plumbing in fridge

Soldato
Hi

looking to get a fridge/freezer with water and ice plumbed in. I want to put it on the other side of the room to the kitchen which has a door on each side. problem is, i dont have a water supply over there so will have to run it somehow around the walls or through the ceiling.

can't do anything with the floor so has to be walls or ceiling.

has anyone done this and can offer tips?

the water pipe will prob have to go about 10 meters.

i also dont want to get the non plumbed in versions. not wanting to fill a tank all the time.

Soldato
If you go upto the ceiling you'll probably need a pump which will be noisy.

Piping it up the wall and around the doorframe will be extremely tacky.

Frankly if you want one you're going to have to do it properly. Plumb it under the floor, or change placement of the fridge closer to a water supply.

Soldato
I have reently done the same but the solution is entirely dependant on where water is currently piped in your house.

I located the nearest accessible water supply upstairs (in my case the water supply going to the ensuite in a wall cavity that I could get to by cutting out a section of platerboard), added a t valve, new section of pipework and isolation valve. This ran into the airing cupboard upstairs where I installed the filter an drilled a hole through to the ground floor behind the fridge/freezer.

Associate
If you go upto the ceiling you'll probably need a pump which will be noisy.

why would it need a pump, it'll be under mains pressure( not sure if it's mains pressure to the fridge but it will be upto where the pipe to the fridge connects)

is the bathroom anywhere near above the kitchen to tap into the cold supply.

Soldato
OP
really dont want to mess with the floor as the wife will not be happy at ripping up amtico flooring.

there is the main bathroom above but the floor is tiled. I may have to get into the wall behind the bathroom sink and feed it down the wall cavity to a hole in the kitchen.

will a self tapping fixing be ok or does it need a proper T section.

This seems like a much more difficult job than when i was just looking at fridges.

thanks so far.

Associate
make a hole in the ceiling and do it all through that, its easy enough to patch a bit of plasterboard in.
i would only use proper fittings etc. especially if its not easily accesable afterwards, but i wouldn't do jobs like that myself anyway as i've a couple of good mates who are plumbers so don't touch water related stuff.

Soldato
why would it need a pump, it'll be under mains pressure( not sure if it's mains pressure to the fridge but it will be upto where the pipe to the fridge connects)

Good point! For some reason I was thinking similar to hot water needing pumping if climbing a height and needing to maintain pressure.

Soldato
Fridges use small bore tubing so it would be very easy to drop that down the cavity from above but you will probably need to source some extra tubing in a long enough length.

Easiest would be to use a T piece with a threaded outlet like this and then use a 3/4 to 1/4 adaptor on that like this and then simply run the tubing down the cavity.

I don't see any need to run a full 15mm connection down to the fridge itself, that may well be harder then you think.

Soldato
shouldn't need a high flow rate , so a narrow bore pipe - even plastic, with pressure regulator; but, would water in this spur pipe become stagnant -
so, do you have to use a minimum amount of ice a day to avoid that, and the ice having a taste.

presumably there's no adjoined water tank option ... like espresso machines.

Associate
You must really like ice for it to be worth all this hassle :p

Ice and luke warm water if its anything like our plumbed lg fridge freezer ! I was expecting ice cold water on tap but that isn't the case apparently they only hold 500ml - 1ltr of water in the tank. Although using the insulated metal bottles I wouldn't live without it now !

We had ours done by a plumber whist they were fitting a new kitchen etc and he cut a hole in ceiling near bathroom and added a t valve routed it to the larder next to the fridge then there is an isolation valve with the filter in the larder.

Back
Top Bottom