Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Associate
I'm a bit annoyed with the Brooks Glycerin 18 I got recently. The rubber on the soles seems to be very soft and wear extremely quickly.

This is the wear after just 150 miles:
TsRU6Bih.jpg

This is about equivalent the wear I've seen after 500 miles in most my other running shoes. After some googling it seems the light blue rubber on the heel is a harder wearing rubber and the darker blue is a softer rubber. They seem to do this on all their shoes so I thought I'd warn other forefoot strikers to avoid Brooks. Heel strikers might be ok.

On top of that it's just a dull feeling shoe too. I've not really found a pace that suits it and it feels very hard and stiff for a shoe that is marketed as "your softest shoe ever". The upper is plush but my feet soon get too warm. So yeah, I would avoid.

I'm looking now at the Nike Invincible but hard to justify the £160 price tag for an easy day shoe.

Soldato
That is disappointing. I had the Glycerin 17's and they didn't wear like that. Here's a pic of mine after ~250 miles when i noticed the support was lacking, but that's a usual distance for me to notice that going.

I think it was you that suggested the Asics Novablast. I've been really happy with them as a comfy shoe. The only thing that is weird, is i find i massively over pronate in them if i walk as my natural fall must go Heels>Roll inwards as i step down. Whereas if i run they're perfectly flat. Downside is that i can't use them as a general pottering pair afterwards!

Went out last night and took a slight detour and ended up doing 5 miles, looking back through Strava i don't remember even a time i had a run which started with a 5! I still have weird tightness in my ankles on both side where they feel like they're swollen, but i think i'm going to try and push through and see how they are with some more regular running and then do loads of single leg exercises to strength them and ice regularly. I've tried resting and it's just not doing anything.

Soldato
Well since the above post, i've ran a few runs in the last few days and noticed my right foot/ankle seems to be collapsing a lot. My left foot seems absolutely fine and stable, however on the right, especially if i'm walking and landing more on the heel, it feels like there is only 70% of support on the heel with nothing on the very left side of the shoe if that makes sense.

As such as my heel lands there's nothing under the left side of my heel and therefore the heel rolls inwards. When i run and land further forward it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad. I'm wondering whether there could be some kind of defect given that the left shoe feels absolutely normal. I'm wondering if this is then causing some of the ankle issues i've been having.

I've ordered a pair of the Hoka Arahi in a wide version. I figured something heavily stable might be good, just to get me back running on a regular basis. I did keep looking at the Asics GT2000 which i've had before and know they work for me, and in hindsight it probably would've been a good option rather than trying something unknown :p I also looking at the Nike React Infinity 2 Stability Flyknit, but the reviews were all terrible.

Associate
Might have been better getting something that has worked before rather than something new if you're having issues but who doesn't love trying something new :D

Could be worth trying a wobble cushion? They are often recommended by physios to improve balance and strength on the ankle during recovery from injuries.

Soldato
Might have been better getting something that has worked before rather than something new if you're having issues but who doesn't love trying something new :D

Could be worth trying a wobble cushion? They are often recommended by physios to improve balance and strength on the ankle during recovery from injuries.

Got one of those cushions, find it's good for under my seat when at a desk too as helps fix my posture. Have also been doing a decent amount of single leg work the last 2 weeks which i'm hoping helps, just things like standing on one leg and swinging the other in various directions and then single leg deadlifts.

I've spoken to Runners Need as not sure if the Asics have a fault. It seems odd that the left and right shoe differs so much, and i'm sure it can't just be down to my gammy ankles. I've never had this issue on other neutral trainers.

Soldato
longest run in over a year yesterday. Did 6.7 miles, was intending for around 5 miles but it felt pretty easy going so carried on. My pace increased as my run went on which i wasn't expecting. my pace is still pretty slow compared to what i used to be able to get to but according to scales i've put on over 2 stone in a year and a bit i think. The garmin coach exercises seem to be helping as any hills on the run were no problem just seemed to have the power in my legs to not really have to push to get up them.
Was hoping to grab some new trainers but spent far to much last month so will have to wait til next.

Where do people find events at to run? I googled and so many different sites came up. think a 10k event is probs ideal for me with an aim of a half marathon next year or later this.

Soldato
I like SI Entries as it’s what a lot of the smaller organisers use :)

Also great work on the run.
Thanks, there's a tri-series event near me which looks good. Choice of 1m, 5k, 10k, half marathon or full marathon 3 days in a row if you wish or just one of them. Going to register on pay day for the one later this month, i'll sign up for the 3 5k events and then do the 3 10k in december.

This event looks pretty fun and tiring: https://www.triislandrunning.co.uk/abbey-ascent-challenge , i ran up the amphitheater in inter schools cross country as a kid and it was hard then.

Soldato
On Saturday I completed 13.1miles (it's really a long way isn't it?) running to finish my first ever half marathon in aid of the Foyle Hospice.
I ran from the Victorian seaside town, of Whitehead along the town's lovely seafront with the Coloured Houses, and with the sun shining I made the rather steep climb out of the town along the Shore Road towards Carrickfergus.
gj9uo5X.jpg
SVAtgcR.jpg

A quick selfie before the run started, complete with a bag full of Jelly Babies and some rock music to keep me going.
MvNy6HS.jpg

Once I'd ran 5km into the race, I had thankfully reached the highest point of the route and it was all relatively downhill...
Continuing past Kilroot Power Station that looms over the village of Eden and onto the flat of Carrickfergus town, with its Norman castle sitting proudly out to sea. As I reached Sainsbury's in the town, I knew I was close to my first stop to take on water and more Jelly Babies that my girlfriend had driven down with. A quick stop and bite more heads of the Jelly Beans, don't we all do that, and away again.

I continued out of Carrickfergus towards Belfast, admiring the lovely views across the lough but to the right of me were large black rain clouds looming overhead so the race was on to not get wet. I passed through Greenisland and onto the cycle/pedestrian path along the main A2 Shore Road, admiring the lovely houses and apartments that overlook the lough, and as I neared Jordanstown Loughside Park, I was ready for my second and final stop for the last gulp of water and the final 3-4km left.

The final stretch around the coastal path along Hazelburn Park and the final climb into the park was a slog but I was getting near the finish. Finally, I saw my girlfriend's car waiting for me, and two final small laps around the car park and I'd done it! 13.1 miles completed in 2 hours 26mins and 14 seconds!

2pAz4me.jpg

I had aimed for around 2hours 30mins. I was overcome with emotion, I started to tear up and cry, the relief of completing the distance, the training in snow, wind, and rain had paid off. But also that my dad would have been proud of me. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with cancer and was cared for in the NI Hospice in Belfast and died of the horrible disease 10 years ago, and while the Foyle Hospice didn't care for him, I'm appreciative of all the work that hospices do for patients with cancer in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately, there were no medals at the end of the race, but when calling into my Mum's the following day, she had got a chocolate penny and attached it to a ribbon, that will do!
9vrYsBc.jpg

wciCRNP.jpg
1PO1vou.jpg
https://www.strava.com/activities/5222397848

Last edited:
Associate
Well done, really consistent pace for a first half marathon. Looks like you had the perfect scenery to keep you company. Running for a great cause too. Next stop, full marathon ;)

Soldato
Well done!

Are you sure that HR is accurate!? It seems VERY high
Yeah, that's accurate. Granted its only a wrist watch but I've tested it with a chest band it's accurate enough.

Well done, really consistent pace for a first half marathon. Looks like you had the perfect scenery to keep you company. Running for a great cause too. Next stop, full marathon ;)
Thanks. Had I not stopped for the first water and Jelly Babies, I'd probably be another minute faster. I've got another half entered at the end of August, in Larne :cry: Therefore I'm aiming to improve in time and the nutrition.

Associate
Not to worry you but if you do think that heart rate is accurate then I would definitely get that checked out by a doctor before your next race. It is worryingly high. Spending over two hours at that heart rate is not going to do your heart any good.

Soldato
Agreed, i'd have thought that kind of HR would be a flat out, killing yourself level of exertion.

Got out in my Hokas for the first time last night. Really supportive and stable. They fit well too, definitely benefit from the "wide" version as i always found the Cliftons very narrow. Will see if that helps any of my recent injuries.

Also realised that due to rescheduled events i'm massively overbooked. My current diary looks like this

26th June - 21 mile local trail run - Rescheduled from 2020
26th June - Grizedale Trail Marathon -
3rd July - 45 mile "Rossendale Way in a Day" - A guided social run. Rescheduled from April

I've managed to give the first run away to a colleague since it's nice and local and have advertised the 45 miler on a local running club (@Dup you interested?)

What's mainly of concern is that Grizedale marathon. It's meant to be a pretty brutal marathon and i had thought it was the end of July not June which gives me around 7 weeks to get ready, should be interesting given i'm barely doing over 5 miles at the moment. I'm also at a stag do 2 weeks before which isn't going to help matters!

Soldato
Not to worry you but if you do think that heart rate is accurate then I would definitely get that checked out by a doctor before your next race. It is worryingly high. Spending over two hours at that heart rate is not going to do your heart any good.

Agreed, i'd have thought that kind of HR would be a flat out, killing yourself level of exertion.

How old are you @Blackvault and what level of perceived effort was that run? (ie 7 out of 10 etc)
Thanks for all the comments and concern about my HR. So I've been running for around 3 years and previously been pretty sedate, and I've been to the GP twice to talk about having a high heart rate during running and at times when walking and they just put it down to bring unfit. To answer Shadowness I'm 33 year old male who weights 65.5kg. I probably had more in the tank in terms of speed but I couldn't have held it for more than an hour.

Soldato
I guess you must just have a naturally high HR then, i wouldn't have classed you as unfit though if you can do a half marathon and have been running for 3 years. Out of interest, if you're just sat watching TV, what's your resting heart rate?

I guess if the doctor isn't concerned thoughit may be more normal than we think :)

Soldato
I guess you must just have a naturally high HR then, i wouldn't have classed you as unfit though if you can do a half marathon and have been running for 3 years. Out of interest, if you're just sat watching TV, what's your resting heart rate?

I guess if the doctor isn't concerned thoughit may be more normal than we think :)

I guess my resting heart rate can vary while watching TV. It can be anything from mid 50s to mid 60s. Typically my resting heart rate thats calculated is around mid 60s. Personally I think the GPs assessment was wrong. I went to see a cardiologist and they suggested a whole battery of tests to check out my heart but to go back to the GP given that he felt the GP had brushed me off. I went back to the GP and suggested these tests and their advice was to go privately and send close to a grand on it. This was probably 1.5-2 years ago and I've not seen that much of a difference in getting fitter and for the HR improving and just accepted I have to run slow and have a high HR.

Soldato
Anyone tried the puma velocity nitro trainers?
Seem to be well priced and look pretty good. Need something a bit softer on the heel than my brooks vapour 4.
Also tempted by the nike pegasus 4.
I think for looks the saucony endorphin shift look great

I was originally going to grab the hoka mach 4 but then got put off by the wear on the sole

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom