Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato

Hmm, one of the reviews says it's not waterproof? Also, it's weight is 277.5g against the Goretex 118g. I know it's technically not a lot, but I love how light and small when packed my cycling Goretex is.

Wth. I talked myself into it. The only size they have on the link I posted is XXL, which I spent ages looking for this morning, folk only had small stuff... Order placed!

Soldato
Intereasting run this morning. As most of the folk who follow this thread can testify i am a big fan of heartrate training.

So after a 12 months sticking to 80/20 zones i only noticed today that my 10k was just under a hr. Not an impressive time by any means (i am pushing 50) but the thing that grabbed me i was constantly in my zone 2 hr zone and not pushing at all and just plodding along. Looking back at last years logs i would have been blowing a gasket for that sort of time.

Good stuff.

I just had another spammy email from that coach Greg McMillen that suggested not using HR too much in the summer because the heat would push your HR up and you'd end up running too slow.

I've certainly noticed it the last week my HR is higher on easier runs that might push me from Z2 to Z3, but i've been focusing on "perceived effort" and the basis if i'm blowing out my arse then i'm doing too much, but if i feel good then i'm fine.

Soldato
Interesting. I had my session with the coach this morning.

Started off with the Cooper Test to determine my VO2 Max, which came in at 45, compared to my Garmin watch which shows it at 50. Now i didn't feel brilliant this morning and hadn't slept well and i probably could've gone faster if i'd wanted to (was told to just go hard rather than kill yourself), so i imagine i could've increased it slightly, by pushing more and then killing myself at the end. Plus my route had a few hills which never helps!

It's certainly a decent test to do every now and then to measure performance gains and it's short enough to not be too difficult (Basically time yourself for 12 minutes and see how far you can get, then plug the readings into one of the online calculators)

Rest of the session was long hill reps. She knows the area well and the "hill" was basically a short include over a longish period and then it spikes up heavily at the top which was a killer. Especially as when you turn around i found i was then still working to control pace heading down so i didn't complete the loop too soon and had adequate recovery to go again.

Re: Analysis

I think it depends what you're going for. A running shop will generally look from the knee down, so will fix that area with shoes (Usually stability based). Whereas you can go elsewhere and get a full analysis done which might spot the reason your feet land weird is due to your hips and so once you fix that then your feet fall naturally and don't need fixing by shoes. It would also look at overstriding etc.

My initial assessment with the running coach was £40 and gave me a detailed breakdown of their thoughts and analysis (happy to share over email if you want an idea). Whilst i don't think i'll continue with sessions after this block runs out. At £20 a session i've definitely noticed an improvement and the sessions are really quality sessions which i wouldn't put myself through on my own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if it is something I will continue to do for fitness for the foreseeable future then worth doing few times to get better, I am sure I could do with improvement in my form.

Not really in a financial position to do it at the moment but something to consider in the future.

Soldato
Well i never, i was chatting to my wife that it seems a shame to chuck out my old trainers. I usually rotate old running trainers into "general pottering about" trainers. But my New Balance ones look a little garish and so i wouldnt really wear them other than for running. They still look decent and given the soles etc all still feel solid and they've only done 250 miles. I can just feel some strain in my legs and that usually correlates to needing new trainers.

She mentioned selling them, i've just looked on ebay and they're going for between £40 and £60. I suppose they're around £140 new and still a current model so it makes sense that there would be a demand.

Will definitely consider this with future pairs too. Especially as i get 50% off through Vitality so could make trainers very cheap :D

Associate
I did that with some recently as well.

Bought from Asics outlet for £40. Trained for Marathon and ran it in them. Cycled around and about for a while and then sold on for £25 (and the listing did say they had been used for marathon) I do wonder about people sometimes!

Associate
I have finally started (For the 4th time) running again since the Manchester marathon.......in April 2019..... 3rd run of the week done.

Just keeping it to 5k's for now, trying to keep the motivation up, just completely lost my running mojo after Manchester!

Soldato
Imagine some used trainers will be worth something for the sneakerheads. Don't think Brooks are popular in that respect but mine look in great condition despite pushing above 200 miles now.

Seems I tweaked my knee a bit hiking last weekend, was coming down a little too fast on a rocky steep decline with a friend as we were losing light fast. Felt it in the knees and left one been feeling little funky all week. No pain as such, just this weird feeling almost like I need to "crack" it when I get the leg straight.

Last run tomorrow and I'll have my 22km total for this week and give it a few days rest then.

Soldato
She mentioned selling them, i've just looked on ebay and they're going for between £40 and £60.

Just yesterday I was thinking maybe I've lost some cushioning in my ASICS, they done 220 miles now. Tbf, they look in great condition, so I don't see why I wouldn't get £40 or so for them (paid £80 I think). Great idea :)

Soldato
Change of plans and did a 10k today so up to 27km total for this week which is another record I suppose. Really need to figure out what I want to do with this running thing as motivation was quite low and had to force myself on every run.

I'll be taking it easy next week as donating blood and that normally hits my fitness for a few days, give my legs some rest too. Have some Adidas trail running trainers arriving soon too, maybe should start adding more elevation on trail routes.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Picking some events to sign up for are a great way to keep motivated, a positive of lock-down is all the cheap virtual events you can do and they give you medal.

Or pick a longer goal and start training for a sprint triathlons, you will never get bored of running after making this step :)

Associate
Blergh, Went on Sat and did a different route, which I had two options on the return. Felt fine so took the longer one, forgetting the two bloody great hills (in my eyes) ended up walking from about 14km to the end. Really bad idea to do so much after about 4 or 5 weeks off! Back to more sensible stuff methinks!

Associate
Blergh, Went on Sat and did a different route, which I had two options on the return. Felt fine so took the longer one, forgetting the two bloody great hills (in my eyes) ended up walking from about 14km to the end. Really bad idea to do so much after about 4 or 5 weeks off! Back to more sensible stuff methinks!
Haha sounds familiar.

Soldato
Picking some events to sign up for are a great way to keep motivated, a positive of lock-down is all the cheap virtual events you can do and they give you medal.

Or pick a longer goal and start training for a sprint triathlons, you will never get bored of running after making this step :)

I enjoy hiking and seem to be at my happiest surrounded by nature and mud so hoping that switching to more challenging trails will help the motivation.

At the same time, it will allow me to throw more elevation into my runs to make them harder as I'm not sure I want to dedicate more time to running, i.e. run more than 25km a week. While I'm still heavy don't want to be putting more pressure on the joints either by going for speed.

Think once real events start again, I may pick something to train for which should also help. In fact since I go to Lake District a lot anyway do they have some gentle beginner events over that way?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not been trail running for a good few months due to turning my ankle and posterior shin splints. Decided it was time to get out and about again, strengthen the legs and ankle ( and an excuse to buy some new trainers ).

Bought some plywood and built a plyobox, the workmanships not the best :D but it's solid enough. Been decorating it during rest periods.

D9AGT3vl.jpg
WPlk1uil.jpg
Tn1R8y4l.jpg
Vn1Tc97l.jpg

Just under a 7 mile run today through forest tracks and some step hill climbs. Felt quite good, looking forward to getting out more.

Back
Top Bottom