Please Rejoin SETI@Home

Associate
I never suggested that the idea is that aliens would help us solve anything :p that's just silly. I'm going to try to make this my last post on this. And yes that will make the nay sayers happy. I aim to please. :)

Most likely a detected intelligent/logical signal would be from a transmission that was randomly sent millions of years ago by a civilization that no longer exists.

But just having proof of their existence could be enough to eventually change the "we're it" and "we're entitled" mind sets that cause less cooperation and more conflict.

It could be like... that point in sky where the signal came from would become for future generations as much a fixture as the moon. I think that would cause society in general to grow up to be a whole lot smarter in every corner of the globe.

I don't see how proof of another civilization could not be the most profound discovery.

EDIT: I guess that a good analogy to the "effect on society" that I'm getting at is like what astronauts talk about when they've seen the Earth from space. The way they are affected by it. Something like that except that everyone has it... you could get a critical mass of wiser attitudes around the world from it :cool: OK I'm done now :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I admire you sticking to your guns over SETI, and any DC project needs its contributers to be passionate about it. But still, I am not convinced SETI is the best use of spare CPU cycles.

As a sort of special end to this debate, I have just discovered MY "come back to SETI" email lost in the depths of my spam folder :D

SiriusB

Man of Honour
SiriusB said:
I'm with Whitestar on this!

Also, there is plenty of competition in folding! While I have been folding for Team 10 there have been a couple of races and that's just in our team. I am sure stuff like this happens all over the place!

Also, there is a constant battle ground of stomps and anti-stomp maneouvers! Freefaller thought he was safe from me, but i'll have him stomped by Christmas. deej thought he was gonna stomp me, not looking likely at the moment :D

I parped oceaness several months ago, I shall be making good on tha parp later today :p

So, plenty of competition and that's just from my perspective!

SiriusB

1. Races, sorry nothing like the comraderie and races we used to have.
2. Stomps, heh and thats special how? This forum used to be humming with posts, stomps, restomps, general silliness and mahoosive farms.

We used to be #1 in seti, and it was a long hard fight, with inter-team races and all sorts. Not dissing F@H's competition but anyone who was here then will back me up whatever you are doing (and its admirable that you are) is a pale shadow to how it was.

Of course its nothing like the dull smudge on the floor that is the joi-de-vivre of seti teamsmanship these days, *sigh* oh well. Maybe it will pick up a bit. :) I'll give it time.

Man of Honour
Whitestar said:
I've no problem admitting that it was S@H that got me into DC, but the S@H that got me into DC is a lot different than S@H now. There have been a lot of changes, some good, some bad. S@H did blaze the way for other DC projects, but I think is also what has caused one of the bad changes at S@H.

[RANT]
Ever since they moved over to BOINC and people and the media took more notice, they seem to have this 'holier than thou' attitude towards other DC projects.
Its like they are sitting there saying 'We are the best project, so were gonna carry on doing what we like and not give a monkies about the users that got us here.' Thats the sort of impression I get from S@H now.
[/RANT]

Never bothered me, I am just bemused by it all, yes its not as, oh I dunno, "special" anymore without the proxys and the cacheing and the simplistic dumbass nature of the original, but I just kept on crunching through the outages and the teething trouble and it never really bothered me. Seems no more different, and they seem no more different than they were before.

As for the science, *shrug* I crunch seti because it interests me, the topic, the subject, the "chance" intrigue the hell out of me. Folding interests me as well but not as much. Simple enough. ;)

Associate
OP
The trouble now biffa, is that back then there was only seti. There might have been one or two others, but no one knew about them, so everyone was crunching seti.

Now, there are so many projects, that everyone can pretty much find a project they like. The seti team has been split into all these other projects.

Im sure its not jujst us that have noticed a change in the past couple of years. There must be other group similar to us that all crunched seti back in the day, but now are split due to there being so many other projects.

Soldato
That's the main reason for people switching of their seti boxes I think.

Most folders would argue the improvements in human wellbeing offset the damage from changes in the climate.

Soldato
Still uses more energy than turning the thing off completely. Your attitude is the same one which stops targets being met. "It's better than it could be!" Not good enough.

/Hypocrisy :D

Soldato
We pay for politicians and power companies to give us green power and look after the environment. If they don't too bad.
Just a shame the money's wasted on expensive dirty power production and politicians who haven't the balls to do something about it. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Berserker said:
What he said. I've replaced pretty much all the lightbulbs in my house, and as for the heating, well, it's only been on about one or two days a week on average this year. :eek:

Due to the extra heat output from your machines...

Thus making them 100% energy efficient :p

Associate
OP
How many people here use their pc's as heaters? Wheres the hands up smilie when you need it. :D

Mind you, with conroe not throwing out heat equivalent to a jet engine, you would need more of them to make up for a northwood.

Soldato
Whitestar said:
How many people here use their pc's as heaters? Wheres the hands up smilie when you need it. :D

Mind you, with conroe not throwing out heat equivalent to a jet engine, you would need more of them to make up for a northwood.

I've had to install heaters since I upgraded!

Back
Top Bottom