Police officer shot dead in Croydon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Sky News now saying this, which to me, comes as no surprise whatsoever:

"Earlier, BBC Home Affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said it was believed the suspect was known to counter-terrorism police having been on their radar in the past, though the Met has not officially confirmed that."

Soldato
Some parts of London have turned in to geniune ****holes.

It used to be organised crime which didn't tend to involve random people on the street. But now it's the opposite.

Soldato
Associate
I knew Matt. Top bloke and had time for anyone. Was bombarding him with pictures from my NZ trip recentely. Absolutely gutted we lost him last night.

Man of Honour
Probably mentioned it before but it is the only place so far I've been randomly started on by a stranger in the street (wasn't even one of the worst parts).

(Unless it has changed a lot in the last 2 years most of it is nothing like a 3rd world country though some parts can be pretty depressing)

Haven’t been in Croydon proper for a long time, but Thornton Heath gives off a bad vibe.

Soldato
So sad :( my thoughts are with his family and friends

I read about it on FB last night and the quote implied he had been searched (just obviously not extensively)

"the gunman, a 23 year old man, had been taken to Croydon police station where he pulled out a loaded gun - which hadn't been found in the earlier stop and search"

Not sure where the FB source came from though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Detained on suspicion of possesion of ammunition and no one checked him for a firearm? Sound very odd.

It sounds like he was being searched when this incident happened - I guess it could have happened whether they chose to search him in the street or search him at the station - perhaps it is policy to search at the station.

Apparently the dude was handcuffed with his hands behind his back when he shot the officer and then himself!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...croydon-police-shooting-known-prevent-scheme?

Hard to imagine how that happens. Some significant **** up, you would think.

Damn... I was about to post about how UK police seem to be happy to handcuff in front at times and can be quite relaxed as we don't really have much of a firearms threat here whereas US police always seem to handcuff behind the back (uncomfortable for the suspect when being transported mind) because of this risk...

But he was handcuffed with hands behind his back??? That's nuts!

Caporegime
Undoubtedly sad news but how on earth does someone take a gun with them into custody? Incredible level of incompetence by the arresting officers.

Couple that with the reason he was being arrested it blows my mind, unless I’m missing something.

Soldato
Soldato
Very sad for the guy RIP.

Sadly its obvious one of the cops dropped the ball and didn't search the guy properly. A serious investigation needs to be carried out as to why a gun wasn't detected.

Don't they have metal detectors in police stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom