Poker question

Soldato
Visage said:
I could always push a referral your way ;)

hehe cheaky :D

I'm up for it but I find poker companies love spamming. They aren't going to start bombarding me with e-mails just because you've referred me are they?

Edit

lol Gilly. Oh right.

Associate
Visage said:
Pacific Poker is good - lots of (relatively) easy money.

I could always push a referral your way ;)

I'm currently in love with PokerStars. A couple of days ago I won $4,800 in one tournament. Cost me $12. :D

Caporegime
Gilly said:
:confused:

I wanted as many in as long as possible. I needed their chips.

No point throwing away a massive chance at cash.

[edit]Aimed @ Visage

AA with 6+ people in the hand isnt as strong as you would think. if you wouldnt of hit the flop and people would have called bets/raises you could have been in a very bad position.

Caporegime
Gilly said:
I'm done for the day now. I can only play so many I get bored. I'm up for today so that'll do :)

Where do you play? I used to play PartyPoker and PokerStars, the Betfair software was just far too slow for me to start with, but you get used to it :)

i was watching the back end of one of the betfair tables yesterday. 4 different views of what was going on, then the code table dealt each card in turn, followed by the on screen table that the players see. atleast thats how it looked!

Man of Honour
OP
Morba said:
AA with 6+ people in the hand isnt as strong as you would think. if you wouldnt of hit the flop and people would have called bets/raises you could have been in a very bad position.
As I explained I wouldn't have been overly bothered about not winning the hand, I was low anyway and whatever happened I was going all-in. I wasn't asking advice on how I played the hand, just what the comment meant :) The scenario was just so I could phrase the question properly.

Associate
Morba said:

Agreed. Many people fall into the trap of thinking AA is invincible.

For example AA vs 27os (the worst possible starting hand of course).
Statistically 27 will still win 17% of the time. That's almost 1 in 5!

So just imagine.. AA vs 3, or 4 other hands. Here's an example...
Code:
cards     win   %win      lose  %lose       tie   %tie        EV
Ac Ad  578135  53.23    505081  46.51      2792   0.26     0.533
Tc 9c  206200  18.99    877016  80.76      2792   0.26     0.191
Jd Qh  124178  11.43    959038  88.31      2792   0.26     0.115
6d 5h  174703  16.09    908513  83.66      2792   0.26     0.162

AA vs 3 random hands that could easily be played. Statistically AA will only win approximately 50% of the time. Which for many people, isn't as much as they might have imagined.

Soldato
mks2005 said:
Agreed. Many people fall into the trap of thinking AA is invincible.

For example AA vs 27os (the worst possible starting hand of course).
Statistically 27 will still win 17% of the time. That's almost 1 in 5!

So just imagine.. AA vs 3, or 4 other hands. Here's an example...
Code:
cards     win   %win      lose  %lose       tie   %tie        EV
Ac Ad  578135  53.23    505081  46.51      2792   0.26     0.533
Tc 9c  206200  18.99    877016  80.76      2792   0.26     0.191
Jd Qh  124178  11.43    959038  88.31      2792   0.26     0.115
6d 5h  174703  16.09    908513  83.66      2792   0.26     0.162

AA vs 3 random hands that could easily be played. Statistically AA will only win approximately 50% of the time. Which for many people, isn't as much as they might have imagined.

Yeah but that goes on the assumption people with poor hands will play them no matter what. Often making out you've got a strong hand like AA's keep away a lot of competition. So on that basis alone pocket AAs probably collects the pot more than 70% of the time.

Soldato
Limping with Aces into a five player pot when short and on an aggressive table is frankly a terrible move. Great you've hit 4oK here and all is dandy, but expect to be leaving the table more often than not.

@divaboy, I've recently tried FL, and only broke even. I don't like the fact that you cannot value your hand, you have to bet a fixed amount and face being outdrawn. Also, I can make steady small profit, then lose a monster. I know that can happen with any discipline but it's been consistent with FL for me.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Not if you're not bothered about losing it isn't.

As I said it was all or nothing.

Well if you're not bothered about the outcome then play however the hell you want. Why not fold?

Take things a bit more seriously and you might make some money ;)

Soldato
I've read it. My first post in this thread covered the entire scenario. If you're going to post in that much detail in the OP then expect strategy to be discussed. I've just offered my take on how you played it, no need to get defensive :)

Soldato
Poker is all about giving your opponents the wrong odds to make a call.

eg/ You have 3 of a kind after the flop and your opponent is on a flush draw. How you know he is on a draw comes from experience, bu lets disregard that for now. You hav won the hand as long as he misses the flush.

Pot size= $100

you are first to act.
you bet $30

he now has to bet $30 to win a pot of $130
pot odds 4.33/1

The actual odds of making a flush are about 5/1. Therefore, by calling the bet, the caller is making a mistake.

Limping with AA is usually a bad idea. against one caller you are a big favourite, especially if they have a pocket pair. However, letting more people into the pot is a big risk.
IMO You played the hand perfectly after the flop, however in a short stacked position you will probably have an all in called by A-8 or better because people know ou need to make a move. Therefore it would be more profitable in the long run to raise a large amount preflop(4-5 times the big blind) and then go all in after the flop. Plus if you get an awful flop with all suited cards on the board and you have no matching card, to get away from the hand.

But!!!! Nice hand.

I'm still waiting for my Royal Flush. Best is a king high straight flush so far.

edited due to maths mistake Brenos

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
BrenOS said:
I've read it. My first post in this thread covered the entire scenario. If you're going to post in that much detail in the OP then expect strategy to be discussed. I've just offered my take on how you played it, no need to get defensive :)
I'm not getting defensive, I'm saying that from the scenario given and the circumstances I played it perfectly and you're wrong about saying it was a terrible move:)

Back
Top Bottom