1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please conveince me not to join the T.A.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElRazur, 8 Mar 2006.

1. ElRazur

Capodecina

Im currently a final year Biomedical student in a university in London, I am in my early 20's and for like a year or so now, the idea of joining the Army (especially T.A) has been playing on my mind.

My current field of study offers plenty of potentials but i dont know why i am even doing it. Dont get me wrong, i like it but sometimes i just feel or should i say i dont like the idea of staying in a Lab and playing with samples etc. I honestly feel like i should get out more. Twice i have phone up and twice i have backed down!

Well, the question is should i join the Territorial Army or Not :confused:

2. Visage

PermaBanned

Reason 1: Its not CounterStrike, and you may well die, with a zero chance of respawning.

3. Matblack

Capodecina

This should go in the wise quotes thread tbh

MB

4. InsomniaCalls

Mobster

Nope - I'm not allowed because I might die so there's gotta be some logic there. :p

5. mrgubby

Soldato

Somebody I know has been in the T.A's for years & had a great time :)

He's having loads of time off work on holiday now , something to do with the bullet hole where his elbow was .

Seems he left that bit of his body in Afghanistan. :confused:

6. Sic

Capodecina

i hate when you do this. jump in with the first reply as a definitive and complete answer to the entire post that cannot be improved in any way. please stop doing that!

7. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

What do you think you will get out of Joining the T.A?

8. ElRazur

Capodecina

Adventure, some sort of trade applicable to life, ...seriously i dont know. I have just got this urge over a year now to join. :(

9. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Shot in the face in somebody elses country! ;)

HEADRAT

10. afraser2k

Sgarrista

You'd get to see the world, possibly.

Then again do you really want to see Iraq at the moment?

11. thebrasso

Soldato

Are you talking about the Terretorial Army or the University Officer Training Corps? I'd just bear in mind with the TA you will be sent out on real operations, and that it requires a lot of commitment.

Whereas the officer training corps is just Army club really, no operational role and doesn't require too much commitment. Thats what I did but I left after a year and a half of coping with knobbers pointing live weapons around and being unfit.

The risks are counter-balanced by the fact you won't be alone and certainly for the TA you will be trained well. But be under no illusions, its a hard school.

Edit: I just noticed you are in your final year, you wouldn't be able to join the officer training corps anyway if your university has a unit.

12. AJUK

Man of Honour

You'll get shot at by Arabs!

13. Slime101

PermaBanned

Ask yourself if you agree with all of this "intervention" the british forces play in other countries...

Were we right to go to afganistan and "free" them of their troubles and turn their country into mayhem?

Were we right to free Iraq from Sadam and turn their country into mayhem?

etc. etc. (you get the idea).

If you dont agree then dont join because once in the army/TA etc youll be sent into all sorts of conflicts which really dont concern us and itll be very hard to do the job you are sposed to do if you dont agree with the reasons behind them.

14. gib786

Banned

i take my hat off to you sir

15. Spud21

Mobster

You will be sent places and kept there so the regular army can come home for Christmas, you will be equiped even worse than our regular army. You may loose your job while out doing the job that our government pays the regular army to do because they keep you out there so long.

I have thought about the TA at times, and may look into it after Uni, but until they equip our army with something better than the SA80 as it breaks, i'd rather go into battle with an AK as they are pretty much indestructable, but we are buying large numbers of M4's off the US at the moment so mabye we are going to equip our army with those, i'd rather have them equipped with HK G36's though, as well they are amazing weapons.

16. iv-tecman

Sgarrista

Fighting wars for the US, swearing you do all B-lair tells his armed forces to do, and then hear him say "god will judge me" for my actions.

then getting shot in the legs, arms, chest or worse in the head? Sub standard body armour, bad tele coms, boots that don't fit. Sweating in another counrty you don't even know, becoming canon fodder.

Eating dirty food, from dirty plates. Smoking too much, drinking too much and all for what? A country that rips you off, and cannot give you a decent health service.

Still sound like fun - then sign up..!!! Otherwise, backaway from the door please.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2006
  17. G|mp

PermaBanned

I wouldnt from what ive read that you have posted on here

18. Matblack

Capodecina

[Wonders if they do an FTO Sherman tank with shiny alloy tracks]

MB

19. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

Well if you really want to join the armed forces i think that the Navy might be a better bet, unless Al-Qaeda start building battleships there is less of a chance that you'll die. Plus your more likely to end up in the Bahamas instead of Basra.

20. Brynn

Capo Crimine

Could you live without dating 5-6 at the same time while you are stationed?