1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche Cayman advice

Discussion in 'Motors' started by merlin, 22 Oct 2009.

1. merlin

Capodecina

My boss has decided to ditch the heap he's been driving around in for years and treat himself to a newish sports car.

I've just sucessfully managed to get through to him that a Mercedes SL350 is in fact for all the spec sheet codswallop - a bit lame, and that an Audi A5 coupe is not a sports car.

So, I've got him thinking straight I suggested a Cayman and he likes it.

Will drag him over to Porsche Solihull in a week or so but basically - what will £40,000 get him?

2. jamief

Soldato

Cracking car - I think that should get him a Cayman S, don't think it'd stretch to the PDK gearbox though.

EDIT: It'd get him an even better specced 1 year old one though.

3. Housey

Man of Honour

If he buys nearly new it will get him a lot, if he buys new quite a bit less. I was offered one of the last Gen 1 Cayman S models with lots of bits for £42K, which was listed at £52ish. Porsche simply won't give new car discounts unless its an end of generation car and even then they wont promote the fact. If new it is simply a case of building a spec using the Porsche configurator until you hit the price really.

4. merlin

Capodecina

Don't want new - we want some other sucker to have taken the VAT on the chin and preferrably the first years depreciation too.

5. peterattheboro

Capodecina

Was it your Dad who had that totally awesome Cayman S with Aerokit?

6. Housey

Man of Honour

Did being the operative word, it's long gone now saddly. I believe he traded back to Sutton OPC but I have not seen it in their stock list. THAT would have made an epic car as it was perfect like all my fathers cars. NOT A MARK!

7. peterattheboro

Capodecina

Sounds like it's got snapped up pretty sharpish then :cool:

8. Fr0dders

Caporegime

9. Housey

Man of Honour

Knowing the car I don't imagine it ever made the forecourt, one of the salesman or salesmans family, mechanic or friend will have got it!

10. Jez

Caporegime

Make sure that he at least tests both and that you understand his needs. The SL is a very different beast to a Cayman. It is a much better quality, much much more comfortable and luxurious car. There is also the fact that it is a convertible! As a trade off its dynamics are pretty much the polar oposite to the caymans.

I'd have the SL all day long, much nicer car.

11. naefeart

Mobster

Did the SLs manage to escape the build quality problems that seem to effect a lot of the mercs from 2001 onwards?

I'm basically referring to the poor interiors (nasty, nasty plastics) and the strange rust issues that apparently didn't completely disappear with the pre 2001 C & E class mercs.

n

12. Jez

Caporegime

I am no expert on the C&E's of this era, but the higher end models including SL didnt generally suffer these quality issues. There were some rust issues on the earlier cars but the examples in budget will not be affected :)

13. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The SL is absolutely far from being 'utter codswallop', it is infact a truely excellent car. It is not a precision instrument, though, it's a fast luxury GT. But this doesn't make it codswallop and although previous 6 pot SL's were the poor relation the current SL350 is a decent engine as well.

A5's suck though. Yet more Vorsprung Dull Technik.

14. merlin

Capodecina

I said the spec sheet codswallop, not the car is codswallop.

The SL350 is reasonably sound, but it's fat, lazy and not particularly quick.

God only knows how he come to think of the A5 as a sports car.

Bottom line is he wants a reliable, solid, reputable, comfortable precision implement, so it's 9/10 on to be a Cayman S as he's not a BMW fan.

15. peterattheboro

Capodecina

Is a used Carrera S out of the question?

16. Rotty

Don

don't get PDK

other than that £40k will get a near new, good spec S

17. merlin

Capodecina

He wants a stick anyway, keep things simple and organic.

911 - nope, too much £.

18. Jez

Caporegime

If he was looking at SL's then i really do not understand the Cayman as a suggestion? Its dynamically pretty much the complete opposite to an SL with a completely different feature set. Someone who wants an SL wont want a Cayman, and vica verca.

19. Bear

Capodecina

Was going to get excited as I thought you were getting the car, dont really know why. Backs out of thread.

20. merlin

Capodecina

I have the 325D M Sport for 2 years and then after that so long as business continues as it has been - it's party time.

Sorry dude, you're gonna have to wait a bit ;)