was around 170 for what is usually a really easy 3.5 mile run. I was due to have a training session the Wednesday which i cancelled. Thursday wasn't much better either. Friday i had the day off and Saturday we walked the dogs.

Went out yesterday and finally felt decent again and did 7.5 miles averaging just under 9 min miles which i was happy with.

Soldato
My running is really random for last few weeks, anything from 3k to 10k runs but still maintained an average of 25km over last 2 weeks. Went to Lake District yesterday for a first real hike in about 5 weeks, not sure if I should just rest today as little battered today :D

Soldato
I’m still struggling with bad knees from a week or so ago. If I try running I get pain on the inside and outside if the joint. It’s not unbearable but when I pushed through it last time it left me limping for a few days. Hoping I can get back out this week.
You need to wrap and/or tape. Honestly your hit a point in your life where you wont be able to run unaided without running a large risk of injury. and thats ok! Pushing through is the worse thing to do but you will probably find that if you wrap you will be absolutely fine.

Back
Top Bottom