Porridge... during the lockdown I rediscovered it and now eat it almost every day.

Soldato
I love porriidge and used to eat it every day until I realised it was that what was causing my really bad constipation.

Fibre's meant to have the opposite effect so dunno what was going on there but it definitely went away as soon as I knocked the porridge on the head
here is a study regarding inflammation and oats, you maybe be sensitive to them..
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24240659/

Soldato
Love porridge. Either proper Scottish rolled oats with a bit of nutmeg and Demerara sugar or cornmeal porridge. I tend to not eat it much through the warmer months but now it's getting colder I'll be having it daily again.

Even when I was working in the office I'd still have oats so simple with me. Not as good but still scratches that itch

Associate
I like to do it overnight oats style with some whey protein mixed in and then add mixed berries just before eating. Easy to Chuck in the bag and take to work if I don’t have time to eat it at home (less relevant now I’m home working 80% of the time)

I haven’t been eating it much for the last few months but I will probably get back on it after reading this thread

Associate
Then porridge shouldn't be causing you any issues. You might have an underlying issue if I had to guess it's probably lactose intolerance if you are making it with dairy milk.

But it could be anything.
Then porridge shouldn't be causing you any issues. You might have an underlying issue if I had to guess it's probably lactose intolerance if you are making it with dairy milk.

But it could be anything.

Yeah it did occur to me it could be the milk because I dont ever have milk unless its with porridge. I might try some made just with water

Soldato
I had some leftover coconut milk, and used it 50/50 with water for my morning porridge. It's so good and so creamy, but not sure it's very good for my weight loss!

Soldato
True, it will depend on what exactly you buy. I buy this one, which is the one I was talking about. What I was really trying to say is you can have coconut milk or other types of milk alternative and still keep it very low cal.

Soldato
Coconut milk is very low calorie. The one I sometimes use is only 13 per 100ml and 125ml goes into my porridge. Same for Unsweetened Alpro Almond Milk, which I prefer to use.

It was just a tin of coconut milk, rather than one of the ones from a carton. I usually just use 100% water as I'm trying to cut out excess calories. Tasty, but definitely not healthy as Richdog has said.

Caporegime
OP
True, it will depend on what exactly you buy. I buy this one, which is the one I was talking about. What I was really trying to say is you can have coconut milk or other types of milk alternative and still keep it very low cal.
It was just a tin of coconut milk, rather than one of the ones from a carton. I usually just use 100% water as I'm trying to cut out excess calories. Tasty, but definitely not healthy as Richdog has said.
Heh I use 100% milk which suits me fine as I am a slim jim and I need the calcium and Omega 3!

Associate
I got into porridge for a while, just with a little bit of honey or cinnamon ... but I find it's one of those things that as soon as you've have a break from your routine and have a bit of toast or something you realise how sick of it you actually were and had just stuck it out because of routine (or pig-headedness) ... but I get others might appreciate it differently.

Soldato
Perhaps. But I can barely function in the mornings. Trying to decide what to eat for breakfast to "mix things up" would be a nightmare. Hence overnight oats for me every day :p

Soldato
It's a weird psychological thing that most people, including me, are happy eating the same breakfast nearly every day but eating the same dinner will make you nauseous after a while. Day 4 of leftovers usually does it for me!

Caporegime
OP
It's a weird psychological thing that most people, including me, are happy eating the same breakfast nearly every day but eating the same dinner will make you nauseous after a while. Day 4 of leftovers usually does it for me!
Yeah, maybe it's partlybecause it's the first meal of the day and I am so hungry that my brain tells me to love anything that goes in my mouth... but whether I eat porridge, or just the oats soaked in milk with honey, it tastes like heaven. I mean I literally savour every mouthful like I've been on a desert island eating nothing but rats for a month and then someone finds me and hands me a freshly made club sandwich. That's how it makes me feel.

Soldato
I got into porridge for a while, just with a little bit of honey or cinnamon ... but I find it's one of those things that as soon as you've have a break from your routine and have a bit of toast or something you realise how sick of it you actually were and had just stuck it out because of routine (or pig-headedness) ... but I get others might appreciate it differently.

Definitely the latter case for me.

I actively look forward to my morning porridge, it's my favourite meal of the day.

I rarely have anything else, and if I do, I ask myself why am I not eating porridge instead!

Mind you, it isn't really just porridge considering I add cinnamon, sunflower seeds, full fat Greek style yoghurt, frozen fruit and a dollop of jam conserve. :)

Caporegime
OP
Definitely the latter case for me.

I actively look forward to my morning porridge, it's my favourite meal of the day.

I rarely have anything else, and if I do, I ask myself why am I not eating porridge instead!

Mind you, it isn't really just porridge considering I add cinnamon, sunflower seeds, full fat Greek style yoghurt, frozen fruit and a dollop of jam conserve. :)
The only other thing that makes me lick my chops in delight is a French rustic omelette with Gruyere cheese in it... but the effort levels are so much higher than porridge, not to mention calroies, that it is an infrequent treat in comparison.,

Back
Top Bottom