Please conveince me not to join the T.A.

Soldato
Visage said:
Reason 1: Its not CounterStrike, and you may well die, with a zero chance of respawning.

unless your kinda buddist or whatever
then its a maybe.
but it takes ages before you can afford another gun.

Soldato
If you are asking to be put off then you might not be what they are looking for.

Also, while I roughly agree with some of the opinions you have expressed in the past and think that you can make a decent contribution to a thread, I think you are most likely WAAAY to cocky for an environment that will require high amounts of obedience and conformity...
Myself, I have the capacity but there is a time and a place to BE cocky or overtly confident - and knowing when its appropriate is a skill in itself...

Soldato
Just want to add this, numerous people that I know who have come out of the TA say the people in there are right tools, immature, wannabe arrogant hero nationalist types; nearly always shooting each other. Then I know someone who went from TA into the regular infrantry and he says the people are much better to be around. Obviously they are going to be biased against the TA because they left it and didn't like it but even though its best to bear in mind the type of people you may meet and can ruin the experience for you.

Soldato
William said:
Just want to add this, numerous people that I know who have come out of the TA say the people in there are right tools, immature, wannabe arrogant hero nationalist types; nearly always shooting each other.

TBH I think it would make the newspapers if the TA were constantly shooting each other. I'm going to be frank and call you a liar.

Then I know someone who went from TA into the regular infrantry and he says the people are much better to be around. Obviously they are going to be biased against the TA because they left it and didn't like it but even though its best to bear in mind the type of people you may meet and can ruin the experience for you.

A lot of TA are ex-regulars.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
TBH I think it would make the newspapers if the TA were constantly shooting each other. I'm going to be frank and call you a liar.

A lot of TA are ex-regulars.

Fair enough, bear in mind I am only relaying what I have heard. :)

Associate
Aod said:
things in this thread that are untrue now corrected:
  • the G36 is less reliable than the SA80A2 series of rifles. it is significantly more reliable
  • the M4 / M16 series of rifles that are in Active service are just as reliable as the SA80A2s
  • just because the AR-15 design is 40 years old, it doesn't mean its any less applicable to the modern
    warzone than a 20 year old design (SA80) or a 10 year design (G36)
I was in WTC Warminster when H&K were trialing the SA80 A2 with the school of infantry. I got to speak to the head Heckler and Koch designer, and even he admitted himself that the G36 isn't as reliable than the SA80.

I've used both extensively in tests. In the SA80A2 stress tests, the G36 starts to melt whereas the SA80 troggs on.

The M4/M16 has a horrendous reputation for reliability in Iraq.

You're forgetting, I've done 26 years in the Army, I've seen the SLR, I've seen the SA80A1, I've seen the AR-15 family, the G36 and the SA80A2. I know from first hand what I'm talking about.

Sorry to **** on your "my mate told me down the pub!!" beliefs, kid.

Associate
Would you PLEASE stop with all this talk...most of you dont have a clue what your talking about! It doesnt actually affect his decision to join the TA or not.

Also all those people who are saying hell get mobilised and die...joining any section of our armed forces isnt a walk in the park i think people forget that its a war fighting machine first and foremost before an excuse to do lots of adventure training. We have thousands of people out in iraq but only 101 have died (if you tot up all the Telics from 1 to the most recent we have had tens of thousands of service men and women out there) and we have an exceptionally low death count.

You are trained well and you learn how to deal with these situations. If your still put off by the thought of mobilisation then the armed forces really arent for you.

Soldato
Hugogo said:
Would you PLEASE stop with all this talk...most of you dont have a clue what your talking about! It doesnt actually affect his decision to join the TA or not.

I would take your actual experience based knowledge, rational facts and sesibility elsewhere, this is an internet forum and this is no such place for such things. ;)

Aod

Aod

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Im curious as to what AOD could tell us about underwater knife fighting....

Absolutely nothing mate.

to be fair, from an engineering perspective, the G36 is a somewhat more competent design.
Meh.

ZuG

ZuG

Associate
big_white_dog84 said:
I'm in the Royal Naval Reserve and it's fantastic. Great second income and you get paid to do some quality stuff.
BUT...there is a very high chance of mobilisation at the moment. When I joined it wasn't very likely but is becoming increasingly so. Just go along to an acquaint night at you local TA unit and see what it's like.

Which Unit? I am in Cambria

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
And you think TA shoot each other regularly?

Since 1/1/2002 the MOD have recorded 71 non-combat firearms related deaths in the Army. There are no figures readily available for non-lethal firearms related incidents, but I think you'll find it's as high or higher. Soldiers shoot each other. Given the number of guns, the general excess of stress hormones and the lack of sleep, it's only natural that accidents will happen.

As for the press - the last big hoohah was when there was the inquest into the 6 suicides at Deepcut.

And the increase in psychological profiling is rooting out a certain proportion of the tools/nutters, but do bear in mind that the armed forces have to have a certain mindset when they go into action.

Soldato
Hugogo said:

Also all those people who are saying hell get mobilised and die...joining any section of our armed forces isnt a walk in the park i think people forget that its a war fighting machine first and foremost before an excuse to do lots of adventure training. We have thousands of people out in iraq but only 101 have died (if you tot up all the Telics from 1 to the most recent we have had tens of thousands of service men and women out there) and we have an exceptionally low death count.

You are trained well and you learn how to deal with these situations. If your still put off by the thought of mobilisation then the armed forces really arent for you.

Agreed.

Man of Honour
Hugogo said:

Tell that to my mate in the RAF Regiment reserve (or whatever they are called). He has done 6 months training and WILL be going to Afghanistan. Not bad for an adventure holiday that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom