Please could I have some advice? GPU temps

Associate
Hi all, newbie to the forum and to PC building. Just built a new PC in small MATX case and everything went OK and all temps except GPU are fine. At full load my Gigabyte 1080 ti OC (3 fan) is reaching temps of 85c and from what I read it’s no major concern but the fans get really loud. The GPU is large and the case is small, it doesn’t have much room to breathe. I use an AIO for the CPU and I have tried multiple fans at different locations around the case and changed them from intake/exhaust and it all makes no difference. I have put fresh thermal paste on the GPU too but nothing changed. In my old case the same GPU was getting in the low 70’s overclocked and now it’s running at stock. I’m wondering if putting a fan or 2 underneath the GPU to blow more air through would help with exhaust fans at the top? The issue with that is although there are screw holes for bottom fans, it would place the directly on the shroud and above PSU, which is bottom facing but I’m wondering where the bottom fans would get air from. I can’t place my AIO at the top of the case because of RAM/CPU header clearance. Any help would be appreciated and full specs below:

Case: CiT Seven case
MOBO: MSI B450M VDH Pro Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 AIO 120MM radiator
GPU: Gigabyte 1080 ti OC 11gb
PSU: Corsair CX750
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) 3200mhz.

Soldato
You should add as many front intake fans as you can.
And fans which are good at working with restrictions.
Arctic P12/P14 would be good at very good price.

Also looks like default front fan position smashes them to nearly touching front panel (which would restric airflow) and it would be better to put them inside metal frame.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the advice. I’ve actually got 2 P12 fans coming today from Amazon. I currently have my radiator at the front with the fan on the back of it taking air in. Would I be better putting the 2 new P12 fans on the front and put the radiator at the back as an exhaust? I can afford a bit more heat on the CPU because I currently have about 35c idle and around 60c under load. So if I have the 2 from P12 fans, then rear exhaust with radiator and 2 exhaust fans on the top? Thank you again for the reply.

Last edited:
Soldato
If problem is graphics card running hot, then any decrease in temperature of air it gets will help.
Now you're basically cooling it using pre-warmed air.

Associate
OP
Ok well I will try both P12 fans at the front, I’ll mount the radiator at the back with the rear exhaust fan over it. I have another F12 fan which I’ll mount at the top too and see how that goes. I’m just trying to find a way to keep the air moving but all this negative and positive pressure isn’t helping so hopefully these new fans will do the job. Once again, I really appreciate the advice.

Suspended
The age old argument of positive verses negative pressure. Personally, prefer positive but you could potentially balance it to your preference using fan speed curves.

Ultimately, the GPU as mentioned is cooling with pre warmed air. I would run the front intakes as high as you can take it (aurally), the top exhaust (where the bulk of the warm air will collect) also as high as you can take it (aurally).

Balance pressure and CPU temp with the AIO exhaust.

Soldato
You can take out any remaining PCI plates at the back as well.

And undervolt the 1080Ti with Afterburner. You can often maintain the max speed you're getting at stock and sometimes improve it by doing this, depending on the card's power delivery capabilities and cooling.

Associate
OP
Well the 2 front fans, 2 upper exhaust fans and the rear exhaust/radiator setup seems to have helped. Removed 2 PCI slots and now 1080ti is at 75c under full load. Can hardly hear the fans from the GPU so thank you all very much for your help. Now onto custom fan curves to stop it all revving up when I open Chrome or something haha!

Associate
I have a similar GPU and recently added another fan to my system. So at the front I'm running a 200mm and 120mm fan, on top is a 200mm exhaust fan, back is a 120mm exhaust fan and bottom is a upwards firing 120mm fan. I put the fan curve on Afterburner on a like for like basis so for example set the curve line from Zero to 100 so that every degree your 1080ti rises then so does your fan speed. I have never had an issue with this or noise especially as most of the time I game with headphones on and the GFX card has never hit more than around 63 degrees even in a hot summer.

Associate
OP
Ah so has the fan at the bottom of the case made a difference? My new case is so small but I do think that I could fit another fan at the bottom, there certainly is the holes for it. I’m just conscious of where it will be getting air from considering it will be right on top of the PSU. My old case was huge and the GPU never had heating issues, even when overclocking so I’m definitely putting it down to the new case.

Back
Top Bottom