Please conveince me not to join the T.A.

Soldato
Half the people who talk about SA80's have never even fired one no doubt. I haven't fired an A2 but I know people who have and I know somebody who was out in Basra with the TA last month and he reckons they are good weapons.

All you have to bear in mind is that it is a hard school, the British Army. Too many go in there thinking its all adventure training and seeing the world. They train you hard, and sometimes it may seem brutal and you have to look at it objectively and remember they are training to to do the job, do it well and to keep you alive.

I'd say go down to your local TA unit and speak to somebody there. Get some real advice.

Associate
join up. I'm propably going to join the regulars but the TA is a great option. You are quite unlikely to be deployed to Iraq unless you are a translator or in Intel. You get paid okay for 4 weekends a year, its a great way to help you pay all those nasty bills.

Permabanned
thebrasso said:
Half the people who talk about SA80's have never even fired one no doubt. I haven't fired an A2 but I know people who have and I know somebody who was out in Basra with the TA last month and he reckons they are good weapons.

All you have to bear in mind is that it is a hard school, the British Army. Too many go in there thinking its all adventure training and seeing the world. They train you hard, and sometimes it may seem brutal and you have to look at it objectively and remember they are training to to do the job, do it well and to keep you alive.

I'd say go down to your local TA unit and speak to somebody there. Get some real advice.

Hasnt the A" got a big problem with reflux, and can easily be outdone by the W83 MegaCannon?

Permabanned
MoNkeE said:
Aiye, but the V3.2 Flux Capacitor in the W83 isn't that effective, so fuel cells quickly run out. The SR-70050 is now the weapon of choice.

Stooopid :rolleyes:

-RaZ

SR-70050? Dont make me laugh. Anyone with a half decent PlasmaCannon will easily metabolise the payload on one of those.

Noob.

Man of Honour
I think you should join El, it's right up your street. I mean look at it this way young man, there's no need to feel down, I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground, I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town there's no need to be unhappy. Young man, there's a place you can go, I said, young man, when you're short on your dough, you can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time.
And you can hang out with all the boys:)

Soldato
OP
JohnnyG said:
I think you should join El, it's right up your street. I mean look at it this way young man, there's no need to feel down, I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground, I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town there's no need to be unhappy. Young man, there's a place you can go, I said, young man, when you're short on your dough, you can stay there, and I'm sure you will find many ways to have a good time.
And you can hang out with all the boys:)

Did you just sing YMCA tune at me? :eek:

Associate
WJA96 said:
Yes - but you have to do the tower in Gosport to get there. Talk about brown trousers! That's one big leap of faith in the instructors!

We don't have to do the escape tank. We're unlikely to spend more than a week or two at sea on a sub (and even that is very much the exception rather than the rule). We do the dunker for the helicopter escape stuff though.

Soldato
Visage said:
Hasnt the A" got a big problem with reflux, and can easily be outdone by the W83 MegaCannon?

Why the need to take the ****? All I was pointing out was that if you speak to people who have actually used an SA80 and don't go on what The Sun says, most will say its a good weapon.

Soldato
big_white_dog84 said:
We don't have to do the escape tank. We're unlikely to spend more than a week or two at sea on a sub (and even that is very much the exception rather than the rule). We do the dunker for the helicopter escape stuff though.

:confused:

I thought the escape tank was pretty much mandatory for anyone who set foot on a submarine. I did my OC board with a guy who did the all-arms course and he did it because he got to go play with the sneakie-beakies. He said it was the scariest thing he ever did in his whole life. That was one of the few things he told me that I actually did believe ;)

So much has changed now - no more tenders for each unit etc. Shame. But I hope you guys get to play with toys we never even dreamt of :D

[Edit]I hope you get to play with better toys than the ones in Navy News anyway![/Edit]

Back
Top Bottom