Playstation 4 being announced February 20th?

Soldato
There are a couple of unnecessary menus but on the whole I love the XMB. I'm not looking forward to the shift toward a tiled GUI.

Always thought XMB was a bit marmite - which I personally like, but I can appreciate some not liking it.

Possibly a little too complicated / split(for instance the firmware I have currently has several "networking" settings pages, where imo this should all be under one - so the actual "Setting" main listing is shorter and more understandable).

In the main it works for me though

Soldato
Always thought XMB was a bit marmite - which I personally like, but I can appreciate some not liking it.

Possibly a little too complicated / split(for instance the firmware I have currently has several "networking" settings pages, where imo this should all be under one - so the actual "Setting" main listing is shorter and more understandable).

In the main it works for me though

The Xbox dash is no different in that respect unfortunately; to change your theme you have to go via the Social tab, select your avatar and then Change Theme, and yet to change anything to do with your actual account i.e. profile pic etc you have to go to Settings, then Account (or Profile, I can't remember which it is). Theme settings would make more sense in the Display settings section, and it's also stupid that you can't delete themes from that screen; for that you have to go to Storage, then find the thing you want to delete, then delete it. None of this is helped by the fact that the dash is so slow to respond sometimes, especially with the terrible Xbox media remote.

Hopefully both companies allow for a little more customisation next time round.

Caporegime
One thing they both need to do is have the in-game GUI running smooth. You have to fight with the XMB to do anything whilst a game is running and to a lesser degree the Xbox guide.

Soldato
One thing they both need to do is have the in-game GUI running smooth. You have to fight with the XMB to do anything whilst a game is running and to a lesser degree the Xbox guide.

Thinking about this - I suspect it will actually be a NECESSITY - simply from what Sony were saying at the press release

To be able to pause a game, cut/paste the last 10 seconds and upload it (which surely has to be hardware gui based) requires several things to go on for it to work. With Sony making the "collaboration" (in all the ways they mentioned) the in game GUI has to be as smooth as silk otherwise it just wont get used (and hardware will be slated)

Thats the way I would see it anyway (even though this isnt what Im personally interested in - as they are pushing it so hard currently, this NEEDS to be very smooth and easily done)

Associate
I really hope this PS4 delivers. The only thing I prefer about the Xbox over the PS3 right now it the chat lobbies so where you are in different games but still able to have a conversation with people. Now I am sure this is going to be added to the PS4.

This along with the "Supercharged" computer parts will make this system great imo as programming for it will be far easier.

I do hope however, they scrap this exclusive DLC content to certain consoles first and level the playing field by giving it to both at the same time including PC's.

Last edited:
Associate
It has, been confirmed and was mentioned in the press event, was just a throw away comment though.

Jackpot!

I am definitely willing to try different types of games this time around. When I got my PS3 I was like 17 so it was COD, FIFA and other sporting type games. Now I am 22 will be either 23/24 depending on when it is released COD is now crap FIFA gets boring fast. Don't mind driving games but the customisation in GT use to be pretty bland.

I think it will be very interesting what games get released and the quality and depth they bring.

Soldato
Okay, Playstation 3 traded at Amazon, got £140 in gift certificates for it and another 80 for the games I traded. It's all sitting ready to click pre order :D

Ahhhh it's all so far away

Caporegime
I wonder if they'll actually include a HDMI cable in the box for the PS4 or stick you with those crappy composite leads again. :D

does it really matter?

everyone should have hdmi cables by now, also they can be ordered from amazon, ebay for as little as 99p, check hotukdeals, theirs always hdmi deals floating about.

also available in poundland if you do not have access to internet/credit cards, etc.

if they didn't include a controller or something like that which costs a lot of money, then yeah, their should be outrage, but a £1 cable i simply do not care.

i prefer to use decent cables from a specific make on amazon, i have had cheaper cables before and they actually didnt work too well when they were slightly bent, i think the connection was loose from them being cheaply made. i used to get "green screen" a lot, so i was getting a signal, but not a perfect one, so the talk of a hdmi working or not working is not 100% correct. as soon as i switched the cable for a better one, i had no issues what so ever. so yeah i had 3 different outcomes from using a hdmi cable. a perfect picture, no picture and a green picture.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=KabelDirekt&index=electronics-uk&search-type=ss

those are the cables i buy, usually they go on offer for around £2-£3 so hardly "expensive", but they are a lot better made than the £1 cables which means they will last longer and withstand bending, etc.

Back
Top Bottom