POLL: Motorway speed limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
On the motorway it depends on the traffic but i try to hit 100 at times when the road is clear other than that stick to the limit.

When on the local roads i'll speed here and there if i know theres no cameras and police.

I mean everyone knows their local area so they will speed in the areas they want and keep to the limit in other areas.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Rob "Hooah!" Offer
How is breaking the law by speeding any different to drink driving? People have openly admitted breaking the law in here...

Drink driving affects your judgement seriously and has a high chance of resulting in an action.

Speeding does not do either of things if it's done appropriately.

You cannot compare the two.

Soldato
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
Drink driving affects your judgement seriously and has a high chance of resulting in an action.

Speeding does not do either of things if it's done appropriately.

You cannot compare the two.
Both endanger the lives of yourself and others, both affect your ability to control the vehicle. Both are illegal. I have compared the two.

Man of Honour
Both endanger the lives of yourself and others, both affect your ability to control the vehicle. Both are illegal. I have compared the two.

What a frankly pathetic generalisation.

Do you genuinely beleive the risk increases by a noticeable amount when travelling at 75mph? Do you beleive that 70 is some sort of a magic number, whereby below this speed you are Mr Safe and above it you are Mr Murderer?

You realise the speed limits were thought up by a bloke in a suit many years ago, don't you?

Soldato

No, the two are not properly comparable. The motorway speed limit could easily be changed to 80mph but you will not see any concessions for drinking going up wrt driving. Driving faster, unless it is stupidly fast, will endanger no one more, down a motorway. Drinking however will endanger far more as you have worse reactions, cannot properly account for the speed you are doing & you can get distracted easier.

Personally I normally drive at between 70 & 80 on the motorway, with occassional (i.e. minute long) bursts at a bit more depending on the situation.

Zod

Zod

Associate
The speed at whcih I drive on the motorway varies with the conditions. In clear, dry conditions, I tootle along at around 85mph. I rarely drive much faster than that in the UK because teh motorways are too busy and full of numpties. In adition, even though I have both a Road Angel and a Laser Diffuser, I never feel safe from detection.

My mpg tends to be in the low to mid 20's on the motorway, unless I just cruise, in which case it rises to the high 20's.

Soldato
Originally posted by eidolon
I never speed...........

BSmeter.jpg

Soldato
Originally posted by [TW]Fox
What a frankly pathetic generalisation.

Do you genuinely beleive the risk increases by a noticeable amount when travelling at 75mph? Do you beleive that 70 is some sort of a magic number, whereby below this speed you are Mr Safe and above it you are Mr Murderer?

You realise the speed limits were thought up by a bloke in a suit many years ago, don't you?
At no point did I, or yourself mention any sort of number regarding the speed. Use some common sense and youll realise Im not talking about 75mph

DCP

DCP

Associate
When I had my Nova (and my Fiat Uno before that) I used to (attempt) to race around and see how fast I could go :p

Now I've grown up (a bit), had a couple of accidents and 6 points on license (3 speeding, 3 jumping red light) and now drive a Volvo 340 1.7 I tend to drive a lot slower and carefuller. Not just because it saves money on petrol but (and as pointed out by a few already) it's more relaxing not to have to worry about cops or cameras and enjoy the drive...

What annoys me the most is people who blast down single track country lanes at ridiculous speeds, that's more dangerous than fast motorway driving IMHO...

Associate
Originally posted by Zod

My mpg tends to be in the low to mid 20's on the motorway, unless I just cruise, in which case it rises to the high 20's.

Yeah... I get about that.... I've generally given up on motorways tho as there are too many people driving craply causing me to slow down ... taking the A roads mean I can cruise at 90 and get up to 30mpg in me car. (of course I don't...I just can :p)

Back road/Short journeys I can get it down to ave 12 mpg over a tankful.

used to cruise at 100/110 when I had the ZZR.... But mr magistrate decided I couldn't drive for 3 weeks because of that....So now I have the KTM which I've geared to only do the ton!

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Zod

Ouch, what do you drive? Sounds like something pretty cool from those figures.

I love 50mpg, though.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by DCP
What annoys me the most is people who blast down single track country lanes at ridiculous speeds, that's more dangerous than fast motorway driving IMHO...
If we're talking about daylight hours, then I agree with you.

At night it's a whole different ball game ;)

Man of Honour
At no point did I, or yourself mention any sort of number regarding the speed. Use some common sense and youll realise Im not talking about 75mph

You said speeding. 75mph is speeding.

HTH, HAND.

Zod

Zod

Associate
It's a nine month old M3 and I drive it enthusiastically.:D

And I like to take it onto the continent, where the speeds are more in accordance with the car's capabilities:cool: .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom