Porsche Cayman advice

Soldato
OP
If he was looking at SL's then i really do not understand the Cayman as a suggestion? Its dynamically pretty much the complete opposite to an SL with a completely different feature set. Someone who wants an SL wont want a Cayman, and vica verca.

The only thing he knows about cars is what his mates in the pub spout out.

One of his mates suggested an SL350, the other an Audi A5 Coupe.

He's now asking me as he's quickly realised he's pub mates are talking out of their poopers.

I simply asked him - what do you want in the car? He instantly started talking about a race car feel for when he's on his own and wants some fun, but with some refinement and class etc so he could take the Mrs out on a weekend to a posh pub, park it up and admire it from the pub garden.

Soldato
The only thing he knows about cars is what his mates in the pub spout out.

One of his mates suggested an SL350, the other an Audi A5 Coupe.

He's now asking me as he's quickly realised he's pub mates are talking out of their poopers.

I simply asked him - what do you want in the car? He instantly started talking about a race car feel for when he's on his own and wants some fun, but with some refinement and class etc so he could take the Mrs out on a weekend to a posh pub, park it up and admire it from the pub garden.

CATERHAM!!!! :p

Soldato
If he was looking at SL's then i really do not understand the Cayman as a suggestion? Its dynamically pretty much the complete opposite to an SL with a completely different feature set. Someone who wants an SL wont want a Cayman, and vica verca.

Based on him having been driving a 'heap' when he's clearly not short of a bob or 2 and thinking an A5 would pass as a sports car I'm guessing that the guy is clearly not a car enthusiast and probably doesn't really know what he wants beyond badge and styling preferences. Probably best to get him to try a range of options at different levels of the comfort/performance compromise and see what he likes and dislikes about them to try and develop a better idea of what he actually wants.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime

Ah, ok :) Hard set of requirements really then, bit of a curveball - BMW 6-series. Sort of like an SL, but drives and rides like a BMW for that "sporty" feel he wants?

Associate

Obviously totally depends on the bloke but I'd say the SL would fit the bill better.

The Cayman would be able to do all of that but the ride is easily more harsh than the SL (well at least with the 19" wheels) and for the missus factor the SL is easier to climb in and out of!

Soldato
As in - has carpets, doesn't rattle, has aircon etc....

My car has carpets, doesn't rattle (it had a creak from the hood though) and has aircon but it's far from refined.

The engine howls, the exhaust is loud, the gearbox whines and the suspension is firm. The Cayman is even firmer but I guess it's probably a bit less noisy due to having a proper roof.

Associate
The new Z4 is excellent aswell. I have had a 3.0 since the 1st of september and it is significantly better than the equivalent Merc. Try the 35i version which is really quick and a great deal can be had on a fully loaded 6 month old one. £40k will get you one with everything and the new DCT box which is great.

Man of Honour
Speak to the dealers and get 1 of each delivered to his offices, that would be my advice. Let him drive them all, you'll probably need to have a go too so when you discuss the merits of each car is from a standpoint of recent experience (honest) and let him make the call. Once he has the preferred car he can seek the right deal/spec. Going to dealers is hard work, get them to come to you....I mean him.

Back
Top Bottom