Points per year

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I'm by far a sunday driver, and I often exceed the speed limit - but I do so as a calculated risk and in what I believe to be sensible and suitable areas, times etc... I think I concur to your second point. :)
i know we've corresponded outside the forums but i also know that you agreeing with me has nothing to do with this.
the fact remains it's easy to get caught speeding....if you're an unobservant driver or you are conciously driving above the limit.
if you are trying to drive WITHIN the limit then it's far from easy, no matter what certain members in here or motors related websites may have you believe.

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
so either all the above are sunday drivers that cover MINIMAL mileage per year or the unthinkable is actually the case.
that i may just be a tad correct and that it's NOT so easy to be caught speeding if you're actually paying attention and are trying to drive under/at the posted limit.

Neither assumption is correct. I'm not a sunday driver. And I rarely drive at/under the speed limit except in Urban areas.

Every time I go near a motorway I usually end up doing the best part of 100, and on decent A roads I'll hapilly sit at 80 or 90 all day long if the conditions are fine.

Despite that, I'm yet to be caught. I've had a few "oh ****" momment where I'm pretty sure coppers have seen me, and I've had a couple of panic moments wonderinf if I slowed down in time for a badly places speed camera, but so far so good.

Soldato
PeterNem said:
Neither assumption is correct. I'm not a sunday driver. And I rarely drive at/under the speed limit except in Urban areas.

Every time I go near a motorway I usually end up doing the best part of 100, and on decent A roads I'll hapilly sit at 80 or 90 all day long if the conditions are fine.

Despite that, I'm yet to be caught. I've had a few "oh ****" momment where I'm pretty sure coppers have seen me, an dI've had a couple of panic moments wonderinf ig I slowed down in time for a badly places speed camera, but so far so good.
if it was easy to be caught unintentionally then anyone that covers over 20-30k miles per year would be banned...yet this isn't the case.

Soldato
Indeed, my point was more along the lines that your post was stating the bleeding obvious, and that most drivers here didn't fit into either category.

You referred to Sunday drivers (not most of the people here), and those which try to drive at or under the posted limit (I suspect most here drive over it a considerable amount of the time).

Of course it's not easy to get caught speeding if you're at or under the limit - mainly because you're not speeding at all!

Caporegime
The_Dark_Side said:
if it was easy to be caught unintentionally then anyone that covers over 20-30k miles per year would be banned...yet this isn't the case.

Read what I replied. I do 25,000 miles a year and I still maintain that it is only fixed cameras and marked cops that are relatively "easy" to aviod catching you out. Its the unmarked cars and hidden radar guns that "could" catch you out.

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
so either all the above are sunday drivers that cover MINIMAL mileage per year or the unthinkable is actually the case.
that i may just be a tad correct and that it's NOT so easy to be caught speeding if you're actually paying attention and are trying to drive under/at the posted limit.

I did 10k miles in my first 2 months of driving!

I think i've done about 22k in total now - not bad. :)

Don
The_Dark_Side said:

in the 14 years I have had without any points I have probably done 500,000 miles and yes I put it down to keeping aware of ehat is going on

Soldato
paradigm said:
Read what I replied. I do 25,000 miles a year and I still maintain that it is only fixed cameras and marked cops that are relatively "easy" to aviod catching you out. Its the unmarked cars and hidden radar guns that "could" catch you out.
again, re-read my post.
the people that are "caught out" are either intentionally breaking the posted limit, or are so unobservant they don't know how fast they are travelling/cannot maintain a speed in a vehicle.

i've been caught speeding myself many times but i was conciously driving above the limit.

Soldato
PeterNem said:
Indeed, my point was more along the lines that your post was stating the bleeding obvious, and that most drivers here didn't fit into either category.

You referred to Sunday drivers (not most of the people here), and those which try to drive at or under the posted limit (I suspect most here drive over it a considerable amount of the time).

Of course it's not easy to get caught speeding if you're at or under the limit - mainly because you're not speeding at all!
i used the phrase sunday drivers in a sarcastic fashion as obviously the members in here are all petrol heads and cover typically way over average mileage.

it IS easy to get caught, if you're actually trying to break the limit.
i maintain if you are trying to abide by the posted limit it most definitely is not easy to be snapped.

Permabanned
Tomsk said:
15 points in 22 years

Do I win? :p

No, you loose to me who has 18 points in 9 years, and only because I choose to speed when I feel the conditions are right, unfortunately, the fuzz like to sit on top of bridges and point things at me!!!, so, 'OMFGBBQLOLWTF!1!1!1!' child killer me! :rolleyes:

Don
The_Dark_Side said:
and based on your choice of cars i'm guesing you break the limit a lot yeah?
and yet you have no points.....because you clearly have good observational skills.

and the odd bit of technology ;)

in truth I do out it down to observational skills , I think 10 years of motorcycle riding teaches you this

Man of Honour
The_Dark_Side said:
i know we've corresponded outside the forums but i also know that you agreeing with me has nothing to do with this.
the fact remains it's easy to get caught speeding....if you're an unobservant driver or you are conciously driving above the limit.
if you are trying to drive WITHIN the limit then it's far from easy, no matter what certain members in here or motors related websites may have you believe.

Chatting off the forums wouldn't stop me agreeing/disagreeing with you ;)

I think as has been said, it's down to observation, being sensible and not pushing your luck. :) I also believe that my 3 years on 2 wheels has helped a lot at evaluating risk, analysing road conditions, and situations.

I have been pulled over before for driving too fast, but I wasn't driving in an erratic or dangerous way - they admitted this. I was told just to keep the speed down a bit. It helps being polite and apologetic too. But I think they can guage your driving pretty well - which is why I'd rather get pulled over or given a ticket by a cop than a machine - but that's a whole different argument! :p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Some very clean records here considering the length of their driving, ie. 22 years etc.

For me, in 4 years of driving I have no points. 0/year, but then I guess 4 years isn't enough to reflect upon.

Back
Top Bottom