1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 2 game for 4 year old?

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by Hawkpie, 15 May 2006.

1. Hawkpie

Hitman

I think the time is right to introduce my 4 year old lad to a bit of gaming on the PS2, but have no idea what is out there for his age range that is decent.

Most of my games have some element of shooting or death in some way, so aren't really suitable.

Can anyone reccommend a decent game that he would find interesting?

cheers
    pie

2. ic1male

Caporegime

Maybe that Katamari thing? We Love Katamari, I believe it's called.

3. Zip

Capodecina

Onbe of the crash bandicutes? They are an easy game to get used to and play.
    Or some driving game thats easy?
    Kids love tekken, had my 2 little couzin rapped in it for hours on end.(they were 4 and 6)
    How about Ape Escape? That doesnt seem bad if your too concerned about violence
    But there is nothing wrong with a bit of shooting, just dont go get him a really gory game. Dont forget how much kids like violence and destruction when they are young.
    Violent lil' creatures :p

4. turtle3

Wise Guy

Kids love all the shooting and death games, get him on vice city and watch his face light up...lol,, I started my boy on games like Zelda and Burnout but now hes hooked on BF2 single player, i hardly get a look in these days... If your worried about violence i think youll find it hard to find a game that doesnt involve killing or bashing something, apart from tetris or bubble bobble but they wont hold his attention for long..

BTW alot of people recommended me a game called grabbed by the ghoulies for my son,, havnt got it yet though so dont know what its like but its supposed to be good,, :)

5. bakes0310

Capodecina

I got my brother into gaming about 4 and now hes 9 and hes an amazing gamer he plays and got tonnes of consoles heres his gaming history if i can recall correctly:

Ratchet and clank
    conflict desert storm 2
    lord of the rings two towers
    mario sunshine
    supersmash brothers
    gta vice city and san andreas
    red faction
    mario kart ds
    sonic rush
    mario soccer

He currently owns more consoles than me:
    ps2
    gamecube
    pc
    ds
    psp- got it yesturday

As you can see hes a big gamer and one day will surpass me :)

6. da_mic_1530

Sgarrista

racing games are the easiest for them to control, got alot of young cousins and a 8 year old sister, they all love GTA, just turn the sound off so you cant hear the swearing

7. Hawkpie

Hitman

thanks guys

the missus isn't massively keen for gaming at all, so I have promised no swearing and minimal violence in the game, so a couple of recommendations are out :(

that grabbed by the ghoulies looks pretty good, but i can only find it for the Xbox. anyone know if it's available for the PS2?

8. Ripper

Capodecina

buy your kid a 2nd hand n64 with mario/banjo kazooie/diddy kong racing/etc. Those games had me hooked for hours when i was 12/13

9. Hawkpie

Hitman

hmmm, think i'm happy to just stick with the ps2. :cool:

anyone played the Spyro the Dragon range? Easy enough for a 4 year old?

10. Phil99

Capodecina

SSX on the PS2 (any of them, though Tricky or 3 are probably the best) are great for younger gamers as you can control it just using the analogue stick then move up to more advanced things etc, and it's 100% clean from a violence/swearing point of view.

11. VIRII

PermaBanned

GBTG is great for the following reasons:

Control is simple, use one stick to move and the other stick to bash the ghoulies in the required direction.
    It is easy for a child to understand what they need to do without having to be able to read.
    The humour is very "carry on" and well over the kids head but funny for the adults.
    Graphics are cartoon like and neither gory nor scary, just right imho.
    My daughter loves GBTG and has been playing it since she was almost 3.

EDIT: It seems it is only available on Xbox :(

Also try "Wallace and Gromit - curse of the wererabbit".
    No violence involved but lots of exploring, running around, jumping, logic puzzles and sucking up rabbits with your bunvac .....
    Definitely more difficult to control and play than GBTG though.

Last edited: 15 May 2006
  12. turtle3

Wise Guy

Ahh I was trying to remember who recommended GBTG :) all I could remember was someone saying your daughter playes rock star :cool: BTW I had a go at rock star and made me wish I still had a ps2 :(

Last edited: 15 May 2006
  13. punky_munky

Mobster

You could always try an Eyetoy (or wait for Wii ;) )

14. Nismo

Capodecina

Eye Toy all the way :)

The games are pretty simple from memory, plus it keeps them active.

15. cokecan

Sgarrista

id say either a spiro or crash bandicoot game could work, possibly even a sonic game??? old skool sonic mega colelction maybe :) or one of the newer ones??

16. NokkonWud

Caporegime

God of War and Grand Theft Auto.

Just cause the kids young doesn't mean you shouldn't ruin the gaming experience ;). Maybe not then :p.

Katamari for sure.

17. Combat squirrel

Capodecina

YA MAD ? DONT DO IT !! get him outside playing with a football and climbing tree's, will be great for his development, introduce him to games when hes somewhat older, theres a reason why there are so few kiddys games.........

A lad i know got into it at 4, he is now a fat lazy porker, injured himself weeks ago and is still not healed, i.e. no immune system from doing nothing, jus me 2p here

18. Hawkpie

Hitman

hahaha, very true! don't worry he is a very active little lad, and I'll certainly be rationing his time play on it. it's mainly for when we on a caravanning holiday and there's nowt to do coz it's tipping it down outside. (which is most of our holidays)

19. Hawkpie

Hitman

That eye-toy looks fantastic!! And for about £20 including the camera.

Anyone used one with the kids?

20. VIRII

PermaBanned

Rockstar ..... rocks :)
    As someone else has mentioned the eyetoy is good (you need some decent lighting for it to work best).
    We have EyeToy Fun 3 or something for it, lots of weird games that my daughter enjoys, things like stroking cats, volleyball and window washing.