Plex & Google Drive

Associate
Its time to get rid of the DVD collections - nobody plays them unless they are on Netflix/recorded etc!

My little angels have ipad/tablets/PS4

Whats peoples thoughts on using Google Drive and Plex to create our library?

Does it work well?
Is there a particular format to convert the media for say PS4?
Would be handy for holidays - as the sync option for mobiles would work well.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Granted it's been a while since I used a PS4, but the standard media app on there wasn't capable of handling DTS audio tracks when I had one. Which is why I got rid and replaced it with another xbox one. That may be different now, of course, as this was a couple years ago. This issue is somewhat negated with using PLEX though, as that handles the audio for you. But at that time, I preferred to use Serviio for my home streaming.

I dont know the ins and outs of how Google drive works though. Does it allow you to install Plex right there on the remote system? If not, would you not then need your home computer connected to it in order for it to work correctly? (like if it was a mapped drive on your computer, similar to Onedrive). And then your limitation would be your upload bandwidth capability from your home connection, as it would be if Plex was installed on a local machine?

I use Plex in my home, and remote access from my home server, using my home connection. I have Sky Fibre Max, which is apparently around 20Mb upload capacity. And that seems about right. I paid to have the Plex app on one of my ipads to allow me to stream to it from home, as I work out the country a lot. You have some different options with Plex, such as the Plex Pass, which is a subscription service, and gives you a whole lot extra features, or you can unlock a device for media playback only, at a reasonable cost of around £4 IIRC. As I use this function relatively rarely, and don't require the need to specifically download the content to my device, and only need it on one device, I chose the cheaper option of only activating one device, rather than the subscription for any device linked to my account.

But as I am usually on oil rigs, the connection speed there isn't really up to much. Where the likes of Netflix reduces the bitrate suitably so you still get a decent looking picture with lower download speeds, Plex only recently brought in this function. It's difficult for me to tell how well it actually works, as I have no real idea what my connection speeds offshore are like, but when I'm in hotels and the likes, I do still get a pretty decent picture.

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply
yeah I've already got a plex pass (3.99) and then a 1tb google drive (£7.99) so... just reading about a dedicated server that hosts plex... few options seem to be around £15 per month.... guess could come in handy for some test websites that I do now and again.....would probably still need the plex pass though.
Have googled and it seems it's a bit hit and miss streaming from google drive or the other cloud providers.... maybe an always on raspberry PI may be better..... at home we have 150mb Virgin Broadband... so I guess that will be ok for streaming around the house and the odd time we are out of network....

Soldato
Yeah, that would probably work. I used to have a seedbox that had Plex installed on it, could never get the Plex bit figured out though. But that wouldn't have had any bandwidth issues. IIRC that was around £17 a month or so with 1.7 TB of capacity.

Back
Top Bottom