1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Whitestar

Wise Guy

I got this email from [email protected] today.

Ummmm........ No!

2. Biffa

Man of Honour

Slacker :p

3. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Perhaps you should rejoin if they correct the typos and send out later version 1.5. :p

4. Viking

Gangster

I got one of these too!

I must be soft, 'cos now I've gone dual-core I started running BOINC again on the other one.

Well, why not?

5. Whitestar

Wise Guy

Because the software eats up far too much memory, its not really a worth while project anymore and folding is much better.

6. VeNT

Capodecina

fact!
    I just got one of these too!

Our records show that you've been with [email protected] since 10 September 2000, but it's been 227 days since you last returned a work unit. We want you back, and here's why:

7. oxygene

Mobster

Hell I would chose folding over aliens any day.

8. shadowscotland

Sgarrista

there are other BOINC projects you know ;) It's not just ET stuff, you could swap to one of thoses if you want to split you processing power.

9. MGP

Mobster

497 days for me :(

Never mind, I'm sure they will survive, but sorry, there are better projects out there, folding for one, but also other boinc ones too.

10. mikeymike

Hitman

i think we should cure all our own genetic diseases, and sort out our climate first before looking for possible aliens who possibly live 200million years away who we can possibly contact at some very distant time in the future (if we somehow manage not to destroy the earth ourselves before then)

11. Viking

Gangster

Ah, but you see, if we contact aliens, they'll give us al the answers we need, won't they?

;)

12. babyface uk

Wise Guy

depends if they decide to wipe us all out first, or turn us into there pets etc.....

13. RobOC

Hitman

Wonder if they'll tell b0rkley how to run a project and respect their users :p :p :p

14. diogenese

Mobster

That means I've been folding for nearly two years:eek:

15. Whitestar

Wise Guy

I just looked at the time it says i havnt been crunching. 49 days. Thats means that i've still got at least one machine still crunching enhanced work units.

Its not boinc that i have a problem with. Its the seti enhanced client. Its rubbish, porly designed and very badly implemented. And as someone mentioned borkely really need to brush up on how they treat their users and work with them rather than alienate them (pun intented).

16. oceaness

Wise Guy

Dear Oceaness:

We'd like to invite you to reconnect with [email protected] Our records show that you've been with [email protected] since 18 September 2001, but it's been 13435 days since you last returned a work unit. We want you back, and here's why.

13435 days :eek: I don't think it's been that long :confused: I'm only 19 years old :p

And no that is what the email says. No typo.

17. Whitestar

Wise Guy

According to that [email protected] has been running for over 39 years.

Just goes to show how well they keep thier records.

18. br83taylor

Gangster

What problems did you have with SETI enhanced? I find it very good, especially the new credit system which is much fairer than the old one. Plus compared to Folding you get a much more even ppd, cause all the WU get about the same points, so there is no luck involved in getting more points.

I don't find this at all, mine seem to take about 60meg each. far less than many Folding or Climate projects....

Overall i don't think you can dish SETI due to either BOINC or SETI enhanced. (you obviously can dish it, or not, on its Science mertits relative to other DC projects.)

19. Biffa

Man of Honour

I didn't get an email, I feel left out :(

But at least I don't feel like a slacker :D

20. SiriusB

Capodecina

Dish? What has crockery got to do with [email protected]? Other than it is a complete crock...

[email protected]'s WUs are all the same because to be honest there isn't THAT much variation in data they want you to look at. Basically noise... wooah!

F[email protected]'s WUs all vary because they are different proteins and also different experiments on said proteins. Some proteins are tiny.. some are huge! [email protected]'s point's system is also very good considering the variation. Oh and Stanford are competant, unlike borkely.

SiriusB