Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
What do you guys think of this slow jogging tutorial? It would make sense for me to do this to avoid heel landing and be able to jog more continuously. I'd be happy doing it but is it going to burn many calories, is there enough exertion and isn't it going to look a bit old man'ish and silly with such short steps, lol? Also, he recommends flat shoes to land mid foot but I just bought cushioned shoes.

Avoiding heel striking is nonsense, for some people that's the best style of running that suits them. If you're just beginning to run, just go out and enjoy it. If you continue, read into 80/20 or MAF training where you spend most of your time at a slow/easy pace.

Associate
Has anyone seen the saucony endorphin speed at a discounted price? I'd love to try a pair but the wife would kill me if I paid rrp

I tried a pair and felt they were the most overrated shoe I'd read about. Very narrow in the midfoot and almost unstable towards the heel. I bought from Saucony direct and they took 3 weeks. Virtually everywhere else was out of stock so I don't think they'll be any deals for them sadly.

Soldato
Avoiding heel striking is nonsense, for some people that's the best style of running that suits them. If you're just beginning to run, just go out and enjoy it. If you continue, read into 80/20 or MAF training where you spend most of your time at a slow/easy pace.

Apparently slow jogging should have a cadence of 45 steps per every 15 seconds or 180 a minute. I just tried it but I find it a bit uncomfortable only landing midfoot, my tendency is to want to put my heel down. I'll try it out on a proper jog though and see how it goes. I had a little read on 80/20 and it seems it's about 80% low intensity easy pace and 20% higher intensity. I dunno, I'll just follow what you said and enjoy it. But since getting minor injuries, I'm mindful of being careful. My legs have recovered but my feet, mostly around the ankles have some mild discomfort. I think slow jogging will be better for me to avoid injuries.

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well my new On Cloudflyers have turned up, Longest wait for a pair of trainers ever.....Not ran in them yet but they look the business if I cant get on with them :)

Soldato
Is anyone watching GMB that runners should wear masks whilst running?

I know this falls into a Covid conversation but I for one would not be able to wear a mask whilst running, I give a wide birth to pedestrians etc

Soldato
Is anyone watching GMB that runners should wear masks whilst running?

I know this falls into a Covid conversation but I for one would not be able to wear a mask whilst running, I give a wide birth to pedestrians etc

Yeah i'm not sure i could cope either, and not sure why single out runners unless you make everyone wear one out in public.

When i was in Spain last September, the rule was that whilst walking around outside you had to wear a mask, but you didn't have to whilst exercising.

Associate
I don't think I would manage with a mask on either. Given that my glasses mist up with a mask on when not running, I can only imagine that I would have to run without glasses and that could lead to getting squished :-/

Associate
I have to wear a mask when running through the foot tunnel under the Thames near me as it's a confined space. It's ok for the 2-3 minutes it takes to reach the other side but it gets quite hot and uncomfortable towards the end. I wouldn't like to wear one for much longer than 10 minutes. It sounds like Spain have the rules the right way round if this were to become an issue. It makes more sense for the pedestrians to wear masks rather than the people exercising.

Edit: didn't realise GMB was Good Morning Britain with Piers Morgan the incendiary ****

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i'm not sure i could cope either, and not sure why single out runners unless you make everyone wear one out in public.

When i was in Spain last September, the rule was that whilst walking around outside you had to wear a mask, but you didn't have to whilst exercising.
I don't think I would manage with a mask on either. Given that my glasses mist up with a mask on when not running, I can only imagine that I would have to run without glasses and that could lead to getting squished :-/
I have to wear a mask when running through the foot tunnel under the Thames near me as it's a confined space. It's ok for the 2-3 minutes it takes to reach the other side but it gets quite hot and uncomfortable towards the end. I wouldn't like to wear one for much longer than 10 minutes. It sounds like Spain have the rules the right way round if this were to become an issue. It makes more sense for the pedestrians to wear masks rather than the people exercising.

I think the basis was to wear a mask whilst running in the city, built up streets etc, I do find some people I run past stop, step out of the way (I always say thanks as I do the same) some people just don't seem to care about anything or us runners

Soldato
So - when I come up towards people I try and stay to the left (UK drive on the left) as long as I'm not forcing anyone into a dangerous situation with cars and so on, but some walker want to stick to the right handside of the path/road am I the only that sees this or?

Associate
No, it's not just you. I try to stay left as well but no one else seems to have got the memo. At least the canal towpaths round here have a stay left policy that people mostly do stick to.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
First run in the ON Clouds....

Time to order some new brooks, they are pretty hard under foot. Faster than the brooks but not as comfy.

Soldato
No, it's not just you. I try to stay left as well but no one else seems to have got the memo. At least the canal towpaths round here have a stay left policy that people mostly do stick to.
Good to know!

oh and I got my first London Marathon ballot this year! I try every year have done for the last 7 and never managed to bag one, so did charity in 2016 for St Joseph’s hospice Hackney (raised 2.5k) did the Brighton Marathon year before last raised (5.5k for the Brain Tumour charity as I had a tumour removed a few years back) so really excited to just run for myself, looking for anything that has a 3:** in front of it :)

Associate
Congratulations! I'm undecided whether to run for a charity yet. I ran for Pancreatic Cancer UK in 2019 and the support that they provided for training and on the day was great for a first timer. Not sure I'll make much use of it this time around. I may just run for a smaller charity this time as it seems a shame not to raise some money for charity. Probably the local NHS trust or food bank or something like that.

Always a bit worried it will be virtual again but it is looking good if the current covid "roadmap" goes to plan. It could be an epic day :D

Soldato
Congratulations! I'm undecided whether to run for a charity yet. I ran for Pancreatic Cancer UK in 2019 and the support that they provided for training and on the day was great for a first timer. Not sure I'll make much use of it this time around. I may just run for a smaller charity this time as it seems a shame not to raise some money for charity. Probably the local NHS trust or food bank or something like that.

Always a bit worried it will be virtual again but it is looking good if the current covid "roadmap" goes to plan. It could be an epic day :D
It’s the day after my birthday but I’m not planning on drinking any alcohol for a month leading up to it (only drink at the weekends anyway) trying my hardest to get a good time then I’m just doing half’s from there on :D

Soldato
Morning all

What sizing do you guys normally opt for when picking running shoes, I’ve read you need to go half a size up as your feet swell when you run long distances etc, in know the Incan change from brand to brand as they aren’t all the same

I’m a 9.5 and need some new running shoes, I’ve had NewBalance now have Asics .... I don’t want to break the bank but don’t want to get cheap poor quality either

Cheers

Soldato
I went for a long run yesterday and only realised what I'd drawn when it uploaded to Strava...
http://imgur.com/a/BStxG3c
BStxG3c

BStxG3c

Back
Top Bottom