Poll: Poll: If there was a second brexit referendum

If there was a second Brexit referendum now, how would you vote?

• I still want to leave so I'd vote 'leave'

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I've changed my mind, I want to leave so I'd vote 'leave'

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I'm undecided so I don't know which way I'd vote

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I still want to stay so I'd vote 'stay'

Votes: 76 58.0%
  • I've changed my mind, I want to stay so I'd vote 'stay'

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • I didn't vote last time but I'd vote 'leave' now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't vote last time but I'd vote 'stay' now

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Where is the:

"I don't feel like a democratic vote should be changed just because some "high ups" wished it"

Option

that is either stay and stay or leave and leave depending on your opinion.

It is not undemocratic to have another vote on it anyway. It is just stupid to have another vote on it but no more stupid than having the initiation vote on it.

I can imagine many taking the cant be arsed to deal with this anymore mentality and just not turning up to vote. Likely these will be the people that actually decide the result rather than the small percentage of swing voters.

Question is, who has more remain or leave?

Man of Honour
In a bit of a strange position as I didn't vote last time - I believe the EU as an organisation is somewhat corrupt but more so badly in need of reform to bring it better inline with the needs of today so I can't really vote to stay but on the other hand I think countries should be working more together and engaging in closer interaction so I don't want to vote leave either.

However if there was a second referendum I'd have to vote stay - the leave crowd simply aren't putting their money where their mouth is - lots of shouting and big words but everyone seems to expect someone else to do the actual heavy weight lifting and investing their money in the areas we need to concentrate on to make a success of leaving and overall there doesn't seem to be an effective plan for leaving with it looking increasingly like leaving is going to do a lot of damage to the country.

Associate
why would it matter anyway?

the vote was never legally binding or enforcing the government to do anything... the government will do what they always do, do whats best for them and screw over everyone else whenever they can.

Theresa May might only actually hold another referendum if only to salvage some of her reputation and get the Brexit stone from around her neck

Soldato
Yeah it is.
If you ask the same question enough times you'll get a different answer.
If your intention is to keep asking until you get the answer you want, that's the same as not asking at all.
Which is undemocratic.
That is ridiculous

Firstly, it is Farage who has suggested a second referendum. Not a remainer or even our government. The intention is to put the debate to bed and to get a new public opinion now we have a better idea of the process. To not allow the people to let their opinion known -changed or not, is undemocratic.

You are saying that having just one vote with no one being allowed to ever change their opinion is the more democratic. That would make having regular elections undemocratic by definition.

I personally am against these stupid referendums anyway but to call it undemocratic because it may end in a different result... That is just a spectacular display of ignorance on your part

Last edited:
Permabanned
That would make having regular elections undemocratic by definition. You are saying that having just one vote with no one being allowed to ever change their opinion is the more democratic.
No it would be like having a general election, then deciding you didn't like the result so having another general election.

Soldato
that is either stay and stay or leave and leave depending on your opinion.

It is not undemocratic to have another vote on it anyway. It is just stupid to have another vote on it but no more stupid than having the initiation vote on it.

I can imagine many taking the cant be arsed to deal with this anymore mentality and just not turning up to vote. Likely these will be the people that actually decide the result rather than the small percentage of swing voters.

Question is, who has more remain or leave?

For those interested, I actually voted to stay.

Although a vote happened, and the result was to leave.

I don't believe that a second vote should be cast on this outcome.

Think of the propaganda that could have been at play to ensure the general public change their mind should (When in their mind) a second election takes place.

I am no conspiracy theorist, but even based on the idea that this could have took place.. makes it wrong to have another vote on something that had already been decided..

The general public voted to leave, ergo we leave.. No matter how strongly i wanted to stay.

Soldato
The poll on this thread is a nightmare :p

I voted to Remain in the EU, and I would vote to Remain in a Second Referendum.

Caporegime
Wait, what? Farage must be insane. Public opinion has turned against Brexit.

I haven't changed my mind; I'd still vote Remain.

Yet you chose to live in a non-EU country with immigration laws that Farage would have a wet dream over.

Asylum seekers all stuck on some island somewhere/shipped off to other countries and regular immigrants having to meet points requirements.

Soldato
No it would be like having a general election, then deciding you didn't like the result so having another general election.

No it wouldn't. It would be like having a general election and then having another when you suspect that it no longer may be representative of the publics view.

Who does not like the result and is calling for a new referendum exactly?

Farage is no remainer.

Soldato
Still Leave for me although I don't believe there should be a second vote (regardless of what the original outcome was, Stay or Leave).

"The country has changed it's mind" - When you look at those areas who voted Leave in the highest numbers, has anything changed in their local situation to make them change their mind in high enough numbers to make a difference? I'd say no that hasn't and that it's still the same situation for those people now as it was during the original vote, if not "worse" (deliberately in quote marks), so why would Leavers start changing their vote?

"Echo Chamber" - While I see lots of Pro-Remain media almost daily what I don't see is any reporting of the current situation in those communities that voted Leave in high numbers. So just like the original vote, the media has yet again become an echo chamber of "we want remain" without any balance, so of course Remainers will think the country has changed it's mind, because of the lack of balance they can't see anything in the media which may/may not tell them differently which, should another vote be called, will lead to the shame "shock/meltdown" if they lost again. The press did an awful job during the first vote which is why it was such a surprise to everyone when Leave won, yet if they'd done their jobs better and actually reported in area's like Boston etc (85%+ Leave vote) it may have made Remainers more aware of the under-current of discontent across the nation.

Man of Honour
I don't think the public would get another vote. I've accepted that we'll continue on this ridiculous and damaging path till the end; and probably rejoin in 20-30 years.

If we did, I'd obviously vote remain.

Ah, but would Europe have the U.K. back?
My elder son has lived in Germany for years now, ever since he married his German wife, he's no rocket scientist, but he ain't dumb, he said after the referendum, "Dad, I know that you no doubt voted to remain, I can't explain it properly to you, but I think that the U.K. has dropped a ******* of humungous proportions,
this will come back and bite the country in the **** big time eventually, thank Christ that I now have German Nationality."

Soldato
I voted Leave back then, but i'd be on the fence now. IO was back then but even more so now. I want us to be out of the EU still, but currently the entire government are making absolute fools of themselves.I have low confidence of us actually getting a decent parting deal, hence why i'd still want to leave, but may vote Stay hoping we get another referendum eventually where we have someone in charge who can actually get something positive for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom