Please help. New gaming pc for my son.

Associate
Hi guys. Ok please dont laugh at me cus i hav no idea about pcs, can someone advise me. My son has been asking me for 2 years for a pc for gaming hes young so i didnt want to get him at 1st but now hes a little older and maturing iv decided to buy one for him but i have no idea where to even begin as i have no clue on this whole pc gaming stuff. I have seen on youtube people building and i like the look of all that glowy led stuff but other than that i have no idea what they are putting in these things so therefor i cannot build i dont have the time for that so im looking for advice on built systems only. This will be his 1st pc and entry into the whole pc gaming world so im thinking to start small for him because only games ino of is those minecraft and roblox types which i believe are minor and dont even require gaming pc?! but then the fortnite type of games he goes on about ino does... plus as he grows within pc gaming he can upgrade and add parts etc because i kno hel start getting into better more advance games as time goes on. I need help with advise on what desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse to buy thats a good start to pc gaming i dont have a large budget at all but ino all this stuff is very expensive so ill roughly be sticking within under 1k range, the cheaper the better but at the same time i defo want him to still have decent quality. Any advice would be so helpful Thanks.

Man of Honour
My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Titan Tanto Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.60GHz = £723.91
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:OcUK 24x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Seagate FireCuda SSHD 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 Quad Core 1200 3.40GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Dark Pro 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (TDPRD48G3000
    • Case:Zalman T2 Plus Mini-Tower USB 3.0 - Black
    • Security Software:Unwanted
    • Graphics Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1050Ti StormX 4096MB PCI-Express GDDR5 Graphics Card
  • 1 x AOC E2270SWDN 21.5" 1920x1080 TN Widescreen LED Monitor - Black= £74.99
  • 1 x Logitech MK120 Desktop Set (920-002552)= £19.99
  • 1 x Creative A60 2.0 Speaker System (51MF1635AA001)= £14.99
Total: £856.98 (includes shipping: £23.10)

a start.
of course there are cheaper options should you require. but i've tried to keep it to components that give best value

Soldato
Above prob best method.
Not sure how much this list would cost to have OCUK build for yourself , if it would be done for £630 then might be a good option with room to upgrade in future . If it sits at £650 the. Above it just the better option

Total: £588.55 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
OP
Thank you guys. Much appreciated, that 1st ryzen one though is out of stock. And for the cheaper desktop suggestion below will they build it for me?

Soldato
The 2400G does handle Fortnite nicely. As it's Freesync capable, it could be paired with a Freesync monitor that doesn't cost the earth for even smoother performance. See vid at 3:23:

I should add that the game looks fine on low settings at 1080p, not vastly different to how high settings look.

He'll probably need a headset with mic to communicate with his team-mates. Could get that in place of speakers. The HyperX Cloud Stinger is £40 (not available from OcUK) and gets decent reviews for its budget cost. It's the one thing missing from this spec:

Total: £828.83 (includes shipping: £14.10)

He doesn't need a lot of CPU/graphics power so that is fine, but I'd spend a bit more on the above peripherals (for example) than just the cheapest out there, so that they stand a better chance of (a) pleasing him and (b) lasting longer. It could get more expensive in the long run, having to replace more things than necessary, every year.

Spec also includes glowy lights which you mentioned liking (CPU cooler/keyboard/mouse). Motherboard has an RGB header for the CPU cooler's RGB fan, which not all budget motherboards have.

550W PSU to better handle video card upgrades in future.

will they build it for me?

Yes, once you decide on a build, contact them by phone or through Customer Service forum, and tell/show them the proposed build, and they will give you a build quote.

Soldato
Tamz version is more powerful, but not sure how much they could charge to build the list which can come cheaper in the sum of parts... Just finding that balance between the two...
List builds also come with the same PC built warranties .
That case for £35 isn't to bad a deal, not sure when it'll get into stock but shouldn't be that long , for the price. Worth it .
Danny included a lovely pretty cooler unlike myself. Handy if you ask them to '''overclock' which we would all highly recommend , specially in that chip . More power for free in a nut shell and letter performance for your money .
Above had a bigger board for the same cash as mine which does look fill out the case and looks nicer, I just quoted the Gigabyte brand due to better UK warranty and rep support on here. But the system should get full support from OCUK anyways , so either way, you'll be covered :)

Soldato
That case for £35 isn't to bad a deal, not sure when it'll get into stock but shouldn't be that long , for the price. Worth it .

It looks a steal and hopefully build quality isn't too shoddy. It's weird that they've mounted the front fan in the lowest position by default. Not like hard drives really need direct cooling these days unless you add two or three in close proximity. Anyway, good thing it's easy to move it up to the highest position so it better feeds cool air to the CPU cooler.

In a year or two, if he adds a graphics card, I'd then get another 120mm case fan to fill the front-middle position, to help with cooling the card. They're only £10 on average so no biggie.

Back
Top Bottom