Please conveince me not to join the T.A.

Soldato
OP
mrgubby said:
Are you saying the urge to go to foreign countries with a bunch of sweaty blokes and get shot at is greater than that urge ??

Backs away from the thread.....

Hey, slow down now. I aint implying that! :eek: What am trying to say is this - the urge to join the T.A for some unknown reason is greater than the urge of rolling with the ladies at the moment.....Come on man, you know what i mean.

Soldato
ElRazur said:
Hey, slow down now. I aint implying that! :eek: What am trying to say is this - the urge to join the T.A for some unknown reason is greater than the urge of rolling with the ladies at the moment.....Come on man, you know what i mean.
You fancy boys more than girls now?

And the thought of hot soapy showers with fit young men is just too enticing?

Last edited:
Soldato
ElRazur said:
Im currently a final year Biomedical student in a university in London, I am in my early 20's and for like a year or so now, the idea of joining the Army (especially T.A) has been playing on my mind.

Pros: Possibility of training, including fieldcraft, parachute, various adventure, foreign travel, weapons and basic unarmed combat. Various levels of fitness required, and various paths - including medical and Officer.

Cons: Depending on what unit you join possibility of mobilisation is high. You may have to buy some equipment yourself and there is the possibility that the regulars will treat you badly if you are mobilised (but this would depend on which unit you were with as I think some carry more prestige than others)

The question is - you describe an urge to join the TA but WHY? What would you be looking for? Also, how fit are you? How far and fast can you run?

I'd imagine your experience of the TA would vary massively depending on what unit you wish to join. You might also wish to comb through here www.arrse.com (Unofficial ARmy Rumour Service) and be aware that both the Marines and the Navy also have reserves...

Soldato
Well first off army isn't as exciting as it sounds. One guy from US army kept his blog updated while he was in Iraq, you can have a look here of what it's like:

http://avengerredsix.blogspot.com/

Secondly with your qualification you can try applying to regular army as a doctor or even a medical officer. Chances of getting shot there are remote as you'll never be on the frontline as such, just sitting somewhere in a camp waiting to put people back together.

Back
Top Bottom