Playstation 4 being announced February 20th?

Caporegime
does it really matter?

Yes. Not everyone will be going through HUKD or Amazon for cheap HDMI cables. You are in the minority in that respect.

Most consumers will end up getting stiffed by getting one in the shop they buy their console from.

If they are so cheap now, it should not be an issue supplying one in the box. Wouldn't surprise me if it was actually cheaper than supplying RCA cables and/or Scart blocks depending on region, due to economies of scale and being able to ship the same item in all regions.
listen if your spending £300-£400 on a console, and you own a HD TV, you would have to be a complete idiot not to have hdmi cables in your home.
Most people are not like you, I would hazard a guess that most people with HDMI enabled LCD/Plasma do not keep spare cables. Not sure why they would be classed as idiots for not doing so?

rp2000

Caporegime
Yes. Not everyone will be going through HUKD or Amazon for cheap HDMI cables. You are in the minority in that respect.

Most consumers will end up getting stiffed by getting one in the shop they buy their console from.

If they are so cheap now, it should not be an issue supplying one in the box. Wouldn't surprise me if it was actually cheaper than supplying RCA cables and/or Scart blocks depending on region, due to economies of scale and being able to ship the same item in all regions.

I would hazard a guess that most people with HDMI enabled LCD/Plasma do not keep spare cables. Not sure why they would be classed as idiots for not doing so?

rp2000

those consumers should do their research then, it's like a lot of consumers who buy pc's and laptops from a certain high street store, rather than ordering online. sony cannot be blamed for their ignorance.

sony are selling the console at a loss, i'm surprised as well that they do not include hdmi cables instead of the ones they do normally supply, but lets be honest it is not really a big deal for those that have done their homework.

also i would actually bet on a hdmi cable being provided this time, because it is the new standard, either that or no audio/video cables at all. htc for example do not provide chargers now if i'm right with their phones, companies are trying to cut costs because of the world economy.

I know most people do not usually keep a spare, but they could easily use one of the ones they already have, until the one they have ordered from wherever arrives, was the point i was trying to make.

Last edited:
Caporegime
those consumers should do their research then, it's like a lot of consumers who buy pc's and laptops from a certain high street store, rather than ordering online. sony cannot be blamed for their ignorance.

sony are selling the console at a loss, i'm surprised as well that they do not include hdmi cables instead of the ones they do normally supply, but lets be honest it is not really a big deal for those that have done their homework.

also i would actually bet on a hdmi cable being provided this time, because it is the new standard, either that or no audio/video cables at all. htc for example do not provide chargers now if i'm right with their phones, companies are trying to cut costs because of the world economy.

I know most people do not usually keep a spare, but they could easily use one of the ones they already have, until the one they have ordered from wherever arrives, was the point i was trying to make.

Regardless, most people will not do their homework. And that is like 90% of people who buy stuff. You have to concede that people who do their homework are in the minority and often congregated in places like online forums and deals sites :)

I too think they will definitely include a HDMI cable this time, but mainly because I believe they are cheaper to buy/produce than 10 year old phono/rca etc cables.

rp2000

Caporegime
Regardless, most people will not do their homework. And that is like 90% of people who buy stuff. You have to concede that people who do their homework are in the minority and often congregated in places like online forums and deals sites :)

I too think they will definitely include a HDMI cable this time, but mainly because I believe they are cheaper to buy/produce than 10 year old phono/rca etc cables.

rp2000

i would be surprised if phono/rca and scarts are still being manufactured in this day and age tbh.

all tv's you buy these days 32" and bigger are HD, most do not even come with scart inputs anymore.

Soldato
i would be surprised if phono/rca and scarts are still being manufactured in this day and age tbh.

Don't be silly, of course they are. You do realise the PS2, a non-HD console, only just stopped being manufactured? Many DVD players are still non-HDMI too, Freeview boxes use SCART etc etc.

And most new TVs do have SCART sockets, I think you'll find.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Same with my parents new Panny LED, its got some adaptor that you plug the scart into and that into the back of the TV.

I had to go and set it up for them.

Soldato
you need to remember little jimmy living at home with his mum and dad might be lucky enough to get a new PS4 (or in the past PS3) for his birthday or xmas, this may be a once a year treat and his parents may not of been able to also lay out a few more hundred for a HDTV

there will be a lot of kids playing on their PS3 through composite on a small SD TV in their bedroom where a HDMI lead would be of no use.

i would say every TV will have either a composite or scart connection and only those who have purchased in the last 5-8 years will have a HDMI connection

Soldato
my samsung plasma 51" D8000 does not have a scart input,

think it has 2 usb, 3/4 hdmi and a couple of other ones but no scart.

It will have a RGB scart adapter that plugs into the side and allows you to plug in a scart lead though.

like this.

scart_zps9bc1e969.jpg

pretty much how all current tv's are coming now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom