• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Playing HDTV

Soldato
fornowagain said:
Yes your quite right, hangs head in shame, I'm sorry :o

he's still wrong though. ;)

For those that are interested, try these so you can see the difference, which as I said is a fair bit. To state the obvious. But I tell you what, if your looking at 19" you can't see the kind of difference it makes on a big telly. No comparison. Forget the aspect ratios, the DVD is anamorphic.

720p

Pal DVD

that 720p pic looks like VHS Quality :confused:

Soldato
i think we are discussing semantics to be honest - no disrespect meant to either party.

What people are meaning is that with larger screens it makes a MORE dramatic effect going from SD to HiDef.

In some respect its very similar to some who like a much faster switching panel (<16ms<<8ms<<best) - some cant tell how bad 25ms is yet others cant handle anything worse than 16ms , it depends on your own perception

Soldato
Enerize said:
:rolleyes:

Those pictures are messed up, the 1280x720 one is really blocky and the pal one looks better, both pictures are different sizes so you cant compare.

You might want to try looking at hd on a 19" monitor, it looks a lot better then sd.
Rolleyes yourself. I have a 17"TFT, 19"TFT, 22"CRT (dual desktop) and a 56"DLP, so I can actually see the difference. You can't compare them at the same size, you'll have to interpolate one or compress the other? Just like that silly LOTR page, waste of time. They are a different res, scale them on your monitor, that's the point ffs. The WS frame is a direct screen grab from a HD source, larger frames often have encoding artifacts, nothing to do with me. That's how they come direct from the source material. Just as they're seen on a little monitor. I'll see if I've any other examples on file, may have a better one.

Look closer. Watch enough and you'll soon spot poor encoding often loses detail even though there are more pixels and it's very hard to get the exact same frame, the next frame one can better. The original transfer has a part to play as well, again very dependent on the quality of the source. As I said superbit can look better than HD at low res, IMO off course.

720p
720p28uo.jpg

Pal DVD
dvd22ox.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Another, this is 1080p with high bitrate. If I look at them both at the same time on my dual displays at 19" (zoomed to fill the screen) the HD looks sharper, of course. But it doesn't reflect the increase in data, looking 20x better. It can't, the screen's to small and I'm to close, the 4:3 ratio gives a 15.2"x 8.5" slot, small. It doesn't even compare to the WS image on an HDTV with 10x the area, where the images scales as it should.

1080p

Pal DVD

Last edited:
Soldato
snow patrol said:
i watch HD movies / tv shows on my 20.1 widescreen and the quality is far better than regular res rips

Remember of course a 20" w/s monitor has a MUCH higher natural res (1680*1050) than any hidef tv (1366*768) - your panel in your TFT may be scaling well also unless you are forcing it to play at its natural hidef res.

Also I would suggest that as even a hidef res film or clip is a lot closer to the natural monitor res, compared to sd television broadcast - then its bound to look a lot better anyway.

Soldato
A [email protected]:1 is 34% larger than a 19"@1.78:1 which is a lot better. The native res on some larger HDTV's is more than 1366x768, mine is 1920x1080i at 50/60Hz. Though I tend to use 720p because windows fonts/icons are so small and it avoids the deinterlace. When they become widely available in a year or two, I may even upgrade to a 1080p HDTV, that'll be the other kidney. This is a nice little size comparison url (make of that what you will :D ) http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

Last edited:
Caporegime
fornowagain said:

Ive completley lost track of what your talking about now, im just trying to say that hd looks better than sd on my 19" crt monitor I can see much more detail espically on peoples faces, I dont understand what there is to argue about and why your posting pictures of badly encoded material.

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
Ive completley lost track of what your talking about now, im just trying to say that hd looks better than sd on my 19" crt monitor I can see much more detail espically on peoples faces, I dont understand what there is to argue about and why your posting pictures of badly encoded material.
Energize said:
Actually on a 19" monitor there is a big difference.
There's not, that's my point, its too small and I think your kidding yourself. To see "much more" in practicality needs a bigger display. HD on a small display doesn't reflect the bandwidth increase. It belongs on a display much larger where the impact is fully appreciable. I've put some frames up just so anyone looking at HD can see the size difference out of interest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom