Playing DVD's on a Radeon under nux

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

Radeon 8500 All-in-wonder using 2.4.19 and Gentoo...

Just a quick one... wondering if anyone has any experience with the card and playing dvd's and/or if you follow the same thought process..

Using Xine or mplayer [compiled with 'dvd' in the use variable of /etc/make.conf] I am able to rip a dvd to my hard drive but unable to play it back from the dvd drive or the hard drive.

Ive been starting xine from the command line for the extra debug info and it seems to be loading the DeCSS codec's fine [when hitting 'Nav'] and then pressing play it does actually play the dvd... or at least I can hear the sound... the xine [or mplayer] window is totally black.

Im not at the machine to paste in that debug info atm, but browsing around I see that the Gatos project has a mention of a driver that can enable dvd playback [AVview etc].

So, for all those Radeon user's out there... Gatos the way to go?

Ben

Ben

Associate
Hmmm, haven't got an Radeon, but I know someone who had a AIW card that had trouble playing stuff in Xine.

Check what driver it's using, click the spanner (i.e. the configuration) then the Video tab.
it should be Xv. My m8's had Xshm, and basically playback wasn't working well at all.

The solution was to recompile the kernel with DRI support, and add the necessary bits into XF86Config.

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Thx both, ill lookup the xine driver tanight... sadly the box is switched off to save on the precious leccie bill :p

The house has 6 pc's a router and a few switches on 24/7 as it is :p

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Tip: Sell your dad, buy 4 more machines with the money you made and get some housem8's to share the rent... worked for me :p

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Originally posted by Ben
Check what driver it's using, click the spanner (i.e. the configuration) then the Video tab.
it should be Xv. My m8's had Xshm.

Tis Xv :(

Opening menuconfig now....

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Originally posted by Ben
The solution was to recompile the kernel with DRI support, and add the necessary bits into XF86Config.

DRI built in as the the Radeon tickbox underneath it.... as for the 'necessary bits into XF86Config', what settings would they be... by any chance?!?

Ben

Ben

Associate
fIREfox, it's @ http://dri.sf.net

Not sure if it will help since it's for the Rage 128 (Pro).

Maybe ATI have some Vid Driver stuff on their website for yours.

Or maybe Shak's idea will work. Is it just DVDs or is it DivX, MPG, WMV etc?

Associate
Originally posted by Shak
fIREfox, Ill just go off the the FS forum and sell him: FS: 1 Father, House Trained, Good Discusser.

rossmc: unfortunately my machines are in a public area :p

Shak

Ah mine are stuck under my huge desk amongst other things,which reminds me I definitely should get some photos of them :). *finds digicam*.

Arc

Arc

Associate
I've had no end of problems with Xine on RH7.3 recently, just refuses to accept that I've installed other plugins, you know which ones I mean ;).

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
For future ref of anyone else:

Athelon 1gz, ATI Radeon 8500 All-in-wonder running:
o Kernel v2.4.19
o Gentoo Linux
o Xfree86 v4.0.2
o Alsa v0.99.72
o xine v0.9.13
o mplayer v0.90pre8-2.95.3

Sound is a clear as a bell, xine & mplayer give a totally blank screen - this is while playing from the hd [ripped] or from the dvdrom.

I believe this to be an issue with the card itself.... or more to the point, by portage-installed drivers for the card.

The Gatos Project has a little info, but few docs but as linked to by Ben above, DRI is a little more useful.

Gatos:

Ive tried installing the relevant drivers for my version of XF86 and im getting version conflict issues in /var/log/XFree86.log on some of the modules as their loaded.... strange... (?)

DRI: While I have modified the XFree86Config file as per the webby the command 'glxinfo' tells me that 'Direct Rendering' is not enabled... so ive come to the conclusion that I need to work on the DRI drivers....

Im informed by the DRI README text file that I should upgrade my version of XFree86 to at least v4.1 so im currently upgrading my XF86 to the latest stable version at time of writing.... v4.2.1 - I will then look into installing the DRI drivers and Gatos 'ati.2' driver... maybe even the app 'AVview' also from Gatos... ill let you know how I get on.

Soldato
I had the exact same problem with my Radeon (Sound, no picture etc) i ended up trying every DVD player i could get, ended up just giving up on it and built myself a Linux machine with a nvidia gfx card, its been the only time the Radeon has put itself down

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Annoyingly the Radeon is a 'replacement' for my gf2mx - As I wanted to play with video capture etc etc.

My new case arrived today so ill be playing with that new toy but ill be taking up the fight over the weekend.

Ill post any findings here... for the pure basis that when I google search I find many problems but no closure!!

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
Just to let you know... my mobo blew up over the weekend [ABIT KA7]... its happened before as did for my dad's mobo and cousins [all have the K*-7 range]. Dad replaced the capacitors that had blown [inc goo all over the mobo] and it worked for an hour or so... but then went again.

:(

Ill upgrade after xmas... when I can afford it... get a nice XP2400 or something :)

Associate
firefox

How many caps have blown? Mine did this not so long ago and i have been meaning to get new caps for it and get it running again :) so if u dont want the board and u still have ur dads i would gladly take them off ur hands :)

ta

Class

fIREfox

F

fIREfox

OP
My dads has long since been thrown in the bin. Mine is still in the case, I think 5 were replaced in total. I dont have any use or need for it... tho its just handy to keep it in there atm so I dont have to find a new and safe home for all my pci cards :p

Associate
so would u be willing to throw it my way when u get a new mobo? :D I'll pay p+p :)

ta
Class

ps if u whip it out now it will give u that extra incentive to get a new mobo cos u NEED somewhere to put those pci cards ;) Which of course means u have a new play toy quicker :D

pps i had the same kind of g/fx probs b4 mine blew up so at least u know the card isnt the problem and prolly works 100% :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom