Plumber advice - Mira sport shower

Soldato
My missus has the following shower :-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mira-spo...MI-quA3b623gIVE-d3Ch0BCQGnEAQYASABEgJ6WfD_BwE

The showerhead is broken and I've bought a replacement one. However when I try to attach it (universal connection apparently) the air valve prevents the connection.

My thought is to file the opening on the head so that the air valve fits but is it possible to remove the airboost valve altogether and just have the hose attached to the head? If you click the Screwfix link and download the instructions I'm referring to steps 21 and 22 for the airboost valve that is in the hose itself.

Soldato
The air option is only going to work with a Mira head, I have the 10.8kw version, the head can only be replaced like for like. Any old shower head won't work I'm afraid.

If you use a non Mira head without the air plumbing and accidently turn on the air boost it will damage the air motor.

Soldato
OP
Oddly enough, it is Mira Response shower head that i went with, but after the threaded section there is a slight narrowing of the opening which blocks the airboost from going into the shower head properly. Screwfix do sell the Mira Sport Shower model, but the shower heads aren't 'sport' specific but do say they are universal connections.

Associate
Did you remove the air valve Derek? Was everything OK with the shower?
I've just moved in a house that has this shower.
I really want to fit my old water filter to the hose but the air valve inside the hose prevents me doing this.
Our water pressure is fine so won't ever use the airboost function.
My hair is getting ruined without my filter but I don't want the shower to explode.
What happened in the end?

Soldato
OP
Did you remove the air valve Derek? Was everything OK with the shower?
I've just moved in a house that has this shower.
I really want to fit my old water filter to the hose but the air valve inside the hose prevents me doing this.
Our water pressure is fine so won't ever use the airboost function.
My hair is getting ruined without my filter but I don't want the shower to explode.
What happened in the end?

My partner had a separate shower head which attached to her bath when her kids were younger and that one fitted albeit without the valve that the old showerhead had so the showers autoboost option pulses when it's engaged and the power in normal function has been reduced a bit. It was more of a makeshift replacement in the end

Associate
The shower still worked OK without the extra air valve in the hose though?
I'm just worried it's gonna break or damage the shower unit if I remove it.
I just want to fit my water filter between the hose and the shower head, but this valve gets right in the way.
Not interested in the airboost anyways.
Don't use it, the pressure is very good

Soldato
It will work fine without the air pipe as long as you don't use the air boost function, if you do it will suck water back into the water pump.

Back
Top Bottom