Poll: Poll: Do you have a soldering iron?

Do you own, or have access to a soldering iron at home?

• Yes

Votes: 382 78.3%
  • No

Votes: 106 21.7%

• Total voters
Commissario
Inspired by a comment from someone on Twitter who I assumed would have a soldering iron but when questioned said "I never learned to solder".

Do you own a soldering iron, or have access to one at home?

Secondary question (no poll), if so, are you confident using it?

Soldato
Yes I do, although not used it for a very long time.

In fact the only reason I bought it was to do the resistor trick on the Corsair H100 to stop the pump rattling. Worked well and never used it since, probably 3 years ago now.

Man of Honour
yes and yes, but I really need a third pair of hands,
the amount of Chinese electronics that the wires detach on like head torches is atrocious.
and then wired up an e-bike battery, so yeah I can use one, might not be neat like others though.

Soldato
Yes, had one since school (I'm in my early 40s). Funnily enough I used it today to bodge a bayonet light fitting where the pins were so worn they didn't touch the bulb contacts. I don't want to replace the light as we're doing the whole kitchen soon so it was a handy fix.

Previous use was a few weeks ago, a wire had come off the battery connections on a little toy Audi Police car my son loves so the lights and siren stopped working.

Soldato
Yes and yes. Love soldering, really need to get myself a decent soldering station. Currently using an Antex 25w electric iron and also have a gas powered soldering iron which has been a godsend when doing automotive wiring.

Commissario
OP
My main iron is a very old Weller PU-3D, with different sized tips it does everything I've ever needed from a soldering iron.

I've had this for over thirty years and even though I say so myself, I'm damn good with it :)

ZKaZ2wW.jpeg

I know exactly how long it takes to warm up to operating temperature. I switch it on, walk to the bathroom to wet the sponge and by the time I get back, it's ready to go.

Commissario
OP
I don't think the sponge has ever been changed.
Funnily enough, I think that's my original sponge as well. It's looked as though it's on the way out for years but I just give it a good clean and squeeze and it's fine again. You can see some spare sponges stacked up behind the iron which I've bought but never got around to using :)

Soldato
Bought my first one last week in my attempt to learn basic electronics to automate the house for minimal cost. I don't know how to use it though.

Commissario
My main iron is a very old Weller PU-3D, with different sized tips it does everything I've ever needed from a soldering iron.

I've had this for over thirty years and even though I say so myself, I'm damn good with it :)

ZKaZ2wW.jpeg

I know exactly how long it takes to warm up to operating temperature. I switch it on, walk to the bathroom to wet the sponge and by the time I get back, it's ready to go.

That's almost exactly the same as my one, although mine has some bits of melted plastic on the casing...

An electrician neighbour gave it to me when I was about 12 or so as he was had just got a new better one.

I'm not great with it, as I haven't had much practice for the last 10 years or so but I'm still able to do the odd soldering job (one of the last ones was replacing the battery holder on an Astra's key fob).

Man of Honour
Yes... too many of them :s including my main 48 Watt temperature controlled solder station and even some USB ones which are surprisingly better than you'd think.

My first ever was an Antex XS which was great but when I tried to replace it about 2-3 years ago when I got back into electronics after a break of about 20 years the newer ones weren't even a fraction as good.

Fairly competent as I can hand solder SSOP-28.

Back
Top Bottom