PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
PS4 pro sounds awesome. Couldn't care less about missing UHD drive. Very rarely purchase physical media. It's just clutter!

Def going to pre-order and def getting PSVR. Good times.

My only concern is if it puts so many people off it might limit future game development. Bit like the Wii U which is heading for retirement pretty soon.

For sure PCs are superior but I love the plug and play approach of consoles. You PC folks can keep your config tweaking and 3DMark :) :p

Associate
I'm currently looking at either the Sammy 55" KS7000

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue55ks7000/sams-ue55ks7000

or the Sammy 49" KS8000

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue49ks8000/sams-ue49ks8000

They are both £1299 at richer sounds with a six year warranty (from richer sounds) and a 10 year screen burn warranty with Samsung themselves. The only differences in the KS8000 and KS7000 is the KS7000 is bigger but lacks the twin tuner and has a 2100pqi motion processing ability compared with the 2300pqi of the KS8000. There maybe some other things but they aren't mentioned in the spec sheet unless I've missed them. Edit: It has slightly better version of HDR dimming? Maybe just extra software tack though, loads of it on my sony and its better with a lot of it off. I'll have to check if its actually a better panel.

I'll go with the bigger screen as I don't watch much terrestrial tv let alone record it so won't need the twin tuner and I can't see there been much difference in (not that I fully understand) a 2100pqi screen versus a 2300pqi one.

Both are SUHD premium cert with quantum dot etc.

I will have to look around now to see if I can beat the price/warranty. That's a good free warranty though.

Last edited:
Associate
The KS7000 is a fantastic TV I would highly recommend it.

Yeah thanks, its looking like I've found my TV. Got the PS4 pro on order from shopto aswell.

Just feel sorry for my poor old sony bravia which has served me so well and will be out of a job now. Its more than six years old and has only been turned off about 8 times in in the last 2 years (don't ask, its to do with my dog lol) and still going strong.

Soldato
To read the 100+ GB discs it's a different laser. A normal blu-ray drive could read a uhd file off a standard 50GB disc but it lacks the focus for the larger capacity discs which is needed for UHD movies and audio tracks.

So yes it could read a UHD movie on blu-ray but only on the 50GB or under discs.

Soldato
To read the 100+ GB discs it's a different laser. A normal blu-ray drive could read a uhd file off a standard 50GB disc but it lacks the focus for the larger capacity discs which is needed for UHD movies and audio tracks.

So yes it could read a UHD movie on blu-ray but only on the 50GB or under discs.

the above link appears to categorically be opposed to what you are trying to say.

They seem to think a firmware update is all that's required.....

Soldato
I really doubt that. I mean for a start how can they patch HDR to the original PS4 when it doesn't have the correct HDMI version? I don't understand how that is going to work.

I will admit I'm disappointed that it has no UHD drive as I was planning on selling my xbox one S and using the pro as my 4k movie player.

I have pre ordered one though anyway as I have a 4k HDR tv so it makes sense for me to get the pro.

I do find it silly though in a way that they market this as a 4K machine but don't have a 4K UHD player. Then they come out and say they want it to be a gaming maching but spend a good part of the conference talking about YouTube and Netflix 4K steaming lol.

Associate
I really doubt that. I mean for a start how can they patch HDR to the original PS4 when it doesn't have the correct HDMI version? I don't understand how that is going to work.

The hdmi port is apparently the type that can be programmed to 2.0.

from here: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-hdr-update-hdmi-2-controller/

Rigby guessed last year that the PlayStation 4's HDMI controller is HDMI 2.0 compatible—meaning, it had been developed with higher bandwidth than the HDMI 1.4 spec required, and it just needed an official update via firmware to unlock and unleash that potential.
Now, House has confirmed that it's coming, because anything rated for HDR specifications is technically also ready for 4K resolution.

Reading up about HDR updates to older tech tv, certain LG models cannot be updated due to having a non-programmable hdmi port.

Associate
The hdmi port is apparently the type that can be programmed to 2.0.

from here: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/ps4-hdr-update-hdmi-2-controller/

Reading up about HDR updates to older tech tv, certain LG models cannot be updated due to having a non-programmable hdmi port.

Yeah and the Samsung and sony's use the same HDMI Sil9777 chip that makes it possible. Probably the same chip in the ps4.

Actually as I understand it Nvidia uses these chips in their cards now. Samsung co-develops (with some other company called Silicon Image and only sells to sony and Nvidia. Think they were on about providing amazon too.

Edit: Reading up now about another standard called SMHL (maybe Super MHL) that allows 8K 60Hz. Things are moving fast.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just think of how much extra work it will be now for Game Developers to cater for both the old PS4 and the PS4 Pro.

I wont be upgrading as i dont have a 4K telly anyway.

Back
Top Bottom