Police application - background check

Soldato
I know that the Police used to a background check on an applicants parents but is that still the case with data protection and such nowadays?

Caporegime
Data protection rules (in terms of GDPR) are more about the validity/reason of the processing data, which in this instance I would assume is perfectly allowed.

A Police background check is pretty different from marketing.

Soldato
I know that the Police used to a background check on an applicants parents but is that still the case with data protection and such nowadays?

Yes I believe so. Someone I know has recently been accepted by the police and she said that the background check looked at family members.

Soldato
I believe they do a background check on family members, as well as a Personal DBS (Criminal Check).

I can check with my brother in law, if you don't get the answers you need - He joined the Met a couple of months ago.

Man of Honour
Does anyone know what is involved - is it a financial check or criminal record check or both?

Financial checks are only for the applicant. Family members and partners are checked against PNC, PND and other local intelligence databases. It's not purely a criminal record check for convictions but a check against the police record which contains more info on incidents and intel that haven't resulted in any formal action. There's also checks on public social media etc.

I believe they do a background check on family members, as well as a Personal DBS (Criminal Check).

It's worth noting the police do not use the DBS system, indeed it's the other way around.

Soldato

It depends on the purpose.

school work will have a background check, security SC will have a background check including parents etc and DV vetting will have interviews - everything from sexual preferences to motivations of you and your immediate family.

Soldato
Even SC can vary as there are a few different flavours of it, such as Met Police SC, and MOD SC etc. Met Police is more stringent I believe.
Anyway, OP, just apply if you're interested in applying. Be totally honest about all answers - it's more about that than anything else I think (up to a point of course). If questioned about anything then it'll be how you deal with it, under questioning and what you did to resolve any issues. For example I know someone back in 2010 was having his SC renewed. They picked up on his ongoing bankruptcy. They were interested in how he was dealing with it etc and all was fine - just had to discuss it.
I always say 'nothing to lose' to people concerned about applying for clearance etc :).
If found to be lying or hiding anything then of course it would be an automatic failure most likely

Soldato
OP
Its about OLD CCJs from a period when I was scammed of my life savings and had to sell my house and the business folded - just worried that it will affect my sons ability to join the force

Soldato
Those checks are more about you being involved in illegal activity. Having a failed business isn’t illegal, or uncommon. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Man of Honour
Those checks are more about you being involved in illegal activity. Having a failed business isn’t illegal, or uncommon. I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

It's not just illegal activity, but they're looking for weaknesses around potential to be bribed etc, which is why the financial vetting is done. Being in unmanageable debt can be cause for a failed vetting application.

Even SC can vary as there are a few different flavours of it, such as Met Police SC, and MOD SC etc. Met Police is more stringent I believe.

Police vetting isn't standardised with outside national security vetting for the most part. Offices will get a basic counter terrorism check, but 'SC' isn't really a thing in the police, unless you are in a niche position interfacing with other agencies.

Back
Top Bottom