Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Soldato
Porridge is like tea, it doesn't matter how warm it is, I still crave it. So many good flavourings - cacao powder, peanut butter and banana, plain with salt, cinnamon and date, salt/sugar with a tbsp of proper butter...

Associate
There’s a place near me that does peanut butter by just grinding the nuts themselves. With no added sugar I can have a big lump of that in with sliced banana. It’s so good.

Associate
Flahavans jumbo oats - not been able to eat the standard oats since. Topped with berries, almond butter and if I’m feeling frisky a little cream

Soldato
As per title, during the lockdown my Irish colleague kept going on about porridge with such fervour that I decided to try it again. I eat oats with milk sometimes, but porridge was something I hadn't made since I was really young. Holy crap... it's amazing. I make it with oats and milk in the microwave, add a long squeeze of honey at the end and mix it in, and it tastes like a michelin star dish.

I now eat it most days as a breakfast/lunch (interspersed with the occasional omelette) and in addition to being so tasty and satisfying it has also really helped me to lose some some belly fat as it keeps me going far longer than other foods.

Anyone else love porridge and have any suggestions for recipes or variations?:)

Been eating it daily for years now, absolutely love it, though I'd recommend cooking it on the hob rather than microwaving it.

When my cooker packed in a couple of years ago I had to use the microwave for a couple of weeks and it just doesn't taste as creamy.

I've tried various additions over the years, my favourite now is to add a good few shakes of cinnamon, then add full fat greek yoghurt, frozen blueberries/raspberries/strawberries , sunflower seeds and a tablespoon of various fruit conserves or honey.

Keeps me going for hours.

Caporegime
Had it this morning, delicious. Nothing like a mahoosive bowl of it with almond milk and some blueberries on top. Lovely and creamy. :)

Associate
I have it every day at work. So do several of my colleagues.
My favourite for convenience and taste is adding squeezy strawberry jam. Mixes very well.
Swear by Sistema bowls too. I pre-weigh my oaks night before so i dont over do my portions.

Caporegime
OP
Been eating it daily for years now, absolutely love it, though I'd recommend cooking it on the hob rather than microwaving it.

When my cooker packed in a couple of years ago I had to use the microwave for a couple of weeks and it just doesn't taste as creamy.

I've tried various additions over the years, my favourite now is to add a good few shakes of cinnamon, then add full fat greek yoghurt, frozen blueberries/raspberries/strawberries , sunflower seeds and a tablespoon of various fruit conserves or honey.

Keeps me going for hours.

Sounds like pro-level porridge. Proridge?

I too got into it for a while. I was eating every day, sometimes twice, then I remembered bacon. Now I tend to cook myself a nice streaky bacon sandwich to start my day. I annoy myself by how much of a faddy eater I am.
A bacon sarnie every morning? That's unhealthy dude. :p

Soldato
Porridge is lovely stuff. It's one of my ultimate comfort foods and I've eaten it regularly for years.

Something I've rediscovered over lockdown though is PEK ham. Sliced quite thinly and briefly fried over a high heat, served in a roll with a fried egg.

Disprove that, atheists. :D

Back
Top Bottom