Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
firstborn said:
Sounds good, spend most off my running choking on traffic fumes.

Been down the canalside towards Beeston/Attenborough? It's great to get down there away from the traffic.

Decided to do a single mile tonight at a faster pace, managed 6 minutes 43 seconds. Started a little bit too quickly and had dropped my speed by the halfway point, but having never ran a timed single mile it was always going to be tricky establishing a rhythm.

Hopefully the session will enable me to bring my pace up slightly next time I do a longer distance run. It was fun and made a change, anyhow.

Soldato
Fusion said:
Been down the canalside towards Beeston/Attenborough? It's great to get down there away from the traffic.

Decided to do a single mile tonight at a faster pace, managed 6 minutes 43 seconds. Started a little bit too quickly and had dropped my speed by the halfway point, but having never ran a timed single mile it was always going to be tricky establishing a rhythm.

Hopefully the session will enable me to bring my pace up slightly next time I do a longer distance run. It was fun and made a change, anyhow.

Yehh, I use the canalside on longer runs. Good route on a nice day :)

With the quick single mile thing you could try adding that onto the end of a fairly slow few miles - I find that easier than a mile from cold. But it's good to mix it up.

Soldato
Still plugging away. 6 miles tonight in 55 minutes 34 secs, nice and steady. It's so much easier running as the suns setting and temps are lower. Had another mile or two in the tank, confident I can complete the half marathon in September.

Soldato
Hi,

Thanks for the good thread, a lot of good information.

Back when I was in school, I was quite fit and even though I didn't do Athletics in my spare time, I was a very good long distance runner just down to my metabolism and being very determined. Managed to run qualifying time for nationals at my age, but I came 5th so obviously didn't go as other before me were as quick (Although we pretty much finished hand in hand, was the quickest 1500m stint I had ever ran, the competition was just that high).

Since leaving school (5 years ago) and driving and being a Retail sales advisor on the road (not being able to sit down and eat a good meal, due to time and expense) I've became very unfit and I'm now unhappy with my complexity, although no way fat but still a shadow of my former self.

Will running enable me to build my body to a certain extent? I obviously know weight training will be better suited to that but I would like to start off by getting back into shape with running as I did enjoy it.

Caporegime
OP
It will help you build your body to a certain extent, depending how you do it Mekral. It will shed pounds like nothing else, enabling you to tone up, and if you do a certain amount of weights a week you'll do fine.

If you want to bulk however, running isn't for you.

Soldato
It will help you build your body to a certain extent, depending how you do it Mekral. It will shed pounds like nothing else, enabling you to tone up, and if you do a certain amount of weights a week you'll do fine.

If you want to bulk however, running isn't for you.

I don't want bulk, thankfully my brother is very fit and can give me support. Problem is last week monday night my Asthma kicked in after sleeping out of no where. It's been dormant for 4 years or so, but since then my chest has been tight so I think it's a chest infection although the Doc can't hear anything.

Can't just be the asthma though else my preventative would have done the trick and my breathing would be normal again.

Soldato
Can i get some advice on passing and how to set tempos please guys.

Today i went for a 3 mile run (20mins same as other time on the same course at a more sedate pace) with the plan for it to be a hard and fast run but by the 2/3 stage i was out of energy. Has anyone any useful tricks on how to set a good pass in your head and any other advice on how to up the pace in the middle of the runs to get the body really going.

Cheers for any ideas

Caporegime
OP
I think what you're after Carlazai is Fartlek. It's a Swedish word meaning speed play, and is used to increase aerobic capacity.

It's much more helpful to follow then just going out and trying to blast out 3 miles.

After a warm up, try something like:
  • Warm up - easy run for 5 to 10 minutes
  • Steady, hard speed for 2 km.
  • Rapid walking for about 5 minutes – recovery.
  • Easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50 – 60m, repeated until a little tired; Start of speed work.
  • Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).
  • Immediately, fast pace for 1 minute.
  • Repeat until time is up (eg repeat for an hour).

Bob Baldaro (running coach) said:
A fartlek session can be either the easiest or hardest thing you do all week. It’s a Swedish term meaning ‘speed play’, and it basically consists of fast, medium and slow running over a variety of distances.

Here’s how a typical fartlek session would work. After a steady warm-up, simply pick a landmark – for example a tree, lamp-post, or phone box – and run to it hard, then jog until you’ve recovered. Then pick another landmark, run hard to that, recover and so on.

There doesn’t need to be a set structure to the run. For your first quick burst you might choose a target that’s just 100m away and sprint to it flat out. Then for the next hard run you’ll see something 800m away and stride towards it at your 5K race pace.

It’s entirely up to you how hard or easy you make the session. Unlike track intervals, fartlek doesn’t require you to set a distance to run, or a time to recover. A watch isn’t necessary (although in the absence of landmarks you can use one to pick different times for your hard sections), as you listen to your body to determine your recoveries. After a hard spurt, jog until you’ve got your breath back, the lactic acid has drained from your legs, and your heart’s stopped thumping. Then go again.

If you want to add a bit of specificity, short, fast bursts will help you sharpen your pure speed, which is most important for races like 5Ks and 10Ks. Longer periods of speed help to raise your anaerobic threshold, which improves your speed endurance – ideal for 10-milers and half-marathons. In reality, though, both of these components contribute to good race performances at any distance from the mile to the marathon, so it’s best to mix and match the length of the bursts.

If you want to add an unexpected element to fartlek training, run with a friend and take it in turns to call the next fast leg.

Soldato
Cheers platypus, that looks awesome (until i try it hehe). Trying to bang out 3miles at fast pace was always going to kill me until im a lot more used to the runs. Will look a little stupid sprinting and stopping on the fields tonight :cool:

Nb just seen how i spelt pace, what happens when you write after a run

Caporegime
OP
Cheers platypus, that looks awesome (until i try it hehe). Trying to bang out 3miles at fast pace was always going to kill me until im a lot more used to the runs. Will look a little stupid sprinting and stopping on the fields tonight :cool:
Good luck with it. Keep us updated with your progress ;)

Soldato
Little progress update:

Just finished my first Fartlek session and how i know it.
1. Started off with a hard 1500m run which got me really going, was nice running a shorter distance hard.
2. I then did a rapid walk into a quiet part of the Uni campus. There i managed 7 sprints of about 50-60m, this was very hard but strangely enjoyable. inbetween the sprints i was doing a very slow jog to get my breath back and the last 3 i was walking to get my breath back.
3.I then finished off with a 15min light jog, this was a killer as my thighs were killing me after the sprints.

The structure was a little changed but this was due to my forgetting it hehe. Will know next time.

Getting back home i felt wonderful and tired :p i know tomorrow my thighs are going to kill but i found the experience enjoyable. Its great knowing that your body will get better over time with these sorts of things :D

I can recommend this to everyone who fancies a change in their running structure.

Soldato
Hi guys, I need some help from some of the experienced runners on here.
I want to take up running as I want to improve my fitness. I had a problem in my teens with my knee but I seem to have grown out of it (it was ITBFS from memory).

Now I want to get the right shoes to suit my gait to minimise the chance of the knee problem coming back and was hoping to get my gait analysed. The problem is that I can't find anywhere in Prague to have this done. I want to start ASAP while I have the mindset and determination so don't want to wait until I'm back in the UK at xmas. Are there any ways to get an approximation for the time being?

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, I'm afraid the answer is not really Col. I certainly don't want to give any advice out that could lead to you injuring yourself further.

I'd suggest just jogging for 10-15 minutes at a time, tops, and slowly to see how your knee feels.

Back
Top Bottom