Playstation 4 being announced February 20th?

Caporegime
Ive always wondered why console manus dont bundle a game at launch, it doesnt have to be discounted or anything, just one of the better titles to show off their new purchase/platform. Least its them that force that initial attachment and also more likely to get a better percentage back as they can accordingly change the cost to retailers too...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive about it, you only have to look at the XMB and Xbox dashboard side-by-side to see that the MS one is very clearly more orientated towards advertising content and getting the user to buy things. Almost every screen has some kind of ad, "new release", DLC promo or recommendation.

On the PS3, you have to go into the PlayStation Store before you see anything being advertised to you. The Singstar thing is just a screen for the app (an app that really shouldn't be there I might add).

I really don't get the 360 advert thing, especially in the UK. I see it banded about as if it's fact in every one of these arguments, normally though preceded with M$.

It all started with blades with MS highlighting new content whether it's a new demo, videos or inside xbox episode. As the OS evolved it made sense to fill the real estate with links to all things new. I for one want new gaming content highlighted to me.

I turn it on, I've got a link to the GoD sale, a football match I might want to watch (as I have sky set as my main TV provider) and a few other new games. There's one out of nine tiles set as a advert. It doesn't annoy me but I'd rather it wasn't there. But then again I pay god knows what for Sky and still have to put up with adverts. I tab across to games and it tells me about new game content, videos, new videos; I don't really see what the problem is, how am I better off with empty real-estate and having to dig about to find out what's new.

As the console loads the disc is highlighted, one click (or voice command) and I'm in. Next to this I have all my current games pinned. Easy. With my PS3 I have to click to games then find the game I want to play.

All it comes down to is MS have the store integrated with the main OS and Sony have it as a separate executable. Once in it's the same level of advertisements and I'm sure next generation Sony will have solved this technical problem and it will all be moot.

Soldato
I personally hate all the above. Not sure what you are on about with putting a disc in and you have to navigate to it on ps3. You can have it load the game as soon as it's inserted. Find the game you want to play? Any game on disc is at the top of the list the rest of your games are below. How is that worse than the xbox? Voice command lolz

Soldato
I personally hate all the above. Not sure what you are on about with putting a disc in and you have to navigate to it on ps3. You can have it load the game as soon as it's inserted. Find the game you want to play? Any game on disc is at the top of the list the rest of your games are below. How is that worse than the xbox? Voice command lolz

So what do you want then? Empty screens?

I had Ni No Kuni already in the PS3.

I turn the system on then have to navigate a few to the left, find it then click to play it.

If you've spent any time with Kinect, especially tied to sky go and Netflix you'll understand how it's the future.

During half term my girls wanted to watch a film with their auntie.
I asked them what they wanted and my eldest said Bridge to Teribithia

"Xbox, Bing Bridge to Teribithia"
It came up Netflix or Lovefilm.
"Netflix".
And it started playing.

Soldato
I'm a gamer, I care very little for voice command. I can't stand motion gaming as my hands work just fine thanks. Kinect is everything I hate about "future" gaming. I start my ps3 with ni no kuni in and it's there ready to play. I prefer a empty slick looking interface to one where ad's and things I couldn't actually give a monkeys about are thrown in my face, Pretty sure most on here feel the same tbh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not too bothered to be honest. Both are pretty easy to navigate. I use my consoles to play games and watch DVDs or Blurays. I only use the stores for demos etc and amazingly they are pretty easy to find when you want them. I'm not going to rage about somebody trying to sell me something I might not want. It's advertising ffs it's in everything we hear and see.

Soldato
I'm not going to rage about somebody trying to sell me something I might not want. It's advertising ffs it's in everything we hear and see.

On a PC, you get shareware full of adverts, Its there to pay for the product.

Why are we getting it on a paid service. Thats my main gripe.

We're playing on a console, where a possible space for something useful is taken up by something making a sale.

I know people are fine to put up with that, others arent but they have no choice. You cant say its beneficial though

Caporegime
So what do you want then? Empty screens?

I had Ni No Kuni already in the PS3.

I turn the system on then have to navigate a few to the left, find it then click to play it.
If a disc is in the console, ad you turn it on, you are immediately on the correct icon and you just press X to play. I have not seen any option that allows otherwise. Can you double check this, or is it possible you are mistaken/exaggerating?

If you've spent any time with Kinect, especially tied to sky go and Netflix you'll understand how it's the future.

During half term my girls wanted to watch a film with their auntie.
I asked them what they wanted and my eldest said Bridge to Teribithia

"Xbox, Bing Bridge to Teribithia"
It came up Netflix or Lovefilm.
"Netflix".
And it started playing.

That is not the future to most people. While it may be good for your kids or their aunt, this is not a common feeling shared by gamers, in my opinion.

Obviously you have spent money on Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky, a 360, Kinect and Gold. So you may feel the need to justify the purchase or make use of the features (which is fair enough), but I doubt most people operate their consoles in this way.

If I had to reason why, I would put it in the same category as people who use bluetooth headsets walking down the street, people who hold up iPads and take photos with it in public.

If you are sat on your own playing a game, or loading, or browsing the web on your 360, or whatever do you use the controller or do you use your voice to operate your 360? Do you use voice controlled google search on your phone or PC?

On a PC, you get shareware full of adverts, Its there to pay for the product.

Why are we getting it on a paid service. Thats my main gripe.

We're playing on a console, where a possible space for something useful is taken up by something making a sale.

I know people are fine to put up with that, others arent but they have no choice. You cant say its beneficial though
People feel the need to justify purchases, even more so with expensive technology. It's weird but very common. Whilst you do this companies will take the mick. Advertising on paid services, whilst common place (Sky, xbox etc), people accept it because they have no viable alternative. While people defend it, the situation will not improve.

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just turned the PS3 on, disc in the drive and it started on the Playstation Network - What's New icon. So it actually takes longer to start a game than 360. (especially after you've watched the ridiculous epilepsy warnings)

Caporegime
Just turned the PS3 on, disc in the drive and it started on the Playstation Network - What's New icon. So it actually takes longer to start a game than 360. (especially after you've watched the ridiculous epilepsy warnings)

It must be a setting then as I just turned mine on and It has the disc (BO2) highlighted).

At a guess, I reckon it is System Settings> Display Whats New. I don't know why anyone would have this on (well i can the people extolling the virtues of being shown adverts and DLC :)), but maybe it was default after an update and I disabled it?

rp2000

Caporegime
I dont know, theres obvious movement that gaming is becoming more mainstream/casual so it might be the hardcore gamers blind spot how these new consoles deal with this demographic.

Thats just going to mean some ingrained bias in how we want the new consoles to work on here, so I guess it depends on how much value MS/Sony place on this demographic.

Ive never considered MS narrow-minded so I expect them to be perhaps more forward thinking in capturing that demographic, I just hope (like lots of us here) that doesnt mean a diluted gaming experience to what we are already used to. Personally considering how poorly things like gamerscore and trophies are integrated to the experience, just indicates the probable poor implementation of social tools and other frivolities.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
It must be a setting then as I just turned mine on and It has the disc (BO2) highlighted).

At a guess, I reckon it is System Settings> Display Whats New. I don't know why anyone would have this on (well i can the people extolling the virtues of being shown adverts and DLC :)), but maybe it was default after an update and I disabled it?

rp2000

Must be default, I'd never choose it. Sony's settings are a mess

Soldato
I would feel like a massive retard talking to my Xbox. I don't really see it as the future any more than the likes of Siri/ Google Voice.

Lol. Saying "Xbox Pause" is probably the most revolutionary thing I'll take from this generation.

That is not the future to most people. While it may be good for your kids or their aunt, this is not a common feeling shared by gamers, in my opinion.

Obviously you have spent money on Netflix, Lovefilm, Sky, a 360, Kinect and Gold. So you may feel the need to justify the purchase or make use of the features (which is fair enough), but I doubt most people operate their consoles in this way.

If you are sat on your own playing a game, or loading, or browsing the web on your 360, or whatever do you use the controller or do you use your voice to operate your 360? Do you use voice controlled google search on your phone or PC?

rp2000

When I was younger and living with my parents I probably would have been too self conscious to talk to my tv/console but these days I'm quite happy to.

I use a little of the voice control in my car but don't with my phone because it doesn't really work/ using my fingers is quicker.

Anyway, back on topic.

Back
Top Bottom