Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Caporegime
I am over the moon this morning. For the first time ever I ran 5000m non-stop with a time of 36'26". This time last year I was 4 stone heavier and couldn't walk uphill without coughing and wheezing at the top. What an amazing thing our bodies are.

Soldato
Don't sell yourself short though :) it's you, not the programme that has had the determination and will to do it. Well done. Some many think about it, but just can't do it.

I've spent a silly amount of money on Gore Wear this morning, readying for my general switch from cycling to running as it gets cold and wet :(

Soldato
I'm all set -

glIZmD8h.jpg

So, gloves (more for cycling but will use when running) shakedry jacket, tights (not sure about these, but they are really comfy and do feel warm) and base layer. Wore the base and jacket to commute on the bike yesterday and still impressed by Gore Wear.

Associate
Is that the R7 shakedry jacket? If so I think it's the perfect running shell. Packs down very small, totally waterproof, and slim fit. I also use it hiking and despite what gore say about not using it with a backpack, I have done so loads of times and it's still perfect.

Associate
Passed the half way point on the Lands End to John O Groats virtual, currently passing through the lake district. Only 430 miles to go.

I was interested in that jacket till I saw the price, good thing it's waterproof to repel my tears! Any recommendations on a much cheaper running shell?

I am loving the cooled down weather, pace is up and heart rate is down. Now if we can just get the wind to stop that'd be ace.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Surely only you can answer that. Virtual challenges are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, pick a short one and see how it motivates you. Personally no medal in the world would make we want to go out running on a Saturday afternoon in dark January when its blowing a Hooley with driving rain :) If it was cold and sunny not a problem :)

Associate
Oh is this one of the sign-up, do your own running and get a medal at the end? Are they good? Do you find it gives you the motivation to go out running and are they worth it?

It's from https://endtoend.run/, I forget who linked it originally now. They had big IT issues when lejog3 launched, it got over 3000 participants most signing up the 2 days prior to the start and they hadn't got the setup in place to manage the volumes of people trying to constantly log their millage. They employed some programmers to fix it all and it works very smoothly now and shows their interested in investing cash back into the business.

Personally, yes it's giving me the motivation to get out more and keep going, they send you postcards at around 100 mile intervals and the live map with all participants is kinda fun, just a shame most of the route is motorways. I am doing this in conjunction with stravas marathon training plans, onto my 2nd consecutive 3 month sessions now. Combined, it's enough to keep the legs turning over for now

To echo SPG, we'll see how I get on as winter actually sets in...I historically really struggle as it gets dark, cold and wet. Though I'm currently on track to finish late November so should finish before that hits me.

Soldato
Surely only you can answer that. Virtual challenges are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, pick a short one and see how it motivates you. Personally no medal in the world would make we want to go out running on a Saturday afternoon in dark January when its blowing a Hooley with driving rain :) If it was cold and sunny not a problem :)

It's from https://endtoend.run/, I forget who linked it originally now. They had big IT issues when lejog3 launched, it got over 3000 participants most signing up the 2 days prior to the start and they hadn't got the setup in place to manage the volumes of people trying to constantly log their millage. They employed some programmers to fix it all and it works very smoothly now and shows their interested in investing cash back into the business.

Personally, yes it's giving me the motivation to get out more and keep going, they send you postcards at around 100 mile intervals and the live map with all participants is kinda fun, just a shame most of the route is motorways. I am doing this in conjunction with stravas marathon training plans, onto my 2nd consecutive 3 month sessions now. Combined, it's enough to keep the legs turning over for now

To echo SPG, we'll see how I get on as winter actually sets in...I historically really struggle as it gets dark, cold and wet. Though I'm currently on track to finish late November so should finish before that hits me.
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess @SPG , you're right, only I can decide if they are worth it. I guess it would give me the motivation to get out there and run more as the weather turns. They don't look actually that badly priced! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom