Police 1 - Cyclists 0

Associate
As a fellow cyclist who stops a red lights (except turning left as they're piloting it around my way), I always seem to catch those that run the red lights - a bit like the tortoise and the hare.

Seen a couple of incidents where cyclists get mown over whilst jumping the lights - they get ignored by the law abiding cyclist and bikers. Serves them right in my harsh opinion.

Personally, I think they should be actively stopping those that run red lights regularly - never seen it happen on my 6 mile route.

Man of Honour
More often than not people will have IDs on them. What happens if they don't then I'm not sure - I'm sure one of our fellow boys in blue will tell us. Anyway, even if not, then this brings into absolute contendment the need for registration stamps on bikes.

I believe you get a summons which is quite easy to ignore and get away with - however in the unlikely event they catch up with you at a later date the penalty can be quite severe.

Man of Honour
OP
Good way of discouraging cycling :rolleyes:, silly French, what a stupid system.

Err - on the contrary cycling in France is very popular, and very safe as a result, and makes cyclists accountable and registered. It also makes it easier to identify the owner of the bike in case it's stolen, it also provides some liability cover for incidents, and since everyone that is a law abiding citizen does it, it works very well. So yes very silly indeed. :rolleyes:

LOL! I had no idea it was called Sams! I've often gone in there for MOTs and car parts etc... never once noticed it! :o

Soldato
Perhaps my comment was a bit premature, but, I have a few questions first:

1: Does it cost anything?
2: What's the case with kids below 12
3: What about vandalism ?
4: What about fraud/theft of them plates ?

But yes, it sounds like unneeded hassle and some people might just not bother and get a motorbike or car instead if you need to register the thing anyways... And yes, one of the advantages of cycling in the big city is not always having to wait for the lights...

Err - on the contrary cycling in France is very popular,
No it isn't. it's 6 times less popular than here. ( according to this, but I haven't searched much I just clicked the first thing in google )
The link also shows that even while many cyclists ignore laws and police largely ignore them also, it has nothing to do with the actual safety ( the number of cyclist deaths)...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Perhaps my comment was a bit premature, but, I have a few questions first:

1: Does it cost anything?
2: What's the case with kids below 12
3: What about vandalism ?
4: What about fraud/theft of them plates ?

But yes, it sounds like unneeded hassle and some people might just not bother and get a motorbike or car instead if you need to register the thing anyways... And yes, one of the advantages of cycling in the big city is not always having to wait for the lights...

No it isn't. it's 6 times less popular than here. ( according to this, but I haven't searched much I just clicked the first thing in google )
The link also shows that even while many cyclists ignore laws and police largely ignore them also, it has nothing to do with the actual safety...

Those stats are old, and if you see in the city stats, london doesn't even appear but Paris does, so it's not exactly consistent. Sure it's not as popular in the whole of France as France is over 2x bigger than the UK, but in the cities (Paris in particular) there is a lot of cycling maybe not as much as the UK, but it's popular nonetheless. :)

And you say advantage is that you don't have to wait for the lights? That's the point you DO have to wait for the lights, you cannot hop onto the pavement etc...

1. yes it's a nominal charge - I can't remember how much, but it's not prohibitive and it's part of the process - just like taxing your car is here.

2. I don't have that info to hand.

3. What about it?

4. same as any other registration document stolen.

Soldato
1. yes it's a nominal charge - I can't remember how much, but it's not prohibitive and it's part of the process - just like taxing your car is here.

2. I don't have that info to hand.

3. What about it?

4. same as any other registration document stolen.

1: Well then, that's exactly what I mean, cycling is supposed to be free, you buy a 2nd hand bike for 20-50€ and you can cycle for years. If it'd be taxed then I'd rather ride a moped.
2: I just can't see how it'd work with kids...
3: Well, as here with lights, bells, etc, the reg would be knocked off and the owner would have to pay to replace it :rolleyes:.
4: Again, more hassle.

Cycling is popular here because it's a flat country with short travel distances and good cycle path infrastructure, but also because it's hassle free, you buy a cheapo bike, you cycle without ever paying anything, having to do anything, worry about traffic lights in non busy road conditions, etc...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
How do police fine cyclist?
What stopping them from screwing the fine up and riding away. What happens if you got no ID on you, if i was a cyclist i would have just rode away but then again i wouldnt ride through red traffic lights.

No ID, person won't tell you who they are, no address can be ascertained for possible summons etc the police can arrest under Section 24 of PACE.

Soldato
Good on the cops to be honest. I hate going from flat out to stopping for reds but **** happends. Rules are rules. The French approach seems to work well and it would be nice if we had it here. My boss in the bike shop I work in worked in France as a cycle tour guide and says cycling is so much more integrated.

Man of Honour
No ID, person won't tell you who they are, no address can be ascertained for possible summons etc the police can arrest under Section 24 of PACE.

Indeed. If you refuse to give details you get arrested. If you give false details, you'll probably get away with it, but you have committed an offence and if you do get found out, you will probably be arrested and charged for doing so.

Soldato
Nice, I'm a cyclist, but mostly mountain biking but when I'm on the road will obey all traffic lights and ride like I would a car, whenever i'm in london the cyclists are mental and go through every red light and do other things I wouldnt dream of. Glad they got caught! Hopefully more of this will lead to lives saved and cyclists obeying the rules.

Man of Honour
London cyclists do seem even worse than anywhere else...

At the lights just down from my old flat near Bromley they were getting knocked down almost weekly for jumping the red lights... can't count the number of times I'd be going down to the station and see a crumpled bike and someone being loaded onto an ambulance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen a couple of incidents where cyclists get mown over whilst jumping the lights - they get ignored by the law abiding cyclist and bikers. Serves them right in my harsh opinion.

Completely agree - if they're going to take the risk and end up without a spine, its their own bloody fault.

However, there's an impact (albeit a much lower one) on the driver too. Both from a psychological point of view, and the inevitable damage to the car. In these situations, I guarantee the driver is out of pocket for the damage.

Man of Honour
OP
1: Well then, that's exactly what I mean, cycling is supposed to be free, you buy a 2nd hand bike for 20-50€ and you can cycle for years. If it'd be taxed then I'd rather ride a moped.
2: I just can't see how it'd work with kids...
3: Well, as here with lights, bells, etc, the reg would be knocked off and the owner would have to pay to replace it :rolleyes:.
4: Again, more hassle.

Cycling is popular here because it's a flat country with short travel distances and good cycle path infrastructure, but also because it's hassle free, you buy a cheapo bike, you cycle without ever paying anything, having to do anything, worry about traffic lights in non busy road conditions, etc...

Good cycle lane infrastructure?! You what?! :confused:

You really are making a mountain out of a molehill on this aren't you?

You should have to obey the highway code. Off-roading is one thing I agree with you though, you're free to do what you want etc... But if you're going to be on the road with paying road users you should either have to a) adhere to the rules or b) keep off them.

Back
Top Bottom