Police..rubbish at shooting?

Soldato
Plod policy is to never shoot to kill unless there is immediate threat to life. Aim for the nipples.

Also, just as an fyi, the SAS get more rounds to practice on in one session than Armed Response Police get in their entire deployment.

The SAS use automatic weapons, so that stands to reason.

Soldato
I thought they are only normally authorised to "Shoot to disable"?

I was never instructed like this!

If I ever had to draw a weapon or shoot a carbine to defend myself (or for some other reason), it was with the intention of putting them down for good...

I had very strict guidelines for the use of a firearm, if I didn't work within them and happened to injure/kill someone I would have been up on a(n) (attempted) murder charge.

Soldato
The SAS use automatic weapons, so that stands to reason.

So do some police units.

I have to say, with the exception of acts of firearm negligence (like accidental discharges in vehicles etc), the police in this country seem to get a pretty tough time when it comes to employing firearms. I don't envy the choices they have to make at all, especially the long term consequences.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What like shoot him in the kneecap?...i dont think so.

No kick them in the shins, who mentioned knee caps?,

Assesment as in,

Armed and dangerous, shoot centre mass, perp has small chance of survival due to circumstances during incident,

Movement, stature, officer aim, windage, ammo variability (although minute), situational stress of officer, weapon malfunction, and I suppose you could go on with so many other factors but you get the idea, any one or combintion of factors could end in injury rather than death, even down to a button or zip on clothes.

Terrorist/suicide bomber/hostage taker, armed police or snipers would endevour to hit the lower half of the brainstem (area controls involuntary movement), therefore either precision headshot or multiple pistol/small arms shots would be employed depending on situational and operational constraints.

So assesment in, weather to shoot, when to shoot, where to shoot (head or centre mass) not knee caps! :rolleyes:

Associate
where is the part about poor shooting in the article they injured him enough to be in a serious condition and didn't kill him whilst doing it, job well done? laughable comparing armed police units to sas as well.

Back
Top Bottom