Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Caporegime
As per title, during the lockdown my Irish colleague kept going on about porridge with such fervour that I decided to try it again. I eat oats with milk sometimes, but porridge was something I hadn't made since I was really young. Holy crap... it's amazing. I make it with oats and milk in the microwave, add a long squeeze of honey at the end and mix it in, and it tastes like a michelin star dish.

I now eat it most days as a breakfast/lunch (interspersed with the occasional omelette) and in addition to being so tasty and satisfying it has also really helped me to lose some some belly fat as it keeps me going far longer than other foods.

Anyone else love porridge and have any suggestions for recipes or variations?:)

Permabanned
Aye. Used to eat it every day before gym session pre Covid but hadn't touched it again since the start of this week. It really is the best breakfast. Make mine with Almond milk, salt, a touch of honey and sometimes a teaspoon of good quality cocoa powder. Just so good!

Soldato
I too have rediscovered it during lockdown.

I have 60g of oats with 200ml water and 50ml oat milk. Stir in 2 teaspoons of sugar, great start to the day, keeps me full far longer than toast/cereal does and it's very cheap.

Sometimes some frozen fruit goes in.

Soldato
Over the last 16 months there's probably only a handful of mornings I've not had it for breakfast, it's part of my weight loss diet.

I make it the night before, 55g of oats, 125ml of almond milk and 125ml of water. Pinch of salt and then leave it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I heat it on the stove and mix in a calorie free syrup for flavouring. Love it!

Soldato
I eat loads of porridge. This week's post turbo-trainer breakfast has been porridge made with SS milk in the microwave, then topped with a spoon of maple syrup and a banana. Does a pretty good job to see me through to lunch without wanting to raid the pantry for a snack!

Struggled to find oats early in lockdown, so ended up buying a 6kg case of Mornflake Superfast Oats from Amazon which I'm still working through.

Soldato
Porridge is great, especially in cold weather.

I like to cut up some fruit, it's nice with bananas or blueberries. It's also very nice with a dollop of jam or something in.

Caporegime
OP
It's okay but it's no michelin star :p

I like to put in 1 square of dark chocolate, along with the honey.

Or some dried cranberries and raisins, again with honey or a sprinkle of brown sugar.

Or Apple and cinnamon.
A square of dark chocolate? You saucy bugger. :eek:

And yes, the taste is so good it's genuinely top-tier for me... I enjoy the overall taste and experience as much as many fine dining foods I have had. It's amazing how such a simple food can be so enjoyable in taste and texture. :D

Aye. Used to eat it every day before gym session pre Covid but hadn't touched it again since the start of this week. It really is the best breakfast. Make mine with Almond milk, salt, a touch of honey and sometimes a teaspoon of good quality cocoa powder. Just so good!

Over the last 16 months there's probably only a handful of mornings I've not had it for breakfast, it's part of my weight loss diet.

I make it the night before, 55g of oats, 125ml of almond milk and 125ml of water. Pinch of salt and then leave it in the fridge overnight. In the morning I heat it on the stove and mix in a calorie free syrup for flavouring. Love it!

I eat loads of porridge. This week's post turbo-trainer breakfast has been porridge made with SS milk in the microwave, then topped with a spoon of maple syrup and a banana. Does a pretty good job to see me through to lunch without wanting to raid the pantry for a snack!

Porridge is great, especially in cold weather.

I like to cut up some fruit, it's nice with bananas or blueberries. It's also very nice with a dollop of jam or something in.

Good tips, thanks! I use semi-skimmed UHT milk (I actually found one that tastes very much like 'normal' milk and lastes ages... I'm not joking) and it turns out lovely when thickened. :)

Last edited:
Associate
If you freeze chopped up ripe banana, you can use that to cool it down aswell :D
I have jumbo flavahans with cinnamon, chopped nuts and frozen banana.

Soldato
My wife has been a porridge eater for years, although i've only really got into it since lockdown and working from home.

I tend to throw in fruit, we just buy a bunch each week and throw it in (Apple, figs, plum, pears, bananas, blueberries etc, they all work)

My personal favourite is banana, peanut butter and honey.

Pet Northerner
Don
I always cook it on the stove with a mashed banana, 1 tbsp Honey and 1 tbsp flax seed along with a bit cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves :)

If I then have any, I'll chop some berrys to put on top

Caporegime
OP
My wife has been a porridge eater for years, although i've only really got into it since lockdown and working from home.

I tend to throw in fruit, we just buy a bunch each week and throw it in (Apple, figs, plum, pears, bananas, blueberries etc, they all work)

My personal favourite is banana, peanut butter and honey.

I like dried fruit in mine. Or tinned prunes. Honey.

Sometimes I just go plain with salt.

What... no... why... I can't even... :eek::mad::(

Monsters.

Soldato
You're all making me crave hot porridge even though I'm sitting here sweating whilst WFH :p

We do overnight oats most days but occasionally do porridge if we forget or particularly fancy it. It's a great breakfast.

Soldato
I must eat my body weight in oats every month!

I have overnight oats in summer months, and cooked porridge in the winter months (where I prefer a hot breakfast).

I've not read the whole thread, but have a look at doing some overnight oats too. Just mix oats and milk (almond drink in my case) and leave it overnight. You can jazz it up with anything too, or add fresh fruit in the morning too. No prep the next day, just open the fridge, top it, and eat.

I've just started dabbling with steel cut oats (as opposed the rolled oats you use in porridge). They take a lot longer to cook, but have a richer taste I've found so far, and more creamy consistency - but that can depend on how long you cook them for.

Soldato
I keep it plain, myself.
Water with proper big rolled oats, not the stupid milled kind. Pinch of salt or squeeze of good Scottish heather honey.
It does have to be done on the hob, though. Microwaving it just makes it into thick rubbery *****.

I was once accused of being a porridge snob, by someone who then asserted that some (barely) famous Scottish bloke once said, "Porridge is what you eat when you can't afford anything better"... so presumably because that bloke was a famous Scot (and while I am a Scot, I'm not famous), his word is gospel on the matter.... I then pointed out that Her Majesty herself is quite the fan of porridge, despite being able to afford swan for every meal, if she so chose.

What... no... why... I can't even... :eek::mad::(
Monsters.
Oh do calm down, Mavis... It's not like he's putting ham & pineapple on it!!!

Back
Top Bottom