PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
In the world we live in physical media isn't going away. Even with digital delivery people still like to physical own what they buy without the risk of it being taken away.

Soldato
Is the pro meant to be the Scorpio equivalent then?

If it's anything, it's the other way around.

Does anyone think Microsoft are suddenly going to start selling well in Europe because they have a UHD capable blu-ray drive? It seems a bit late to me, and while the next few months will be telling, the One S hasn't exactly changed much in the last couple of months outside of the US - PS4 was still outselling the Xbox one 3:1 in Europe in August

Soldato
Cant wait for the day that consoles get rid of the disk drive, it would free up a metric ton of space, who cares about dem luddites with no internet, they dont give Sony what they want anymore (using their services).

Me too. And one day when we get reliable internet speeds and services that can stream 4k and above at decent quality, i'll be first inline ;) Until then, i'd like a decent optical solution along side an OK streaming one. This is the thing - the kind of people that tend to spend serious money on 4k/hdr panels and pjs want good quality movies to go with them. Netflix and tvs shows etc it doesn't matter so much.

Associate
I was hoping to prove you wrong, but did some quick Googling and wow, the DVD market is massive. :o

Still don't get it. We once had a huge DVD collection (accumulated over many years between two of us) and hardly ever watched them. We rarely watch the same movie twice unless it's something special. Eventually got rid due to all the space they took up.

Same here.

My cd, dvd and blue ray collection have all gone, replaced by streaming and downloads.

Soldato
Scorpio will also be too weak for native 4k rendering.
Unless you know something no one else does outside of the MS Xbox team that's just pure guesswork.

I'd have thought it would be great news for all console gamers if the extra year means Scorpio is full 4K. MS may well have learnt thier lesson last time and if they want to win back console market share it makes sense that Scorpio will be noticeably more powerful than PS4 Pro, otherwise why bother. They certainly have the money and relationships with the hardware partners.

Enjoy PS4 Pro/XB1S now and in a year time hopefully we'll all have a choice which allows us to switch to "proper" 4K gaming if we want to. Who cares if it means you switch from one brand to another unless you have some emotional attachement to giving a Japanese or US company who neither know nor care about you money particularly?

With a bit of luck Sony will follow on a couple of years later with "PS5" at which point we'll presumably have other advantages and choice and can switch again if we want to.

Caporegime
What I would like to see is that the console is smart enough to know what TV you are using, so if you have the Scorpio or the PS4 Pro and using a 1080p TV, it is somehow smart enough to use the CPU cycle not used to process 4K to apply it to things like higher frame rate. So instead of say a fixed 30fps, it now has enough power to do it at fixed 60fps. So everyone can benefit from the console upgrade, not just those with a 4k TV.

Soldato
Either way hopefully this time around we get the consoles we should have got last time. XB1 and PS4 really didn't earn the "Next Gen" title they were portrayed with pre release.

Caporegime
The only difference I've found so far with this gen is that there hasn't been a single game that I've been hooked on and played for months and months. On 360/PS3 it was Battlefield Bad Company 2 and then Mass Effect 3 but so far on Xbone/PS4, nothing.

Soldato
It's how the developers choose to set it up though, Raymond. Some are going for more graphics, some for increased frame rate, some using super sampling for a sharper image.

..and some are not going to even bother since they already have an established user base in the standard PS4.

I am sure that fella in the conference said its up to 3rd party devs if they decide patch in Pro features, may be wrong, not watching it again.

Got one ordered anyway.

Back
Top Bottom