Please help a noob figure out what size PSU to order

Associate
Im not sure how to go about figuring out which PSU I need size-wise.

I have a 650 watt psu and want to be safe, so Id like to buy a 750watt psu, prior to ordering a 3080. I dont want to order something that wont fit my case.

How do I use windows or my eyeballs to figure out what size PSU I have.
Also, are there a few generic sizes, with size names, or is it not that simple.
I have no idea what to look for with regards to ordering the right sized psu.

(I also think my 650 watt psu will run my pc and a 3080, but Id like more overhead room and to use a 750watt psu).

Thanks for your help guys.

Man of Honour
Im not sure how to go about figuring out which PSU I need size-wise.

I have a 650 watt psu and want to be safe, so Id like to buy a 750watt psu, prior to ordering a 3080. I dont want to order something that wont fit my case.

How do I use windows or my eyeballs to figure out what size PSU I have.
Also, are there a few generic sizes, with size names, or is it not that simple.
I have no idea what to look for with regards to ordering the right sized psu.

(I also think my 650 watt psu will run my pc and a 3080, but Id like more overhead room and to use a 750watt psu).

Thanks for your help guys.

What case is it?

Associate
OP
Of the two, is either a notably better brand?
Can I just go ahead and order one of those? (I didnt see case space/size referenced anywhere, so trust you can see dimensions.
Appreciate the help, cheers!

Man of Honour
I would have said the Phanteks for the extra 5 years warranty but I don't think it will fit. It's 170mm long but then you also need to factor in the modular connectors so with the drive cages in plcae I don't think it will fit. Even the Superflower is 160mm long so once the cables are fitted it's going to be tight. If you don't use the pair of 3.5" drive bays then take them out and there will be no clearance issues no matter which psu you go for.

Associate
OP
That looks perfect.

I think I could run a 3080 (according to an online calculator) on a 650 psu, but I read somewhere its better not to push your psu.
Someone here linked to a video where a chap ran a 2080 TI gaming rig from a 450w psu, so Im thinking 850 is futureproofing. Dont need 850 today.
Like the look of the super compact 750w Phanteks. Thanks EsaT.

Ive not opened a PC case to change anything in 15 years, hence the noob comment. Nothing looks anything like it used to. Can I do any damage by plugging anything in wrong, or not really? Is watching a few YouTube Videos more than sufficient training when swapping out a PSU?

Associate
make sure you disconnect it from the wall plug first then fit the new one and use the cables that come with it in the box '' dont '' try and use others! thern when its all connected reconnect the wall plug and turn it on
and 1 cable per power slot on a gfx card not 1 cable on 2 slots!!

Associate
OP
make sure you disconnect it from the wall plug first then fit the new one and use the cables that come with it in the box '' dont '' try and use others! thern when its all connected reconnect the wall plug and turn it on
Thanks. The 1 cable per slot Ill remember. Cheers!

Associate
OP
Can you explain, would new PC's or just older PCs need to use cables from the PSU box? Why are you suggesting not to use existing cables?
Just keen to learn, thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.
And what of using one cable per power slot on the graphics card - does a 3080 need 3 cables to run from the PSU to the card (3 seperate cables)?

Soldato
While dedicated cable per connector is ideal, two cables with use of one extra daisy chained connector should be enough.
At least for not overvolted to even more crazier power consumption models.

Also 140mm long Seasonic Focus 850W would come with three cables, but stock situation has been bad for long.

Associate
OP
While dedicated cable per connector is ideal, two cables with use of one extra daisy chained connector should be enough.
At least for not overvolted to even more crazier power consumption models.

Also 140mm long Seasonic Focus 850W would come with three cables, but stock situation has been bad for long.
I went through the 850 psus one by one until I noticed those (140mm) and I noted the no stock situ! Well spotted, thank you. It looks like what Id like, in 140mm depth and 850w power.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom