Poll: Poll - Have you bought COD: MW2?

Have you bought COD: MW2?

• Yes, pre-ordered

Votes: 44 10.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • Yes, although I was originally boycotting it however it is not that bad.

Votes: 29 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 172 41.0%
  • No, boycotted it since the start and will not purchase on principle.

Votes: 93 22.1%
  • No, cancelled pre-order.

Votes: 31 7.4%

• Total voters
Soldato
For all the doubters how far behind the PC is now the infamous 420 of IW posted its @ 3% of total overall sales and then went on to say that it still sold more than COD4 in the first week :eek: I thought it was much higher so you have to wonder if that 3% means PC will get anymore COD titles.

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=183344&start=20

Remember that people have bought it bercause of the strength of the first one.

Just because xFactor and all that crap always gets the no1 is nothing to do with the skill or strength of their singing. Its advertisement every time.

Plus, because its now impossible to re-sell the game on the second hand market inflates the game sales artificially. How many people think, oh, Ill get that later when its cheaper 2nd hand. All of a sudden, they cant!

Soldato
OP
Also could be viewed as proof to those that shout about piracy on the 360 being just as bad as the PC scene just aren't right. Nearly 20 times the number of PC copies sold have been sold for the 360.

Maybe they just ****** off too many PC players and sales would have been higher were they not so stupid and not so flippant towards the PC platform.

Also, I doubt that after all this, they would admit to low PC sales, they would rather poke their eyes out with ho pokers.

Also, I dout they would admit to console piracey being significant as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
The important phrasing is 'in it's first week'

Implying that release week sales are better than CoD4, not that it has outsold total sales of it

Well of course it hasn't outsold its predecessor yet, it's only been out less than two weeks! The only stats that have been released that there are to go by are the release week sales as the second week of release isn't even finished yet. I'm simply saying the stats seem to show this so called 'boycott' having little impact on overall sales.

Soldato
They'd have done epically badly to not beat COD4s first week sales though, as that game didn't have anywhere near the hype this did. People were unsure of it, COD3 had been a bit gash (despite being a different studio, not everyone will know that about a game) and the modern setting was new ground for the series. I remember a lot scepticism the first time round about whether 'modern technology will make it too easy' etc. etc. etc. It accumulated sales over a long period.

The sequel arrived on much stronger ground and with a ferocious advertising build up.

I suspect if you graphed them over lifetime, MW1 will have shown an average to decent initial phase with maybe a slight rise (when it was confirmed and talked about as it was actually damn good) and then a slow but steady decline in sales. MW2 I expect will have a phenomenal first month but see a much sharper drop off afterwards, as this time round, everyone knew they wanted it and most will have got it straight away.

Associate
I managed to get a copy dirt cheap (£20) so I thought why not. I've loved every Call of Duty game. I thought the petition was to bring back dedicated servers not boycott the game.

Man of Honour
Nope, probably give it a go when it's cheaper. But modern warfare is never as fun or as balanced as ww2 setting. MW was nowhere near as good as WAW

Associate
Bought it, returned it. What really gets me is that some people have developed tools to re-enabe the dev console. IW see this, if I did I would spend an hour coding an official patch enabling the dev console, but IW spend even longer working on a patch to stop the tool working.

I dont think we need to worry about other titles following suite, if any other brand got 2 stars average on amazon and all this bad press it would probably finish them.

Why won't they just listen to us? They even released a statement saying we should be 'happy' and trying to tell us how good it is!

If they patch it up enabling the dev console and dedicated servers, I will buy it again.

Soldato
I managed to get a copy dirt cheap (£20) so I thought why not. I've loved every Call of Duty game. I thought the petition was to bring back dedicated servers not boycott the game.

That was what the petition was for but the boycott was to back it up and make them take notice of it and eventually also became more of a statement against how IW and Activision were treating the situation. A petition they can ignore (and have done). A petition backed up by everyone going 'fine, we won't buy your game then' would have had a chance at making an impact.

Clearly though, none of it really worked and Activision now know they can do whatever they want and if they market it well enough, everyone will buy it anyway, regardless of what they do to the games or how they treat prospective customers.

Soldato
No one should buy it after what they did, the people buying it on console when they would have got it on PC are even worse, these people are causing the fall of PC gaming.

I cancelled my pre-order and will never play FPS on console.

Back
Top Bottom